1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The finer points of pulsing and gliding

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BrettS, May 26, 2011.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, so since I got my scangauge I've been doing more pulse and glide on my commute every and it's definitely helped... I even managed to hit the elusive 80mpg (displayed) number on my way in to work one morning.

However, I've also found that as I've been getting better economy I've also been lowering my average speed and it's taking longer to get to and from work. I realize that there's kind of a trade off there, so now I'm trying to figure out how to get the best possible economy without compromising too much on travel time.

So, now that I think I have the basics down I'm looking to fine tune my technique a bit and I had a few questions...

First, what's the best strategy for 45 zones? When the speed limit is 40MPH I'll pulse and glide between about 37MPH and 43MPH, which allows me to travel reasonably close to 40MPH and still have the engine stop so it doesn't produce any drag while I'm gliding.

For 50MPH zones I've been trying to pulse up to about 55MPH, then use SHM to gently glide down to about 50MPH.

However, right now for 45MPH zones I'll pulse and glide between about 40MPH and 45MPH, which still allows the engine to completely stop on glides, but lowers my average speed a bit. Would I be better off trying to pulse and glide between 42 and 48 and just deal with the drag from the engine spinning above 45 or so, or should I try to do part SHM and part glide or what? The vast majority of my commute is 45MPH and I just can't seem to come up with a good strategy for it.

What's the best stragegy for going up hills? Things are pretty flat here in FL, but there are a few small hills on my commute. Am I better off trying to maintain a steady speed as I climb the hills or is it worth trying to pulse and glide. I'm not sure how to best describe the grade of the hills, but for most of the hills I deal with I can pick up speed if I hold the engine at about 1800RPM. There are one or two hills that are a bit steeper and I can only maintain my speed going up those at 1800RPM. I've tried doing a pulse and glide going up hill, but at best I'll be pulsing 2/3 of the time and only gliding 1/3 of the time and I'm just not sure it's worth it.

Along the same lines, if I'm gliding as I come up to the bottom of a hill am I better off hitting the gas and taking advantage of whatever speed I have or should I continue gliding until I get down to the speed that I would have pulsed at anyway? In other words, if the speed limit is 40MPH and I've been gliding until I get down to 37MPH, but I happen to come up to a hill while I'm traveling at 40MPH should I hit the gas immediately so I'm not trying to pick up speed (or maintain a slower speed) on the hill or should I continue coasting up the hill until I get down to 37 before I hit the gas?

Please let me know what your thoughts on this are:)

Thanks,
    Brett

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles is your commute?

3. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're thinking about speeding up time to work, faster speeds with shorter glides or warp stealth mixed in can be good. Not as great mileage but still very good.

At 50 mph for example you can likely get 50 mpg instant. If you pulse gently there for .2 miles and then warp stealth for .1 miles, you're at 75 mpg. Then a nice and easy pulse around 50 mpg back to 50 mph, and repeat. A gentle pulse also serves to charge the battery more, which is better in this sort of thing, otherwise you'll draw too much on the battery. Con is that it's a lot of work to get the engine on, then fuel cut, engine on, etc.

Up a light hill, if you're at you're desired speed, usually the most practical thing with traffic is to hold that speed with as little gas as possible, which is usually surprisingly little unless your SOC is low. I used to try to pulse and glide up hills, all that happened was the battery got lower than I wanted. I have this gradual uphill that I used to see as an enemy, since it was relatively long and speed limits are slow (30 mph). Then I found that with bare minimum pedal, my car will start it around 35 mpg. It's so low because it's charging the battery a little extra at first. It stops doing that after holding the pedal steady for awhile, almost like it realizes I really do want to go that speed for awhile, and then it pops to 45 mpg. By the end of the hill I'm going 30 mph uphill getting 50 mpg. It's SHM for low speeds. So the car has the smarts for it with some patience.

With the mpg numbers so high over the course of the uphill, it has a very small effect on overall mpg, and the subsequent glide brings back the average really nicely. So that's my hill technique as of late. Slow and steady, engine on the whole time!

4. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's just a hair over 22 miles one way. Probably 75% is 45MPH, 10% is 50MPH, 10% is 40MPH and 5% is 25-30MPH

5. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, it's all a trade off... I'm sure I could get close to 80MPG every day if I was OK with an average speed of 20MPH... but trying to keep my average speed above 30MPH and still get in the high 70MPGs is a bit of a challenge. There are a lot of traffic lights on my route and I try to coast into them so I don't have to stop much, but they definitely bring my average speed down. If I can get good economy and keep the average speed in the low 30's I'll be happy.

