1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

THE LOSERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Dec 25, 2005.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay folks. Everone who has nothing better to do than sit at home in front of the computer on Christmas day; everyone who has no friends or family to spend today with; let's all us losers form a club. Maybe you put up a tree and put a present for yourself under it. Or maybe, like me, you think that cutting down a living, breathing, tree for anything as hollow as decoration is perverse. Maybe you mailed yourself a Christmas card. Or maybe it was too depressing to remind yourself just how alone you are. Maybe (like me!) you don't celebrate Christmas at all because you aren't a Christian, and anyway it makes you depressed to see how someone who had so many good ideas about how people should treat each other is so disrespected by his own followers that they've turned his birthday into an orgy of greed and consumerism. Whatever you believe about today, if you are sitting in front of the computer instead of being with friends or family, JOIN THE CLUB!

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From what I have learned about you upon your active return to Priuschat, Daniel, you aren't a loser and can't join the club -- sorry :)

I celebrate and am having a great Christmas and am enjoying Priuschat at the same time.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    many people who are loved, have loved ones that cant be physically present. distance does not (in my mind) lessen the family ties and the bonds of friendship in any way. over the years, my family has slowly removed the "requirement" that gifts be passed around with the only exception being the younger children. various trinkets are passed around that are more tokens than anything and even those are not expected.

this time of year is used as an excuse to get together and eat too much and swap tales. as it is, this year, my nephew is in Germany, my sister in law's nephew is in Iraq, so it will be a far flung celebration by video conferencing. my nephew will be home in a week so a 2nd celebration will be held for him.

just as i wouldn't miss the video conferencing of far flung relatives, nor will i miss the chatting that goes on here. many many topics have been passed back and forth here that i anxiously look forward to seeing every day. this is a gathering place just as important as any other social gathering i attend. i hope you all feel well and enjoy the holiday season in the way you feel best.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

You are NOT alone. You have friends here and are loved on this board, daniel. :)

5. notsure

notsure New Member

You also have a cute cat

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my only connection to family this year (excluding DH who is taking a nap behind me here) is the phone. they're all 1500 miles away. :(

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Welcome, all, to the Losers' Club! Even if you've all joined just to express the contrary opinion.

GreenMachine: Sorry to disappoint you, but yes, I'm a loser all right. All the money I've got, and I can't even get a date! Lucky in money, unlucky in love. I'm not rich enough to attract a fortune-hunter, not good-looking enough to attract the kind of shallow person who goes for looks, and too grumpy to attract a normal well-adjusted woman.

I did once pass up the opportunity to become a bipolar Mexican nymphomaniac's number-two lover (out of a stable of three - - not counting one-night stands). She actually prefered ugly men, and was too engrossed in herself to notice my grumpiness. She'd have married me to get out of Mexico, but was honest enough to admit that she'd continue to have lovers on the side. Probably never more than 2 or 3 at a time. She wasn't real big on one-night stands. Just once in a while when she was more manic than usual.

Tag: PriusChat is a great board, but it's pretty pathetic when your only friends within a thousand miles are disembodied usernames on a computer screen.

Notsure: My cat died 15 years ago. The cat in my avatar belongs to a friend in Spain. (Though he looks a lot like mine.) Circumstances have not been favorable since then to get another cat. First travel, then living in a no-pets apartment, right now another trip coming up.

Dave: sounds like you fall into the honorary member category: delayed Christmas due to scheduling. I'll see my mom and my sister in a week and a half, on my way to the antipodes (scheduled stopover to reduce the liklihood of a missed flight). But for me, that's got nothing to do with the holidays.

I've got loser stamped all over me and women can see it a mile away.

So come on, folks, don't be ashamed! Jump right in and join the club.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    - that would make me your polar opposite...

- and i may be more than a mile away but you sure seem like a nice guy who's done some interesting things in life- and by my definition that's not a loser.

i've done some huge loser things in the last 18 months (edit: cough, cough, duke university, cough), but as much as they've hurt me they have also made me smarter and stronger along the way.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    LOSERS CLUB RECIPE - - EASY PRETTY GOOD CHRISTMAS DINNER FOR ONE

A nice-sized chunk of cabbage
    One large carrot
    One decent-sized new potato
    Half an onion
    A bit of garlic if you have any on hand.
    (Substitute whatever you have on hand for the above, if necessary.)

Chop and put in a soup pan.

Add:

one can Progresso Minestrone
    one small can of shrinp
    one can green Giant "Mexicorn"
    one can V-8 Juice
    one packet baked tofu, cubed.
    (As above, substitute whatever you have on hand for the above, if necessary.)

Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer; cook for about a half an hour. Enjoy while listening to a podcast of Democracy Now! so that the depressing news enables you to convince yourself that the human race is pathetic and you're better off alone.

10. gnagel

gnagel New Member

I never understood how killing an evergreen tree became a Christmas tradition. Once it's chopped down, it doesn't remain "ever green" for very long.

:(

11. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    *knocks on daniel's screen*

Hi! Is this Loserville? Oh, sorry, I see you're eating. Looks good---I heard about your recipe. Easy on the garlic if you're going female-hunting in the near future. :rolleyes:

Embarrassed as I once was to admit it, I ran personal ads once. They were very productive---met some nice women and nearly married one. Also joined Cherry Blossoms---an "introductory" service to Philippina women, run by a former professor from Eastern Washington U., of all places. After my "notice" was run over there, I got a huge volume of mail---but just at the time I met the woman who is now my wife (also Asian).

