1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Club anti-theft device

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mitchla, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

With the Prius' fancy-dancy security system, do people still feel the need to use "The Club" (the arm that clamps on the steering wheel) or other mechanical anti-theft device? I would suppose that it's more important as a deterrent rather than a preventive -- that if a thief sees the extra hassle of sawing or freezing a Club off, he/she might as well move on to the next car.

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The club is a joke. It only keeps the joyriders at bay. The Prius' complexity at being started is enough to keep them at bay in of iteself. The joyriders sure won't be hot wiring one. :)

3. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

the value of it

But I'd prefer to not have either the joyriders or the pros break my window to get in and then find out that the security system is good. Don't you think there's value as a deterrent?

4. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Actually, I think the flashing 'engine immobiliser activated' light is probably a deterrent, since a potential thief may think it indicates an alarm is active. Prius is probably one of the hardest cars to steal, unless you have the key.

5. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Stealing an '04 Prius

Probably very, very difficult. Unless or until there's a "rash" of Prius thefts, no one can say with certainty.

Meanwhile, let's keep an eye on the insurance actuaries. They're the ones who call the shots on Cost To Insure.

Time will tell.

6. wwblues

wwblues New Member

The earlier Toyota cars made the "most stolen" lists because they were so easy to take (basically, plug in any Toyota key, turn hard, and you are off to the races). Hopefully the difficulties in the new Prius will discourage most thieves.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: the value of it

My short answer is no, they are not a deterrent.