1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Drove Accord and Camry Hybrids - Not Impressed

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Nov 3, 2014.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Title says it all. Test drove 2014 Hybrid Accord Touring and 2015 Hybrid Camry XLE recently. In respect to ride, handling and comfort, nothing has changed in 30 years. The Accord still has much better handling, at the cost of stiffer ride comfort, and the Camry still has sloppy steering, but more comfortable ride. Can we kplease find a halfway point? Maybe the Ford hits that, but I'll never know, since the wife is afraid her long dead father will haunt her from his chain smoking grave if she ever drives a Ford!

Seriously, as Consumer Reports and other reviewers have noted, the Accord hybrid has a real bumpety-bump ride for some reason; possibly even worse than the Prius. On relatively smooth city streets, we felt every imperfection in the road, slightly muted, but still fairly annoying. Everything else was fine. Nice interior finishes, OK but not great electronics and displays, plenty of acceleration, good steering feel, and the wife liked the exterior styling. Stereo was probably better than Camry.

Camry has made a really big deal about how they replaced all the sheet metal and are now bold, exciting and styling! SNORE, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... I know I'm supposed to notice they put a few creases in the side panel, but seriously, I would have a hard time noticing the differences between my 2007 Camry and the 2015. It is marginally better than the 2014, which I really did not like for some reason. The interior finishes and electronics are definitely improved, though. It rode smoothly, and handling is better than the 2007, in that they seem to have gotten rid of the wallowing motion of the ocean feel. Couldn't believe how loose the steering ratio was. Not impressed by what was supposed to be high end stereo.

All in all, I'm having a hard time getting excited by either car, and am seriously considering a CRV instead. It's either that or hold my nose and lease for 3 years, by which time the low end Tesla should finally be here, along with a few other new plug-in or EV options (e.g. new models of Volt and Leaf, Mitshubishi SUV etc.). Was excited by the Lexus NX 300h, till I heard the MPG ratings and pricing....

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what makes the world go round.:) try the avalon? btw, is it all about you, or your wife?

3. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you test drive a 2015 Camry SE Hybrid? It has different steering and suspension than the XLE models. Perhaps that is the balance that you're looking for...

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Making the ride stiffer would not make me happier. Connection to the road and body lean were not issues, just the slop in the steering. If anything, a bit more ride cushion would be nice, so long as it doesn't make it wallow like the 2007 model. According to the reviews, the differences in handling between SE and XLE are marginal at best. You give up a few features with SE and also give up the option to get the PCS and dynamic radar cruise control (but good luck finding one with those installed). The regular camry now has an XSE version which theoretically is the best of both worlds, but they don't have that for the hybrid. The 2015 Hycams are still trickling in down here in Texas, so it took awhile to find one to drive.

FYI, the accelerator was very touchy until I put it in eco mode. I guess it must have been in sport mode before I did that. Couldn't find the visual cue on the dashboard to tell me what mode I was in.

Beyond driving issues, maybe it's just sedans in general I'm bored with? especially since the only mildly attractive difference between 2007 and 2015 is a slightly better tech package (e.g., bluetooth, etc.).

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They haven't changed, because that's what people want looking for that car. If you want a numb ride, you go for a Toyota or Lexus. If you want a ricer style ride, you go for Honda. If you want to break your back over every pebble in the road, drive a US-spec BMW. Just how it is. Lots of people love that the camry is so floaty.

F8L likes this.
  6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. I like it. Consider taking one for a test drive.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's probably not 80 years old like us.

Okinawa likes this.
  8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You have probably got that exactly right.

#8 Okinawa, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the floaty feeling. makes me feel twenty years younger.:p

usnavystgc likes this.
  10. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A Camry or Accord aren't impressive? Shocking.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i find the camry very impressive. and probably would an accord as well.

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, I don't have one foot in the grave like you guys, but I ain't t no spring chicken neither! I start gagging when the cost starts climbing past $35,000. I just checked, and list price for an Avalon Touring with dynamic cruise is $47,000+. I'm sure the ride is better, but not wild about the interior, and don't really want to spend that much. May as well spring for the Lexus NX at that price. Think Ill see if my wife wants to test the BMW i3 on a $369 lease...

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think our Camry Hybrids are different to yours. I assume you have the same ones that they have in China, which look like our Avalons. Our Camry Hybrids are made in Australia.

I test-drove the latest Camry Hybrid Luxury (the top of the two-model range) when it came out in .... ummm .... maybe 2012, not because I was considering buying one, but because there was a free draw to win one if you test-drove one. I didn't win it. But anyway, I did like the car. That said, it was pretty soft. If you were more of a handlingy person, I reckon it would seem a bit wallowy and the steering would seem vague, but then I was coming from a Prius, so the steering seemed like, well, steering.

I do not know. If I had multiple parking spaces, I'd probably get a nice sporty car with good handling for some fun, but I would still want something intensely boring, quiet and smooth - a Prius, or a Camry Hybrid, or whatever - for everyday use. I want something that deals with Sydney's speed humps and low-speed driving, and deals with the occasional bit of motorway driving. For that, the steering doesn't have to be precise or have feel or anything: it just needs to point the car in the right direction. We do have some lovely curvy mountain roads an hour or so from home, and I'd love to drive them in a taut, precise-handling car. But it's not something I'll be doing every day, or even every month, so it's not a priority.

Count yourself lucky being able to test an Accord Hybrid. We don't have them here. And we don't have Avalon hybrids. Or Corolla/Auris hybrids. Or any GM hybrid, other than the Volt/Ampera. Or any Ford, Kia or Hyundai hybrid. The only hybrids we have are the Prius, the Camry, the Lexus IS, NX, ES, RX, CT and GS, and one E-class Mercedes.

It's weird. They don't sell because everyone thinks they live a rugged country lifestyle and a hybrid would not be appropriate. We have one of the most urbanised populations in the world, and most people drive out of the city five or six times a year. We should be the perfect hybrid market, but we're not because we pretend we're not.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Motorcycles are great fun, very sporty, and easy to park. :)

fotomoto and F8L like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and dangerous.;)

Okinawa likes this.
  16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm..... I have no sense of balance.

And I'm not so old or so far from my parents that my Mum wouldn't get on a plane and come to Australia and kill me if she found out I'd bought a motorbike.

17. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    47000 with dynamic cruise? I have a new as of last December 13 Avalon Hybrid Touring, no dynamic cruise, but I paid $33,000, sure you weren't looking at a Lexus? Avalons I'm sure are selling at deep discounts, just test drive one, you might just like it.

18. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I bought a new 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring in May. It does not have dynamic cruise. I paid $33,000 for mine. $47,000 for one with dynamic cruise?

#18 Okinawa, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hyav is the only toyota hybrid with an increase in sales this year. maybe they aren't giving them away?

20. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, I did something wrong before, or got it confused with something else, or added in other options. Maybe I am old and befuddled after all! You can only get PCS with the "Limited" model. The base Limited MRSP is $41,650 in my zip code, and the "Technology Package" is $1,950 (includes the wireless phone charger), and the delivery is $890, for a grand total of $42,540. They have 0% for 60 months right now, or a $299 24 month lease with $2,500 down. US news seems to think I could expect to knock $5,200 off the price.

I'm still not excited by the Avalon looks or interior, but maybe I could learn to love it for 24 months. All this assumes I could find a model with the tech package, which often seems to be nearly impossible for Toyota and Lexas. The say the PCS is available, and then they never actually ship cars with it installed!

Another boring factor in all this is the color choices, which are really poor for the camry, and are only slightly better in the Avalon. How many shades of white, grey and black do they need? Even the Parisian Blue is almost black.