1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The $349 option (sound proofing, rental assistance, etc.)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoosPrius, Apr 11, 2006.

1. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

Did anyone buy this? Is it legit, or is it the old "rust proofing" gimmick dealers used to try to sell?

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its a ripoff and pure profit for the dealer. Pass.

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Total ripoff!

Anything like that is just going right to the dealers bottom-line!

4. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Apr 11 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]238377[/snapback]</div>

What about the $186 sticker price for carpets? Also a ripoff? They must be worth something, even if not that much. Still seems like a bit of a ripoff, tho, since I have had to buy rubber mats to protect the carpeted mats. Just wondering how much Toyota overinflated the price of the carpets.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The floormats? Thats different. If you look at the cost of comparable quality aftermarket floormats they're about the same.

Floormats also come from the factory, this rustproofing and stain gruard, paint protectant are just snake oils that the dealer applies out of a can. The markup on this stuff is 1,000%+

6. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Apr 12 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]238635[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm not so sure about that. If I recall, if I accepted the car with dealer/port-installed floormats, it was like $169 extra. But, when I later called the dealer, those SAME floormats (self-installed) are only $94 from the same dealer. I guess the $75 extra was the installation labor! :blink:
    I bought them off eBay (authentic Prius mats) for ~$75 if I recall.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did the $94 include the trunk mat?

And did the $169 include anything like wheel locks etc?

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Floor mats are good to have. Don't know about the price. All those paint protection / rustproofing / soundproofing that the dealer does actually HARM your car. Don't let the dealer do anything to your car but the standard prep.

Look at it this way: Do you really think your dealer could make a TOYOTA any better than it comes from the factory? I don't. Pass on all that stuff. But get the floor mats if you can afford them.

9. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 12 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]238954[/snapback]</div>

The impression I got from Toyota's web site is that the $349 option is installed by Toyota rather than the dealer. The usual "rust proofing" con added on by dealers is shown on an extension of the manufacturer's sticker price, rather than as part of that sticker. Also, the $349 option is listed on Toyotoa's own web site for the Prius as one of the several options a buyer can order, along with things such as side air bags, leather seats, etc. Just go to the "Build Your Own" page on Toyota's web page for the Prius and check the available options.

Now maybe Toyotoa just does that to help the dealers earn more profit, and perhaps it is a ripoff. I do wonder though if there is actually any sound proofing added and if it works at all. The option does not seem to be a total ripoff, though. It also includes rental car assistance if your Prius has to be at the dealer's overnight for warranty work. Of course, I have a feeling not many Priuses go in for warranty work during the first 36,000 miles.

Gary
    2006 Super White

[​IMG]

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, Toyota does not install any of that kind of stuff. The dealer does. Unless something seriously has changed.