1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of buying a 2010 Prius IV with 95,000 miles and extended warranty for 14,500.

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Vernay, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello:

I saw a ad on Craigslist for this car. Here is the orginal ad. Please read and tell me what you think. Is this an ok deal or should I wait. He will take 14,500 for it.

Perfect Condition! Used as commuter car. EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERS YOU UP TO 150,000 MILES OR THROUGH 2018 (It is transferrable) THIS CAR GETS OVER 50 MPGS! BLUETOOTH PHONE AND AUIDO REAR VIEW CAMERA JBL Premium Sound system overhead airbags This one is priced to sell. See it in person!
    Moving and must sell! All offers will be considered.

Here's the link: 2000 Prius IV - White with Extended Warranty!

Thank you!

2. Elysea

Elysea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds to be okay. I bought my 2010 Prius II and it had 90k on it. I took it to Toyota to get it fully checked out despite the carfax report being completely clear. Mine was 15,000 plus taxes at Carmax. I say go for it if you can take it to Toyota and get it checked out first before you put money down. It isn't uncommon for Prius owners to get rid of their cars right before they hit 100,000 miles is what the Toyota dealer told me. I didn't know the 2010s had a IV generation though...

3. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think he's asking a little much. I just paid $18,500 for my 2013 Two with 20,000 miles on it as a certified used car from my local Toyota dealer. Of course it's a couple trim levels lower than the Four you're looking at, but I'd be wanting to get closer to $12,000 with that many miles on it.

4. Dave14Prius

Dave14Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have seen people report buying a NEW Prius 2 for 19,400. I could not find that good a deal when I bought mine 9 days ago, but I got a good deal with the 2000 rebate available until 5-31-14 with my trade-in.
    You "might" be able to add 6k and get a brand spanking new zero miles car.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Heat Gun

Heat Gun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's why I did,

Used Prius in Los Angeles no way under 19k and over 50k miles, I spent 5k extra and got brand new Prius, color and package I want, this affects payments by $100 a month, you drive brand new car with extra $100 a month, go figure.

7. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got a 2010 II for $10K cash, with 112K miles, Pearl colour. It drives and feels like a new car. I am happy. No more payments.

8. Freefall_Doug

Freefall_Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    New member here.

I just bought a 2010 III with solar roof, 57k miles from a dealer in MA for 14,900. I had a private party sale for a very similar car, 2010 III with 55,000 miles fall through for 13500 because the seller didn't honor his word and wait for me to show up with a cashiers check the next morning.

Here in New England there were a decent amount of cars but the dealers seemed to want a good premium and most weren't willing to budge on their internet prices. Blah.

9. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One of the disadvantage of private seller is, that buyer can't get loan from bank if seller is not a dealer. But lots of sellers does not know that, and keep asking almost same price as dealer.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what bank you have. But...I have gotten used car loans on private party sales before. The issue is that most private sellers don't want to wait around for the check from the bank. As it can take up to a week. They want cash now....

Plus you will potentially pay a higher interest rate, and should have good credit...

11. Ralith

Ralith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just bought my 2010 Prius III with JBL (no nav) with 62k for $14.5k from a dealer. I wish it had the solar roof as previous post bought his for a $400 with this option. I drive a make several stops during the day, but can't be picky when buying a used one.

I would agree that $14.5k with 95k miles is a bit high. Even with it being a IV (more options that depreciate quickly) that's almost 2 years of normal driving (15k/year) that you won't be getting.

BTW, how do we tell between a Prius with trim lvl V and Prius V (larger one)? Is it Prius Five now vs Prius V?

12. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We've been with Chase for a long time. They first said min loan amount is $7500 (we wanted only $7000). Then later they denied the loan, saying they don't loan for buying from private seller.

13. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To OP.
    I did some research on Gen II and Gen III Prius recently, and I found the price is higher than average car's relatively. I checked the price of hybrid camry, highlander and Lexus RX400h, their price is much more reasonable. If you don't drive a lot but still want a hybrid, consider those cars. Just my thought. For example, 2007 Camry Hybrid, you can get a 100K miles for $10K.