I think I still need a bit of work here then. I've been trying to pulse a bit quicker (with a lower instant MPG number) and stealth a bit longer. I think I've still been averaging around 70MPG, but I'm sure I could do better. I'll try more gentle pulses.

Yeah, that was one issue I ran into when I started doing the whole pulse and glide thing... I'd start with a full battery and end up with two bars left. I had a hard time balancing it out enough to keep the battery charged. I've been doing better with that lately, though. I think part of the problem was that I was trying to pulse and glide the entire trip... even in the 50MPH zones and up hills... I probably averaged less than 1/3 of the trip with the engine actually on. Great for economy, but bad for my battery charge and my travel time.

I'll try this on the hills.

Thanks for your thoughts... it definitely helps:)

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    on hills. do not regen. if going down, take advantage of gravity to build AS MUCH SPEED as possible. this may require going above your target speed. use the momentum going back up the hill with a slight application of power to reduce the rate of deceleration.

7. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK just thought of something else...you're in flat Florida. At 50 mph just SHM that shiznit. You can get 70-75 mpg on flat ground with SHM while holding speed, assuming relatively smooth pavement, and Gen III is supposedly better than Gen II anyway at those speeds. Sometimes you might happen to drop below your allowable minimum speed (let's say 50), but I would avoid pulsing and SHM gliding, and rather aim to hold speed constantly with SHM, and just occasionally give a little extra if you get too slow by a mile per hour or so. Your state was created for the elderly and good mileage, it's the ideal situation, slow elderly drivers who won't tailgate you as you get good mileage :)

8. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My commute is almost 17 miles one way, probably 40% 55 MPH, 20% 40 MPH, 40% 45 MPH, with lights and rolling hills. The hills provide good glide opportunities. I don't believe in gliding into or up a hill. I'd rather just maintain my momentum and start a glide as I crest the top. For the 55 MPH stretch, I can't seem to make anything work well other than holding speed with the lowest RPM I can.

I recently bought a ScanGauge as well, but I've mostly been using it as a tach. Prior to getting it, my best MPG for a trip to work was 62 MPG displayed, with an average speed of 30 MPH. I plateaued there and got it repeatedly. With the ScanGauge, I've been accelerating more briskly at ~1800 RPM, and my commute's MPG has gone down slightly to 60.x-61.x MPG displayed, with an increase in average speed to 33-35 MPH. My "pulses" are slightly more vigorous, and my resulting glides tend to be longer and at higher speeds (and often above the 45 MPH threshold). I'm pretty happy with that tradeoff, because that's a negligible increase in fuel consumption considering the difference in driving style.

9. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya know ... when I first got my Prius, I was REALLY INTO the whole pulse and glide thing, and absolutely maximizing every single tenth of a mile per gallon, as if a tenth of a mile per gallon were something to be cursed at if you lost it. Go from 54.3 to 54.2 and I was like .... dammit ... I have to get that tenth back. I'd drive stupidly as long as there was no one around just to get that damn tenth of a MPG back. Lately though, I've just been driving it like it's a regular car, and I'm getting 50-52 without even TRYING to get max MPG.

Maximizing MPG is great fun, and it's always fun to gain a tenth or two, but lately I've just been relaxing and not obsessing on the MPG's, and it's a lot more fun to drive that way rather than going SLOOOOOOOOOW just to get the extra tenth here and there. I've gotten to the point where 50-52 MPG is good enough driving normally, and I'll forgo the 53 and change driving strictly for mileage. I STILL drive for mileage, but not as obsessively as I did when I first got the Prius. 50 MPG is still pretty good, and it seems like that's right about what my car will get on a normal daily basis. I still get about 57 on the highway.

REV

10. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find if I drive on local roads, I can't beat the red lights anyways, so it's best to modify my P&G patterns to time the red lights, although it seems people behind you get really annoyed if you don't race to the car stopped ahead of you only to slam on the brakes.

I found that SHM at 55 mph may not better than pulse & glide at that speed. If you try P&G around 50 - 55 mph you may still see MPGs climb. I find SHM is more effective at > 62 mph. If you speed up a bit beyond 55 mph and get into SHM you may find MPG may not suffer that much and you can still reach your destination faster.

11. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would someone please explain what SHM Super Highway Mode is exactly ?

REV

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A