1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of purchasing a 2007 Prius with 36,000 miles on it. Should I be concerned about battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vernay, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello:

My funds are limited and am thinking about purchasing the above mentioned vehicle. It is in great shape but it is also 7-close to 8 years old. Do you think I should be concerned about the battery? I just don't want to make a mistake in purchasing this vehicle and the battery goes out on me. Thank you!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and no.
    What state are you in? some "CARB" states have 10-yr warranty. The rest have 8 years, so check to see how much time left you have. If non-CARB state, yes there is a chance the hybrid batt could die...sometimes seems like the ones with less use kick the bucket. Replacement cost is ~$3500 at dealer you might find a cheaper options, depending on where you live.

Vernay likes this.
  3. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in San Diego ,California

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well good for you Vernay...you live in the state that invented CARB!
    That's nice, but you still need to make sure the car is CA-certified (purchased and regsitered in CA), but sounds like your're good for a couple years. Some folks say Toyota requires that the car be bought, registered, and owned in a CARB state for the entire life of vehicle (but I have never seen that in writing from Toyota). If that's unclear for this vehicle, let's disucss further.

But one would think if the battery is weak in this car, it would probably die under CARB warranty period. You might want to understand the date of first purchase which presumably sets the warranty 10-yr start date.

#4 wjtracy, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Vernay likes this.
  5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Or you could buy a regular car and the transmission goes out in a year, costs as least as much as a battery, if the car is a California car, and you have it checked out..go for it, because gas will be about half of what you would use in a regular car.

Vernay likes this.
  6. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm still a little confused. Should I go for the 2007 or should I look into something newer? I'm definitely not going with a regular car. I want a prius.

7. walpoleauto

walpoleauto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That price sounds like a steal. The battery should be the least of your concerns. I currently have 2004 Prius's with 300,000 miles running on the original batteries and still achieving 50 miles per gallon. If the battery goes, you can take the easy way out and get a used one out of a junkyard for $500 and change it in your driveway. This forum provides just about everything for DIY to keep the costs down. Compare the cost of a junkyard battery to having a mechanic do a timing belt on a normal car. If you have patience and research enough, you can even rebuild the battery yourself for as little as $50. Good luck and welcome to the Prius community :)

Daves09prius and Vernay like this.
  8. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the original ad: What are your thoughts? Also kbb states that it is actually 14,861.00. He will take 13,500.00.

I am a one owner white Prius with 36000 miles and it is extremely clean and well maintained. It includes the #5 package which has all the comfort items: gps, jbl audio, tilt wheel, ps, pdl, pw,crome wheels, cc, air bags everywhere,mp3, satellite radio/6 disc cd, bluetooth, backup camera, hi intensity headlamps w/fog lamps, stability control, floor mats and cargo mat plus a whole lot more. Non smoker and no accidents. Title in hand and I am the one and only owner. This is a very nice Prius and priced right with extra consideration for the low mileage and near perfect condition. This is a very nice clean Prius and well worth the private party KBB sale price of $13950.00 Come look if you are serious and not a wholesaler. I have bought another Prius and this one will make someone a very nice car and gas mileage local has delivered 51mpg in the winter with 44 mpg average in the summer. Interested?

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ? I thought there is no winter in CA ...where is this car registered today?
    He is asking quite a bit ...my 2006 is about $8000 value now. so say his might be $9000.
    Then you gotta give him credit for low miles, but how much credit?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as you can see, we are unable to predict, and unqualified to answer the battery question. you have 3 years left on the warranty. pull a car fax and request all maintenance records. if they have taken good care of it, and you like it, you may get a great car with many happy miles ahead of you. reset the mpg gauge, take it for a good long test drive under various conditions and note the average mpg's.

11. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kelly Blue Book listed his car at 14,861.00 today. It's still registered in California. Yes, we do have winters here but not much. Very little rain and no snow.

12. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correction: Very good condition is 14, 461.00 which is 400 dollars less. It's a package #5

13. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your advice. I will do so. Sending a request for the car fax now. If he does not have, I will purchase should I decide to purchase the car.

14. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I drive a low mileage (but not quite that low) 2007 I've had since new. It's a great car, no question, and I'm not too worried about the HV pack or anything else. It still seems like a "new" car to me and it rarely leaves its insulated garage.

That example looks good on paper, and with the additional CARB warranty protection, your odds are good of having a great vehicle with low cost of operation. There is always the possibility of needing something expensive (like a transaxle, inverter, multi-function display, etc), but reliability has been high. If you keep a few thousand $$ stored away, chances are nothing will go wrong (that seems to be how things work).

Fuel economy is usually better in the summer than winter--I wonder if the owner accidentally switched the numbers in the ad. Well, I suppose in southern CA, the summer may require so much A/C use and the winters are plenty warm--maybe Prii do get better winter mpg there.

If the car was kept outside in San Diego, the heat can have some undesirable effects, such as heat-stressing the HV battery, brittling the interior plastics, weathering the exterior finish, etc. Plenty of Prii are kept outside though.

The decision whether or not to go for the car is a personal one--no one can advise you on that, but if you like the car and the purchase price works for you, chances are it would be a good choice.

Vernay likes this.
  15. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I am going to go check it out today.

16. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't buy a 2000.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is a '14 pkg 2?

19. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry. It's not a 2000. It's actually a 2010. He posted it wrong.

20. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bisco. Can you follow the link and tell me what you think?