1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

That moment I dreaded... thankfully did not happen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by OceanEyes, Dec 28, 2012.

1. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Picture this... in left hand turn lane to get on expressway to home after running work errands and a quick visit to the grocery store and pharmacy since they are predicting 5 inches of snow and I have yet to see how southeastern CT deals with "snow". Traffic is quietly waiting in line. I find my place in line - no traffic anywhere except in front of me. Leave enough space, just in case. And that "just in case" almost happened...

A moment later I just glance in the rear view mirror at the lights approaching my bumper, way too fast and the driver looking down instead of up - could see this because he had a hat on and there was "no face" and then "a face". Braced for the hit but he looked up at the last minute and hit the brakes hard but was still way too close for my comfort.

What the **** was he looking down for?! I was very lucky... but some folks are not. I am so not ready to visit a body shop - just getting ready to roll the odometer to 3K and wondering when my Prius's 5K "checkup" is going to need to happen...kind of like those "well-baby doctor visits" back in "the baby days" (mine are almost 23 and 21)....

Still holding my breath... :confused:

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    He was probably rehearsing for a Code Red commercial; shocking.

OceanEyes likes this.
  3. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In these days of massive driver distractions, I try to remember to leave plenty of "just in case" space in front of me when stopped at a light and keep one eye on the rearview mirror for approaching traffic. I've had a number of instances when calmly easing forward kept an inattentive driver's front bumper out of my trunk.

OceanEyes likes this.
  4. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Or a Depends commercial...:eek:

5. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Or in the case of a Prius, out of my back seat...

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have on occasion when cars are coming up fast or I have a sudden stop to give a extra warning put on my hazard lights. I would say honk the horn but the Prius horn is a bit underpowered. A saint Christopher metal can't hurt. I believe they sell extra bright brake lights but perhaps not for the Prius.

OceanEyes likes this.
  7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I honked the person in front of me would have uttered "#@^%##?!"... the person behind me was too busy to notice except for the sudden appearance of the backside of a Prius, since we are somewhat invisible until impact..."

My grandpa always had a St. Christopher medal he wore... just had to say a quick thanks for St. Christopher and grandpa this evening....:)

JMD likes this.