1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The one and only Prius Plug-in FAQ!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lensovet, Nov 24, 2012.

1. kaiotes

kaiotes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    really stupid question.
    how do i open the door to plugin my charger?
    I got more questions to follow but right now this is one that i would like to know so i can charge it for the first time
    dealer told me to push the door. it does not work.

2. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A little gentle push on the rear facing part of the door should do it.

3. kaiotes

kaiotes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    omg
    i'm an idiot
    i been trying to open the GAS DOOR
    just had someone at work show me

lensovet and markabele like this.
  4. kaiotes

kaiotes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have been driving my car for a few days. I have noticed that the acceleration of the vehicle is VERY lacking.
    I dont even have much charge using mainly gas and well when i try to step my pedal past the half way bar of the hybrid system indicator, it doesn't accelerate much. Even when the meter goes past the EV towards PWR it is pretty weak. I would have to step my pedal all the way down to PWR for it to act more like a normal car. Is there something wrong w the way i'm driving? I"m not expecting this to have much acceleration but something more 'normal'?. When I have to climb up an on ramp with a small incline, it is pretty hard without without having to floor it

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try the normal mode or power mode see if that works better.
    I'm guessing you are in eco mode which is good for gas mileage, for better response try power mode.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's what you are suppose to do.

The smooooth of the cvt combined with the thought the power should be avoided is a common misleader for new owners.

Go ahead, press hard on the pedal.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, keep in mind it shouldn't feel quite as powerful as a "normal" car. This is a MPG beast, not a race car.

8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    in my experience, driving in HV mode, acceleration from stoplights forces me into the PWR section 95% of the time.
    in EV mode, I can stay away from it but have to watch the bar to avoid unintentional engine startup.

9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To be fair, it is only your foot that is forcing you into the PWR section, nothing else.

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm trying not to be an donkey to other drivers too :)
    But I do think it's a bit weird that the "scale" for the power bar is different between the two modes.

11. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, don't check this thread often and forgot I had posted. Yes, even an idiot like me can understand it now, thanks!

12. pbceng

pbceng Junior Member

Hi all. I've recently (end of September) traded in my '06 152k miles gen 2 Prius for a PiP in the UK. I wanted a full EV but apart from the Tesla Model S there isn't one that will cope in any reasonable fashion with my regular trips. I initially discounted the PiP because of it's low EV range, but when I worked the numbers out against an Ampera (Volt) and a BMW i3 REX it came out with the lowest running costs - the i3 worked out lower for my daily commute, but not the regular longer ones and the Ampera also came out cheaper on my regular commute but only with charging at work. Every other trip worked out more expensive. The PiP also came in cheaper due to a friendly dealer.

I finally have a home charging point but am rarely able to charge away from home. For the first couple of months I used a custom high amp extension cable and a power monitoring plug - full charge with depleted batted came in at a pretty consistent 2.9kW (240V AC supply) using the supplied cable. I'm pretty sure the. At display showed something like 2.3kW charge when I first had the car and was charging via an extension lead, but on the installed charger it's now reading 1.9kW - I can't monitor any data from the charging point (yet) but am guessing it may be due to lower temperatures.

Indicated EV range has dropped from about 13.5 miles when I first got the car to about 10.5 now, but again I think that's down to the drop in temperature. My EV usage is approx 10% at the moment.

I've read some of the discussion here with interest and will be experimenting as time permits. If I can find the time I'll try tapping into the CAN bus and see what I can dig out.

Thanks for all the interesting posts

markabele likes this.
  13. pbceng

pbceng Junior Member

Slight typo - the bit on charging should have read - "full charge with depleted battery came in at a pretty consistent 2.9kWh (240V AC supply) using the supplied cable"

14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perfect! :)

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your new pip, all the best!(y)

16. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It seems every one is hyped up on a plugin Prius, the question I have if everyone gets a plug in what will it do to our electrical grid which is already strained. The rates for electric will sky rocket. We get off one thing (gas) then electric. I still think that the standard prius hybrid is the best answer. I owned a 2006 and now I have a 2010 and still love it.

17. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Plug-in drivers are almost guaranteed to charge every day at night, when general electric power demand is the lowest. IMHO this is a perfect example of helping to "balance the load" on the regional grid, because late night charging uses already built and partly amortized electrical grid components at the times of their least utilization. Now, if we all plugged in to charge at noon every day in August, then yes, I'd agree with you.

RicCorless and drash like this.
  18. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    This is a nonsense rant in the completely wrong thread from a closed minded one.

Lourun likes this.
  19. RicCorless

RicCorless Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: