1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The rise and fall of the large SUV; small is the new black

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Arroyo, May 22, 2010.

1. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LIBERATION

SMALL IS THE NEW BLACK

Once upon a time, people bought SUVs with the hope of imparting a sense of freedom from the shackles of driving. SUVs, after all, are off-road vehicles, and it was comforting to know that you can go off the asphalt at a moment’s notice and climb that side of the hill to your right. The most prestigious SUVs were also large—a visual statement of success for the high-riding driver-owner.

And then the gas prices went north. All of a sudden, the machines that were supposed to impart a sense of freedom did the opposite. Owning large SUVs was a pain at the pump. The largest of the SUVs became symbols of waste and excess. And in the real world, few owners ever took their SUVs off road. They had a hard enough time maneuvering lane changes in their oversized and visibility-challenged vehicles. Within a span of a decade, large SUVs went from automotive liberator to oppressor.

Today, small is the new black. Small takes up less space on the highways. Small usually equates to better gas mileage. It almost always equates to being able to maneuver in situations not open to much larger vehicles.

[​IMG]

When it comes to vehicles with a semblance of room in the back seat, you can’t get much smaller than the MINI in the USA. How small is it? The MINI is four inches narrower than the Volkswagen Golf. It’s over 29 inches inches shorter than the Toyota Prius, and over 31 inches shorter than the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Hybrids have been all the rage these past few years. But the most fuel efficient of these are not exactly the most fun cars to drive; nor are they very maneuverable on the road—at least not sport sedan maneuverable.

In contrast, the MINI is highly maneuverable and lots of fun to drive—its light weight, low center of gravity, short wheelbase, and quick turning ratio impart a sensation not unlike a go-kart. This is even true for the 37-mpg base MINI Cooper, but it is particularly true for the turbocharged and sport suspension-equipped MINI Cooper S...

LIBERATION | LA Car

1 person likes this.
  2. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Definitley a fun car, and I would rather be behind a mini more than a Suburban! But I'll stick to my 55-60 mpg Prius thanks!:D

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0 Mini Cooper 2010 Prius
    1 premium regular gasoline
    2 automatic automatic transmission
    3 33 MPG 48 MPG EPA highway mileage
    4 25 MPG 51 MPG EPA city mileage
    5 76 ft{3} 94 ft{3} passenger volume
    6 6 ft{3} 22 ft{3} luggage volume
    So with the Mini, one gets less and pays more to operate.

Bob Wilson

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my gf has a base model mini.. gets between 33 city and 40 or so on highway...

it IS a fun car.. (a lot more fun than my prius) but doesn't quite have the space that my prius has.. shrug...

the only drawback is premium fuel... and higher maintenance cost due to a faster suspension that also dies quicker... shrug...

5. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    people were eventually going to get sick and tired of SUV dynamics and switch back.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But you can't compare the Mini to the Prius. The Mini is a european enthusiasts car. Driving prowess the Mini puts the Prius to complete shame. Thats like saying you pay more for a BMW 3 series for less room than a Camry. Totally different cars, and totally different buyers.

2 people like this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Mini ... it's cute & all. But it's neither a hybrid, nor & EV. Well ... they DO have a few EV conversions that mini did ... if you can swallow a LEASE ONLY ... over $600 a month ... and NO rear seat because the butt end of its lil' shopping cart sized rear is full of batteries ~
    so much for 'hybrid news'
    :p

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    very true. As a friend said when I was looking curious at a mini parked by us, "you want to like it but its just wrong". Its a quirky niche car, and I doubt anyone has traded in a suv for one. Its not a bmw or even a miata or mazda 3. The car is a poser, but if you like it, its your choice.

9. 100 mph

100 mph Junior Member

Here's an interesting clip from Wiki on the MINI:

"From 2008, all non-U.S. Mini models are equipped with BMW's Efficient Dynamics fuel-saving technology. This includes a start-stop feature that shuts off the engine when the car is stationary; when the clutch pedal is depressed, the engine is restarted with electricity generated from Brake Energy Regeneration. The Cooper D model attains 74.0 miles per imperial gallon (3.82 L/100 km; 61.6 mpg-US) and emits 104 g of carbon dioxide per 100 kilometres. A Mini One D is available in Europe since 2009, attaining the same fuel efficiency and emissions of greenhouse gases as the Cooper D, which is itself quite comparable to the Toyota Prius for fuel economy and carbon dioxide emissions (potentially better than the Prius at higher rpm). With the wide-spread use of its Efficient Dynamics feature, Mini is the first automotive brand to have all models in its range classified as mild hybrids (Mini's parent, BMW, is still in the process of implementing Efficient Dynamics across its older models)."

Mini (BMW) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Must be news to the car companies. They are still making lots of big SUVs and those silly "crossovers" that both get bad gas mileage. What's needed is a 40 mpg all-wheel drive vehicle to keep all those soccer moms safe in the snow. The reckoning will come with the new mpg rules in 2016--but that's a long way off.

