1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The BEST Aftermarket MPG Tires and Rims

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Rob95066, Mar 17, 2012.

1. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, the energy savers are available in 225/50/17... I wonder if these would work?

2. NDzPII

NDzPII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I put on 215/50/17 Yokohama's and they have more tread wear than the Michelins and they are the Low Rolling Resistance

3. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And they are twice as loud on the highway! :)

F8L likes this.
  4. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's just the sound of mpgs being preserved.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What Michelins? Yokohama doesn't make anything as efficient as the Energy Saver A/S in a 15" size or 17" size. Unfortunately the LRR designation doesn't always mean the tire is very efficient. I.e. it's just a label. There can be quite a difference between two tires with the label. :)

WE0H likes this.
  6. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How does one remove the hubcaps without making the fit weaker? The first time I replaced the brakes on my corolla I didn't take the time I notice they didn't even need to be removed to take off a wheel. Seems I spent the next 6 months bumping them on about once a week because they never quite fit as snug. Finally lost the first one (replacement was 98.00) and just recently lost the other.

7. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the site!

My Prius came with the 17' Plus forged wheels that are supposed to weigh in at 18lbs. I also have LRR tires and I am getting very good MPG. About 52 city and hwy combined without really trying hard. I think I'm more of a conservative driver than most folks as I always stay on the right lane, never gun the car and I generally drive like a granny. Well, not exactly since I keep up with traffic and never slow anyone down :)

With that being said, I think that if you choose your wheels wisely, your mileage won't take a hit. This is my personal advice - If you want larger nicer looking wheels, stick with 17x7. And keep each rim under 19lbs. Also choose your tire wisely as "eco" tires definitely give you better mileage compared to an aggressive summer tire.

I just purchased another set of decent 17x7 rims and low rolling resistance winter tires for me to use in the cold season. I haven't had the chance to put those on yet but I am guessing I will still get 50mpg easily.

Good luck

8. Michael Ely

Michael Ely New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am reading in this thread that larger diameter wheels cause a significant decrease in mpg, I am not understanding the reason for this, is it because they are heavier?