It's tough, for many people, being alone; tougher, the sociologists and psychologists tell us, for us men than for women, who seem more resourceful than we are. Tough if you've spent a long time with a partner previously---even if the relationship was rocky and ended acrimiously.

I'm pathetic alone. I'm part misanthrope, as you sound (or at least claim :) ), so it's hard to get "up" and into a sociable frame of mind---even if and when an opportunity presents itself (for me). I usually bury myself in reading and internet stuff, but that cloud of non-sharing-ness always hangs heavy.

I'm not trying to deepen your gloom. I'm trying to empathize. Holidays (even if you're not an "observer" of them) always make it worse. You imagine everyone else is having more enjoyment that they probably really are.

You're missing what you're missing today, yes; including a woman who's "out there" right now, also wondering if she'll ever meet a compatible guy again. And you KNOW she's out there, which makes it worse. The hard part is finding her.

I'd pull out all the stops.

13. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What an articulate post, Jack... wow. "Cloud of non-sharing-ness" covers a lot and hits rather close to home.

Merry Christmas, losers. =)

(Meant affectionately.)

PS: I got The Call, and my 06 Silver Pine Mica package 4 is in assembly, should have it in the 1st or 2nd week of January! Yayyyy!

(Does ordering a silver pine mica qualify me for the Loser's Club, Daniel, even though I have family and have them here with me? Pretty please?)

- Z

"When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the keyyyyyyy!"

14. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No doubt the decorating of trees began as a pagan thing, and given the time of year was probably a solstice thing. I'm going to be a bit of a curmudgeon and say that cutting the trees down and bringing them indoors was because Americans are too lazy, soft, and house-bound to do anything outside; too callous towards nature to care that the trees died afterwards; and that, of course, this was the only way to commercialize it and make money out of it.

Jack: I've run ads, and I've answered others' ads. I'm currently listed on Match-dot-com and a few other similar sites. I even ran an ad once for a travel companion, all expenses to be paid by me. That last got me a couple of responses, but after a meeting over coffee both women declined to pursue the matter further. Match-dot-com and the others have gotten me nothing. One women, once, had the courtesy to reply with a polite No thank you, but nobody else has even replied. The only one who's ever written to me from one of those ads was in Russia. The travel ad got me a few phone calls from women in their 60's and 70's (I had neglected to mention my age in my ad) who were looking for companions for cruising and ballroom dancing. I cannot dance and I get seasick. Once I get back from my trip to the antipodes I'll probably write to a few women on match-dot-com here in Spokane.

I admit, of course, that I'm not looking for just anybody.

The idea that there's "someone for everyone" is, poppycock in my opinion. People meet by chance, and if they click they get together. Your chances are improved if you are good-looking, fun to be with, good-natured, etc., and the less picky you are the better your chances are. Once upon a time if you were reasonably affluent there were plenty of people who'd overlook any other shortcomings you might have. Nowadays, even single mothers on welfare, or working two jobs just to squeeze by, would rather go it alone, just to prove that they don't need a man; and if you have money they'll reject you just out of fear that it might appear as though they had married you for your money.

I'm extremely progressive in my politics, but extremely conservative in my lifestyle, so I don't fit in anywhere. The kind of woman who wants a stay-at-home guy who doesn't drink or smoke and can't dance (too uncoordinated) would not tolerate my firebrand radicalism or my athiesm; and the kind of women who wants a firebrand athiest, smokes and wants a guy who'll take her out drinking and dancing. I fall between the cracks and always have.

As for Festivus, it looks very amusing. I've never been a Seinfield fan, though. I've seen the show a couple of times, at the homes of friends who refused to turn off the TV. The guy with the wild hair was very funny. The rest of the show was too dull for words.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While I don't think I would paint myself - or anyone else on this board - as a loser.

However, please allow me to approach the bench and present the following items into evidence:

1) I ordered my own EV button, received it, wrapped it, and acted surprised when I opened it in the presence of my in-laws.

2) I picked out three gifts for my wife. Within two hours she had returned and replaced one, returned another but they didn't have the one she wanted, and showed me the web site where I should have ordered the third one.

On some level, I think loser applies in there somewhere.

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Heh heh. I did the same thing. No in-laws but my own kids. Is that worse or about the same? Either way I can't wait to install it tomorrow. Did you get a pack of Jelly Beans with your order?

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel, they're out there. And you'll find someone I'm sure. Your attitude in this post is certainly dour, but you've a plethora of posts here that I think better reflect your 'real' personality. Better, at least, than the one that comes out in so many people in this, the most depression laden time of the year.

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yo Dan...

I just wanted to comment that finding someone takes WORK. Much more than one thinks. All it is, is simple marketing. The more you get out there, the more you're PRO-ACTIVE about it, the better your chances. It's frustrating as hell sometimes, but you just gotta keep chopping away, and that's all there is to it.

20. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

christmas goes by unnoticed for me every year...but thats probably because I am a Muslim :)

Family and relatives usually go out and have a BBQ(its summer here) because it is a public holiday after all.