1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

That new car film inside windows

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abq sfr, Apr 4, 2007.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 2007 Prius has the same problem my 2000 Sienna had when new... the interior plastic and fabric are degassing so much it is coating the inside of the windows, making it difficult to see when heading into the sun. I guess that's the source of the "new car smell". I've tried using Windex, that just smears it around. Got any good suggestions for some cleaner that will cut through it? Maybe if I leave the windows open half an inch it will vent out and not redeposit. You gotta wonder about the health benefits of those gases... I think I remember high nitrates or something.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use ArmorAll AutoGlass glass cleaner.

Tom

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use Meguiar's NXT glass cleaner. (And the smell will drive you insane. :D )

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Apr 4 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]417787[/snapback]</div>
    A thin layer of plastic will protect your lungs from dust, pollution, and oxygen. Not only that but it gives you lungs a healthy looking sheen that will last for decades. :D

I've wondered about that too.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  6. aapopper

aapopper New Member

I do one of two things. either of them seem to work:

1) Invisible Glass by, I believe, Stoner. A spray of that followed by wiping dry with a paper towel does the job for me.

2) A damp microfibre cloth followed by a paper towel rubdown.

I believe I saw the Invisible Glass at Wal-mart just the other day. In any case, I've seen it in the Advance Autoparts stores in my area. Stores of the same type in your area most likely will keep it as well.

Personally, my preference is #2.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Invisible Glass works for me. Many glass cleaners contain a wax that just adds to the problem.

8. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Invisible glass in the aerosol can by Stoner is a kick a** product. No streaks and leaves the car shining. It also works great at home.

They also sell a product called Trim shine which works great both on outside black plastic and the interior trim work.

And like someone else said, always a microfiber towel.

9. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Apr 4 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]418026[/snapback]</div>
    I found a bottle of ArmorAll glass cleaner in my garage... didn't work worth a poop when using paper towels. I'll go get a bottle of Invisible Glass and a microfiber towel tonight. I think the problem is exacerbated in the Prius because you look SIDEWAYS through the glass because its so aerodynamic, both in the front and back. That makes even the slightest film look 10x worse. Thanks for all the suggestions!

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Apr 4 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]417943[/snapback]</div>
    I tried using Invisible Glass, but the first time I set down the bottle I couldn't find it again. :p

Tom

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Apr 4 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]417787[/snapback]</div>
    Windex with vinegar works for me, but I use old terrycloth bath towels instead of paper towels. Leaving a window cracked when parked also helps, if possible.

12. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Apr 5 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]418627[/snapback]</div>
    I hesitate leaving front windows open, the placement of the unlock buttons in front would make it easy to use a stick or wire through the window to unlock the car... I don't have the alarm system. Back windows might be ok to leave open.

I bought invisible glass last night and a microfiber towel. No film inside windshield this morning! Back window was so bad it still has the film/streaking after cleaning, guess I need to go over it with a clean microfiber towel, the one I used yesterday is probably all gunked up. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Invisible Glass + microfiber towel = :D

13. tnymntna

tnymntna New Member

What works VERY well is buy using your favorite glass cleaner + NEWSPAPER to clean it off! Yes NEWSPAPER! I don't know why, but newspaper will not leave any streaking of smuding behind!

14. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 5 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]418614[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Think that's what Wonder Woman used on her plane?

15. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Good ole vinegar and water wiped off with a crumpled newspaper or lint free microfiber cloth you have laying around.

16. bobc

bobc New Member

Just repeating what others have said:

Can't beat Stoner's or vineager (sp?) and water.

And yes, newspaper!

Cheers,

17. phidauex

phidauex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a note, window tint (and even some OEM films that are on the glass, which the Prius may or may not have) are damaged by glass cleaners that contain ammonia. You know that bubbly tint you see on cars sometimes? That is often the result of using Windex on the glass. Worst part is, it doesn't do it right away, it just slowly eats away the adhesive, so one day it may bubble..

Make sure you use a glass cleaner that is safe for tint (like all the auto-specific choices). Vinegar is probably fine too.

-Sam