1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

that's it, i'm getting the windshield tinted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by galaxee, Oct 18, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    when i left the house this morning it was all rainy and cloudy and otherwise non-sunny outside. since the past couple of days have been like this, i decided to leave the sunglasses at home for the first time in months.

huge mistake.

just my luck, it turns out to be this beautiful sunny a-little-too-warm afternoon. and as i walk over to the main science building to use the darkroom and my vision goes white without sunglasses, i realize i'm going to be screwed when i try to drive home.

i have extremely light-sensitive eyes. while driving, sometimes my eyes hurt even with sunglasses ON. i called DH, who couldn't come get me. so i drove home- on as many back roads through wooded areas that i could. (which, fortunately, are plentiful around campus and on most of my way home.) it wasn't as bad as walking outside because the side windows are tinted, but my eyes just hurt from doing that.

that made up my mind- i'm definitely getting the windshield tinted. after i go get my eyes checked and get a prescription for this windshield tint... which won't be till sometime in december, unfortunately. but i made up my mind. [​IMG]

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good for you! Hopefully that should help with the sunlight glare. I have very sensitive eyes too, and wear sunglasses at all times while outside during daylight hours. Unfortunately in CA I believe you can only have the top portion of the windshield tinted, like a 3" strip...I'm doing fine as is with my sunglasses though. :) This seems a more appropriate smiley. B)

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 18 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]334819[/snapback]</div>
    If you are in school where I was, then there are certainly (or at least there used to be) plenty of tree lined streets on east and west campus. However, I do know NC law limits the front windshield tint to a strip along the top. I assume the prescription to which you refer would be to allow you to tint the entire front windshield? What about night driving? Do they make a tint that lightens and darkens like some sun glasses?

Anyway, if I can find the statute, i'll post it later, but you probably already have it anyway. Best of luck, from another light sensitive glasses warer. B) B)

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Oct 18 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]334825[/snapback]</div>
    ahh, so we're the cool sunglasses chicks in black prii! B) :lol:

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 18 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]334831[/snapback]</div>
    ahhh, a fellow blue devil :D i'm on west, and yes there are lots and lots of trees.

i'm actually subject to wi law since that's where my car is registered. statutes are vague- i just double checked to see if i could find anything i might have missed. i've heard anecdotal stories of wisconsinites getting pulled over for windshield tint and being let go because they had a valid rx. i know here our tint guy won't install without a valid rx. i guess i'll take my chances to not be 100% dependent on sunglasses.

i'm only talking about a lighter tint so it won't obstruct my night vision, although i see great out of the 35% i've got on the rest of the windows at night (reduced glare too.)

6. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's another sunglasses smiley for you....

[​IMG]

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't it be cool if they could make a prescription windshield, so you didn't have to wear corrective lenses while driving?

Next: the bifocal windshield!

And soon: the Blu-Blocker (sold only on infomercials, late at night)

9. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get a perscription, you can get around the tinting law. Problem is, cops might still pull you over. No ticket thanks to the perscription, and it's rare you'd get pulled over for it anyway.

The reason I even know this is because it was very popular at my high school (and I'm sure others), to tint all of your car windows as black as can be. Since a few eye doctor's kids went to my school, they helped everyone get false perscriptions.

Now, I have all my windows darkly tinted, excluding the windshield, and even though having dark tint on the front windows is illegal, I've never been pulled over for it. I suspect cops only enforce the law when a car looks suspect, it's quota time, or they're in a bad mood. :D

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LeVautRien @ Oct 22 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]336382[/snapback]</div>

Hey, no fair giving out our secrets! :lol:

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 18 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]334819[/snapback]</div>
    Good I'm glad someone is going to guinea pig this. :) I've wanted to try it but all I have now is questions, such as:

does the stuff they put on scratch easily?

if it scratches how hard is it to get off?

how dark is dark enough but will still let you see good at night?

are there different ways of doing the tint, if so which is the best?

Not to mention legalities. At one time in this state you couldn't have any tint at all except what the manufacturer put on. Now I understand you can have 35% on the side windows but I'm not sure about the windshield. Also does that mean you can block 35% or let 35% through?

Be sure to keep us posted and let us know what you find out. I just tried a search here for windshield tint and found quite a few posts, I need to read them maybe I can answer some of my own questions.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tumbleweed-

i've already got 35% everywhere but the windshield, the tint that our guy put on (suntek) has been great so far, no scratches but of course i take good care of it! if you scratch it, i think you have to replace it though. and i wouldn't even bother doing that myself, i'd pay the tint guy again.

i'm going to play around with darkness before i commit to anything. i'm thinking of asking him for a 50% scrap piece to hold up in front of the windshield at stoplights and such during the day and at night to check the "dark enough but not too dark" factor. he gave us a scrap taillight tint piece to check out too, he's been very good.

there are different brands of tint and different installers, and of course those things will make a difference in your results. our tint guy has done a very good job on our current stuff and we're happy with the brand of tint as well.

in most states windshield tint is illegal without a medical exemption, hence the prescription when i go to the opthalmologist. i'm not going to do anything til i've got that in hand. and actually, i need the rx for 35% on the front windows, wi requires 50 or more. [​IMG]

35% is the amount of light that gets through the tint.

i'll report back when i do something about this, but i fear it's going to be a couple of months before we can gather up the cash for the eye doc and the tint and all that.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V