As an addendum, the mini Cooper has always struck me as too small a car for its price. I don't think THAT small is the way to go for gas mileage. Plus, having owned several BMWs, I'm not fond of their customer service. And yes, premium fuels are a waste. That goes for Lexus, too.
    Shame on you, Toyota.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eh, its not my kind of car but you can see the appeal. They handle very well and are very fun to drive, they have a unique upscale style. I don't see how its a "poser", a "poser" of what? The Mini has been around forever.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hear that about the smart car too. But for many - the shopping cart sized vehicle is not the best fit.
    ;)

oh, and what does all the have to do with prius- "hybrid news" ... just wondering

13. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For some reason those Germans love to mandate Premium fuels for their vehicles, it must be a status thing, everyone else seems to run fine on regular. Perhaps they just hate making economical cars and throw stones at those who buy them, by making the thrifty customers spend big bucks on fuel anyway. Oh look at me! I run Premium fuel in my car, it must be fast!

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, Wikipedia does say 104g per 100 km. Unfortunately that is outright fiction, on par with a 6000 mpg carburetor. A contributor is being far too hopeful.

On the UK government's New Car CO2 emissions: model search site, I find, depending on model and transmission: Prius, 89-92 g/km; Mini Diesel, 104-126 g/km; Mini Petrol, 127-154 g/km.

Not quite what I'd describe as 'comparable'.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The worst part is the press keeps touting "crossovers" as being "fuel sippers" and "fuel efficient". I hate the term crossover because it's so generic. What is a "crossover" anyway? A look at http://www.edmunds.com/finder/segment.crossover.html;f=%2Busein%3Anew?cat=Crossover&reFacet=vehiclecategory%3ACrossover&p=cvehicledata%23%23-1%23%23-1~~f66||43726f73736f766572~~q#resort=price_desc&search=open.eq..amp.p.eq. shows that they range from a ~$15K Jeep Compass and include vehicles like the Toyota RAV4, Honda Element and go all the way to the $89K BMW X6 M!

The X6 M has a (not surprisingly) lackluster EPA estimate of 12/17, 14 mpg combined. Having a 555 hp turbocharged 4.4L V8 doesn't help any.

As for the 2016 rules, they aren't THAT big a deal, IMHO. See CAFE, EPA Math: 35 Equals 26 - Auto Observer and New Federal CAFE standards officially released, 34.1 mpg by 2016 — Autoblog Green. I listed some "CAFE mileage" figures for some vehicles at http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...-standards-50-mpg-poll-finds.html#post1125402.

16. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the point he was trying to make is that the Mini handles very well and also gets up to 37mpg.

And, I'm assuming he is hoping that Toyota will make the Prius handle better in the future. Maybe an independent suspension and more nimble during quick lane changes for accident avoidance from distracted drivers in 6000 pound SUVs who appear at times to be driving a vehicle so large they can't really control it or keep it in one lane.

(and something is odd about your table because BMW has been advertising the Mini as 37mpg highway)
    ..and Yahoo Autos says 37 MPG http://autos.yahoo.com/2010_mini_cooper_hardtop/

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On average, European cars have better handling than Japanese cars. The mini is no exception. Even a Volkswagon will handle *very slightly* better than the Toyota. But Japanese cars last a lot longer by tens of thousands of miles, and are way less expensive to maintain. This is why Japanese cars have been so much more popular than European cars for the past years.

American SUVs are an entirely different story. They offer little the way of European handling or Japanese value. Indeed, American cars are just a bottomless bag of disappointment.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Per Side-by-Side Comparison, the 2010 Mini Cooper has an EPA rating of 25/33, 28 combined for the auto and 28/37, 32 combined for the manual w/both on premium. Bob's table is correct.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This evening I saw the Mini ads on TV and realized this posting, this whole thread, is just another attempt to solicit Mini customers from the Prius community. Understand, I have nothing against the Mini but it doesn't meet our requirements. So I began to wonder, does PriusChat have an alternate forum for such bald-faced, marketing?

When the next one shows up, perhaps the 'powers that be' might create an "Other Car" forum to hold this latest marketing thread. After all, we're seeing a number of Mini-advocates show up who probably would be happier without Prius advocates . . . something common at a website titled "PriusChat." <GRINS>

So let's have some fun with our visiting Mini-advocates:

• It is too small - not even close to the size needed for North Americans.
    • It costs too much to fuel - it uses Premium gas, easy increasing the per gallon cost by 10-15%, and in the best possible mode, burns 25% more gas than the same "head-to-head" Prius.
    • Attracts risk-taking drivers - handling appeals to those who treat our roads as 'race tracks' and take unusual risks. The insurance rates are soon to follow.
    • Purchase price - ranges from $18,000 to over $30,000, not that far off from the Prius, which gives more volume, a quiet ride (especially with the engine off.)
    No my Mini Cooper friends, you might have more luck visiting TDIclub or some of the other forums that attract "handling" crowds . . . that have no concept of efficient transportation. You are welcome to stay but we'll point out the 'facts and data' about the impractical Mini Cooper. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When push comes to shove I'll probably buy a hybrid, PHEV, or EV if I have to buy another car. But I find the mini-cooper very attractive. My daughter can barely breathe when she sees one.

Then I think of the oil wars and spills, and I remember my priorities.