1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The deluded statements about Prius brakes NOT being a safety issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ozboy, Feb 6, 2010.

1. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What happens when the pothole you are braking over is right at an intersection? The brakes release & you drive into the path of an oncoming car -I guess you get to test the car's side & curtain airbags...

So for those who have stated that the brakes aren't a safety issue, would you like your humble pie served with cream or ice-cream?

2 people like this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, nobody before ozboy-genius ever considered that...thanks!

Look, the loss of braking is momentary...most estimate 1/2 second at most. If you're approaching an intersection with a stop light you should already be slowing down a LOT right? So, we've done the math on this a few times using various speeds, stopping distances and conditions...but the bottom line is that depending upon your speed, stopping distance allowed and duration of the transition and assuming you aren't smart enough to push down harder on the brakes when you feel the transition begin that you'd travel maybe an extra 5 feet or so. I certainly hope you're a good enough driver to realize you need to leave a lot more margin of safety than that when driving.

And, if you do mash harder on the brakes you still have emergency braking and can slow to the same target stop point you'd originally planned to without difficulty at all.

And....Ice Cream please.

12 people like this.
  3. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So that's one.
    Next?

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with Dr. Troll Slayer. Prius Rules. Guzzlers drool.

Oh I don't want to be diabetic. So neither desserts.

5. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL
    The Prius club in this forum is the nearest one can get to being in an auto cult. The braking issue is plain and obvious to many casual readers of the posts in this forum. But, everytime someone brings up the defect, the swarm of cult leaders descends on the poor sob, downplaying the issue.

6. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    From everything, I have heard it happens only during light braking. So if you transition to heavy braking your total stopping distance should not be increased any.

So if your pot hole is right at the intersection then there will be no difference, you would have been t-boned anyway.

1 person likes this.
  7. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are assuming the transition from light to heavy is instantaneous with no driver or vehicle lag.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's because we are the best and we drive the best cars that get the best mileage.

9. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I had a Chrysler FSP that I loved, I would defend it against slanderous attacks from trolls, also.

But I don't.

10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you get to an intersection fast enough to be in the middle of it because you have (less than 1/2 sec of) a braking delay (and you were already braking any way!) due to a pothole/ice/debris on the tarmac, it means you wanted to be in the middle of the intersection anyhow to test the airbags...

PS: nevertheless the ABS thing needs to be fine-tuned/fixed. Not nice as it is right now. But after 8000km I am still alive, had no accident and didn't run over any pedestrian/bicycle crossing in front of me (yes, we do have pedestrians and bike riders at crossings in Europe, everywhere! ;) )

11. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most of them don't even drive - because they spend all their time on PriusChat. :)

12. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No worries... Under this scenario there is a very high probability that the Prius will be hit by an asteroid which will immediately stop the forward movement of the Prius and prevent impacting the on-coming vehicle.

Keith :)

3 people like this.
  13. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually I am not assuming instantanious transition. There will be some time delay. But the point is it is initially "light" braking, when the alleged phonomenom is encountered. When you then apply "heavy" braking will stop you much sooner than if you would have continued light braking.

14. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are assuming they don't already have Macs installed in their Prius.
    I mean, did you see the Wozniak's dashboard ?
    Any unintended acceleration will result in a hazard of flying objects.

15. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, heavy braking will stop the vehicle earlier than light braking , I see your point but it is rather moot given that most people would assume a steady braking pressure would result in the same deceleration. But TP drivers are not.

16. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I have a question, all you "My Car: Other Non-Hybrid" posters, why do you care? Give it a rest, it doesn't affect you, unless we plow into you, and one of us might do that, but most of us don't hang around bridges/motes, where you are mostly found :)

17. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OMG do you mean they are TROLLS?
    Now i'm really delusioned.

18. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your words not mine, I only implied it. Not all of them are trolls, just the ones who start these meaningless threads.

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would be interesting if some day someone would quantify this. I know some people expressed that they felt their stopping distance was increased due to the transition. But nobody really knows yet because there has not been any official testing. But that won't stop the alarmist will it?

20. Canyon10

Canyon10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting! I agree. It is like there is a supreme Prius soul followed by a group of strong believers.... No tolerance for any accusation on the integrity of the soul... No.. shouldn't even discuss about it.
    If there is a question of the supreme soul, the believers would challenge your qualification, it might be that you don't learn the supreme soul well. It is too confidential and complicate to understand if you just get started to learn it. If you face a pothole or on the bumpy road, don't worry, it is the soul that wants to train your capability of emergency response and that is custom designed for you. If you don't know it well yet, just step on the brake as hard as you can each time no matter what speed you are and the supreme soul would come protect you. Remember don't question the soul, always question yourself....