1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Theft deterrent system light: always on when ignition is off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JayGoldstein, Mar 2, 2009.

1. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius (w/ roughly 51,000 km) has the Smart Key System (SKS). According to the owners manual (corroborated by my experience), the indicator light for the theft deterrent system should not come on until a) the ignition is turned off and b) the driver's door is opened.

As of yesterday morning, the indicator light has started to flash as soon as the ignition is turned off (i.e., without the driver's door being opened). The light continues to flash until the ignition is turned on. I noticed that when I exit the car and press the exterior lock button, the indicator light stays on for several seconds, and then resumes flashing.

Coincidently, when I started the car yesterday morning (when it was about -20C), the high temperature warning light (which has never been on before) came on for a few seconds. I don't recall whether that light went out before or after the ICE started). That light has not come on since.

I phoned my dealer's service department and was told that the issue with theft deterrent system light is not critical. They'll check it out at the next scheduled service. However, if the temperature warning light should come on again, I should bring the car in right away.

Any ideas about why the theft deterrent system light now starts to flash as soon as the ignition is turned off?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The periodic flashing of the "Theft Deterent" icon is normal operation in all Prii.

JeffD

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll snoop around the diagnostic flowcharts and see if I uncover anything

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This sounds like auto paranoia, where you start noticing things that have been happening all along.

Tom

5. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not just a Prius thing; our 2002 Taurus did the same thing, and I thought something was bad wrong. Had it checked; mechanic said we needed a new battery. Spent way too much money because we were in a not-at-home situation. Light still pinged when we turned off the engine. Turned out that was normal operation. Our Prius flashes the theft deterrent light when we shut down or even open the door, but I've never watched to see how long it stays active.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's not paranoia if your car really IS out to get you!

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And it could be auto-paranoia if you think you are out to get yourself.

Tom

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmmm that does sound sort of vaguely kinky, in a naughty way ... baaaaaaaaaaa

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another sheep pun thread? Unbaaaaaleveable! :madgrin:

On topic: I think the flashing is normal.

10. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've owned the Prius for 2.5 years, and I'll swear on a stack of Haynes manuals that until yesterday, the theft deterrent system indicator never came on if the ignition was off and the Smart key was in the car. Similarly, unlocking the door (from the outside) used to turn off the indicator; now the indicator continues to flash until the ignition is on.

It's not just my imagination that the theft deterrent system is behaving differently than in the past.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jay

Remember that I'm laughing *with* you, not *at* you, hence trying to make light of the topic. My Prius also behaves the same as yours, it probably has always done so

"other" jay

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine flashes when I'm in the car with the key fob. It goes out when I start the car.

Tom

13. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Laugh, and the world laughs with you, question the operation of the theft deterrent system (TDS) indicator, and .......

Logically, the purpose of the indicator light is show whether or not the TDS is active. If the indicator light flashes even when the car is unlocked (as it nows does), you can get a "false positive" reading (i.e., the TDS appears to be activated when it actually has not been). That seems to defeat the purpose of having an indicator in the first place.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The purpose of the indicator is to warn any potential car thieves that they are wasting their time breaking into your Prius. That's all it really does.

Tom

15. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems to me that the TDS indicator should only flash when the car is locked. Suppose a) that you mistakenly think you've locked the car because the indicator is flashing, and b) a potential thief doesn't notice the flashing indicator and tries to open the door. The result is obvious: the thief gets into your car.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good point Jay, but my Prius behaves the same way yours does. I just never paid any attention until you brought it up.

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's not what it's for. It's not a car alarm, it's an engine immobilizer. The immobilizer doesn't give a rats nice person about someone breaking into your car, it just keeps them from driving away.

As for someone mistakenly thinking their car is locked because the light is flashing, that's simply user error.

Tom

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jay

If it helps you feel any better, sit in the driver seat and scream the F Bomb at the flashing indicator. It can't hurt, and I swear the vehicle has more respect for you afterwards

Respect = fear

the "other" jay

19. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the TDS is not a fulfledged alarm. However, the manual for my 06 states that the TDS is supposed to make the headlights flash and the horn honk if a locked door is opened (or the battery is disconnected) when the SmartKey is not present.

I can verify from personal experience that if a thief breaks a window and reaches into the car w/o unlocking the door, the TDS ignores the intrusion. :(

20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The TDS and the engine immobilizer are two different systems. The flashing key is for the immobilizer, not the TDS.

If you want the TDS to work against glass breakage, you have to add an optional sensor.

Tom