1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This is all the warranty you get in Germany - good luck with that

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by pakitt, May 4, 2016.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi there - I just found this interesting very neat overview of the warranty that car manufacturers offer on the German market, on the latest ADAC Monthly magazine.
    Toyota fairs quite well.
    Why would one want to buy a German brand and many others not going beyond 2 years, especially a BMW without *any* warranty, is beyond me.
    IMG_8370.jpg

NOTE: if I understand correctly, "warranty" is not the 2 years' compulsory EU regulation that the manufacturer needs to repair defects at delivery, which are not found by the customer at said time of the delivery - and which are not related to the usage of the car.
    (Good luck showing that the dashboard not working correctly it was a defect you could not find at delivery, it is instead their fault and not yours using it, at BMW...)
    Hence warranty is otherwise what a manufacturer will repair at his cost in case it gets broken, not due to a defect at delivery, and not due to regular consumption of the part, but simply for bad quality or faulty design.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heh! …it's not even in English!!!!:eek::confused::unsure::whistle:

3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry.
    Jahre = years
    keine Garantie = no warranty
    Oder = or
    For BMW it is as I mentioned above. They give not warranty. Only what the EU forces them to do.

bisco likes this.
  4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Nothing like standing behind your product...

pakitt likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait what? Even a kettle gets a 1 year warranty lol. I'm surprised BMW doesn't offer any warranty except in the E.U.

Over here, BMW offers 4 years or 80,000km new car warranty. Most luxury manufacturers plus Volkswagen, smart and MINI offer 4 years or 80,000km.

Non-luxury makes offer 3 years or 60,000km

The exceptions are

Mitsubishi at 5 years or 100,000km.
    Hyundai/Kia at 5 years or 100,000km (excludes radio/nav & paint: 3/60,000, battery 2/40,000 and any adjustments like bulbs, wipers, brake pads 1/24,000)

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Over here instead people buy BMW with closed eyes and nose, because it looks cool and it is a BMW and...whatever. And then the bill comes. BMW guarantees to pay on its bill only those faults due to defects at delivery that could not be assessed at that time by the customer. Everything else that breaks down because it is faulty or not of quality, the buyer pays. Well, no wonder 75% of all BMWs here in Germany, if I remember correctly, are leased....

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How long would the warranties last in the USA if it weren't for the Federal and State laws? If the auto industry could get Congress to repeal the laws they could save a ton of money on recalls and warranty repairs. Tie exemption to US based manufacturing and Takata couldn't build a factory fast enough.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Talking about the bolded section, what exactly does that entail? Things that are underneath the car? or things that a person would require a tool to remove and assess?

So say a power window motor fail. Is that covered by BMW? It technically can't be assessed by the buyer since it requires the removal of the door panel. But would BMW say "well you could've tested the window and see if it went up and down"?

Hmm that is interesting.

Here, I think 70% of BMW 3 Series are leased. I think the more expensive ones tend to be bought (maybe closer to 50/50 purchase/lease split?). My question is, what happens to all those lease returns? Here, you don't see many 2000-2010 entry level luxury cars (except the IS and TSX - there are a number of those around as they're usually purchased new or purchased second hand) so where did they get shipped to?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i bet they give you a tow rating though.:cool:

10. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No matter how bad those german brands perform, there is always a second Life for those leasing cars: export. There are many thousands making portuguese drivers smiling when arriving with one (used from DE) and impress neighbours. Within 5 years no one will be impressed here because it will become a too popular brand...