1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of buying a new Prius v but had a question about the heating and air condoning system

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ernie1, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What I'd like to know is this: is the heating and air conditioning really effective and is there a separate vent for the back seat? I presently have a 2008 Gen 2 Prius and feel the hvac system leaves a bit to be desired.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes and yes. No complaints from the amply roomy and environmentally coddled back seaters.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Works well even in Texas heat. Warms up quickly also, probably less than 5 minutes. There is some kind of vent under both front seats at foot level. Back seat passengers have not complained. I do have film on the side windows. Toyota added cooling power on the Prius v.

\"Also, the three-outlet, center diffuser in Prius v is designed to allow greater through-cabin ventilation, accommodating the 2nd row and back. The center outlet, in particular, directs air towards the back of the cabin.

"Prius v also uses an intelligent control system for the air conditioning that automatically adjusts for conditions such as outside temperature and sunlight intensity."

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't speak for the v, but the gen III seems the same as the gen II to me. which i feel is more than adequate. although, we don't get your heat, we do get a lot more humidity.

5. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've had Toyota cars for 30 years and their AC and heating have always been a bit weak IMHO. Even my wife's Lexus AC is a bit weak in the hotter months.

That being said, so far in 4 months I've been OK with the efficiency of my 2013 Prius systems. Naturally if you're driving at Eco Mode as I do the AC is throttled back somewhat. The heat also takes a bit of time to get rolling and it does give your MPG a pretty big hit. On my normal 6 mile drive to work if I turn on the heat then the EV mode won't come on until 1/2 way to work when normally in the same weather it will go on within 1 mile of the start.

But once it's going, the heat goes pretty evenly throughout the car. I like that all of the head level vents can be completely close to avoid air spillage into one's face.

I have the heated seats as well and boy are they hot. I don't like them but my wife does. I wonder if they are more efficient than running the heat?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I own a v in the Mississippi Delta, in the afternoons of summer I have to shift out of ECO mode sometimes to get the full power of the A/C. 9 months of the year I am 100% in ECO.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In central NC and run ECO mode 12 months of the year. From 98F to 12F no complaints. HVAC controls easy to use once you grasp the concept of the single rotary switch and I noticed after 15 months and 15k miles I made adjustments the other night without looking (outside temp had changed 60+ degrees in 2 days). Good defrost. Have never elected to use a different vehicle due to HVAC concerns.

I have the fake leather seats but without seat heaters. Seldom found them necessary on prior cars except convertibles I was running top down in the 40s.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it a bit slow to warm up in cold weather, the block heater would help a lot with this, and the heated seats do also. No complaints about cooling in the desert heat with 20% tint all around.

9. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like mine. Have no complaints. I use the heated seats before I use the heater. If really cold I will use both.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Be alert to who responded about the Prius v you asked about, and who had some other Prius.

11. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thanks everyone for your help and replies. Looks like my concerns about the hvac system are unfounded and I'm going to do further research on the Prius v and then probably commit to buying one soon.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wish there was a Mode that only directed air to the windshield. The nearest Mode splits it between windshield and heat, down by your feet. To deal with serious fogging your only other option is the hells-a-popping front windshield defog button, which forces AC on ;(

(Just realized this is Prius v forum. I'm thinking of regular Prius Hatchback, maybe the same vent options?)

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Same design and behavior on the Prius v... and on the Honda CR-V.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like both my Prius v and the Gen 2 I had before it, but no car is right for everyone. Here are some hints a Prius might not be for you

considering a Prius | PriusChat

15. Alan Claver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It only turns on AC if the system is OFF when you hit the Defog button. If you have the system ON, it only changes the air direction. At least on my Prius 2013.

It also ramps up the speed which is HIGHLY annoying but that's another issue. :cool:

16. jtv

jtv /* No comment */

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Just give the knob a nudge to the right and you can control the fan manually in the windshield mode too.
    The A/C can also be turned off.

At least in the Scandinavian version of 2012 v (known as Prius+ here).

17. Alan Claver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Prius 2013 Type V - no knobs. :cool:

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The center round control on the HVAC panel I'd call a knob and moving it side to side changes the selection in an outlined window from mode to temp to fan speed. On a V3.

19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Same on v Five.

20. Alan Claver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2013 Prius V5 has NO knobs. All HVAC controls are buttons. The mode is controlled with one button which when pressed cycles through the air flow modes. Plus a button for Defog.