1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drove 328i, Accord Sport, Leaf, Rav4 and Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cycledrum, Apr 26, 2015.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2010 BMW 328i 4 door, 70k miles : This only the 2nd BMW I've driven (besides my friend's 1989 535). It was at Fremont Acura. I didn't understand the buttons (i.e. adjust side mirrors) at all, it's so different than Japanese cars. This had the inline 6 cylinder, I think 3.0L ? Engine sounded like it meant business just idling. Not a large car, yet offers more than enough legroom and headroom. It drove and handled just as good as 'they say' BMWs do. Plently of power and I'm sure lots in reserve. It was just a very nice car to drive plainly and simply, and it was quite comfortable.

2015 Honda Accord Sport (sedan) : I've been eyeballing this model for quite a while. It's roomy and drives nicely, but I wouldn't consider it further unless I rented one for a day or two or three. I'm right at the limit with driver legroom and end up tilting the whole seat quite a bit. May or may not be enough. These cars are fairly quick and have very smooth CVTs. The LXs and EX 4 cylinder CVTs are rated at 31 mpg combined and have 185 horsepower. .

2015 Nissan Leaf - Futuristic for sure. Steering was very light and docile in the lot,. It actually had a pretty docile response from a standing start. Very quiet being all electric. It was a really neat car and seemed so advanced, but I didn't like it personally. I told the salesguy it has 'Japanese' driver seating: Not much legroom and seat itself is small.
    Some owner was at the charge station at Nissan plugging Chademo into his car. Says he needs to charge for a half hour and prefers to do it at Nissan cause charges are free for first two years. He didn't seem to mind hanging around the dealership. What a large connector that Chademo is.
    Leaf is a 'neat' car, but it's not for me. I'd like to own an EV if I find the right one at right time.

2015 Rav4 XLE AWD - These babys are about $29k sticker although it is a mid level trim and AWD. The steering was super light in the parking lot, like video game light. Very well behaved car, but I didn't get into it all that much: I'd need the power driver seat cause the excessive seat cushion tilt was annoying the whole drive. The Limited's have the power driver seat and that just gets too darn pricey. Maybe a used Rav4 would work.

2015 Camry Hybrid SE - they finally put out the SE without sunroof. I was reluctant to drive this one cause I've said nah before. Bottom line is Camry Hybrid is MUCH more car than a Prius: Lot more power, feels planted to ground in turns. quieter. Interior is much more appealing and 'sexy' than any trim or model of Prius I've been in. I'm sort of interested, but wouldn't pursue further unless renting for couple weeks.

As far as a 'driver's car' , best I could tell, the 5 year old BMW 328i with 70k miles beat all the rest here.

#1 cycledrum, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    alekska likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    love your reviews cd, keep 'em coming!(y)

cycledrum likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know.
    My neighbor use to have a BMW Z3.
    Which I thought and still think is a beautiful automobile.

But...at least every two months I'd think she had bought a "New" BMW because there would be a different one parked in her spot, but every time it was the dealership service department "loaner". Her BMW Z3 was in for service so much it hardly seemed worth it.

I think BMW builds some beautiful, great feeling, driving vehicles, but I don't think I'd want ownership just based on a reliability/practicality standpoint.

PLSPUSH and ftl like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    think of all the beemers you get to drive though, all for the price of one.:p

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a happy Prius owner, and his comments about the ultimate driver's car!

My endorsement video of my 2005 Toyota Prius - The Best Car in the World.

cycledrum likes this.