1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This loser tried to pass me

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheChosenOne, Feb 3, 2016.

1. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    anything? Yeah so there was a pothole in the road and I turned into the other lane that goes the opposite direction since there was no traffic going the other way and there were cars in the other lane that is going the same direction as me. I was going about 7 MPG over the limit but the loser behind me sped up violently and switched to the other lane to try to pass me up. I was thinking "aww hell no, I did nothing wrong and this dude getting mad at me for avoiding a pot hole? screw it I'm not gonna let me pass me". So I pushed the accelerator to the max on eco mode for like 3-4 seconds and the dude couldn't pass me up and the two lanes merged into one. I taught him a lesson not to mess with a Prius driver. But in doing this, did I mess anything up? My car ran fine after that and I didn't notice any strange sounds but who knows, it might've damaged something inside or might not have.

#1 TheChosenOne, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    bwilson4web, fsu23phd and bisco like this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, there is something called a break in period. :whistle:

3. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is also something called "defensive driving". I'm not a fan of those who think a car duel is some kind of blood sport. Sheeeesh.

Mendel Leisk and eric1234 like this.
  4. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Drive it like you stole it, for 4 seconds, no big deal!

5. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love the phrase. LOL :) I still don't agree with the philosophy. I get on my wife's case when I'm on the phone with her and I hear her honking the horn at dumb nice person drivers. Some of these idiots will run you off the road and come at you with a tire iron or gun. It is simply not worth the risk. Let the idiot pass. Trust to karma that they will hit the next pot hole or miss a turn and end up off the road ... then you can chuckle to yourself as you cruise by. ;-)

Look, how many times do morons hit the horn the instant the light changes to green ... as if it were a drag race? Just ignore it. If you spend your life responding or reacting to morons there will be time for little else.

Beside that, doing what was described above is called "aggressive driving" and counts as two or three points, if you are spotted.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  6. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Its 7 MPH not MPG and by screwing up your car how did you teach him a lesson?

mike091020 likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I might have been more impressed if instead of "screw it I'm not gonna let me pass me" you'd written "screw it I'm not gonna let him piss me off" - over the 50+ years I've been qualified to drive, I can't say I've ever treated driving as a competetive sport, but I think your name tells me all I need to know about you and your attitude. :eek: :rolleyes: o_O;)

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Who's the biggest loser, the one that loses their license first?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if pressing the pedal to the metal would hurt the car, the pedal wouldn't go that far. no worries.

funny, i'm a pothole avoider. and whenever i maneuver left or right on a single lane road to avoid a pot hole, some dufess behind me swerves the other way and guns it, thinking i'm turning off, even when there's nowhere to turn.

mike091020 likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First thing's first...
    You didn't mess anything up....well at least not with the car.

Priuses are mostly fly-by-wire.
    That means that you can boot your car up, throw a brick on the accelerator pedal, go have a cup of coffee, and nothing bad will happen---at least with your car.
    Maybe YOU should consider decaf.
    There's no mechanical link between you and the engine room.
    You can literally "throw it into park" while driving down the interstate, and the car will laugh at you in Priuseese. (it will sound like beeps to you.)
    That's because when you push the "P" button....or step on the accelerator....or put it in PWR mode you're not actually "doing" anything.....but rather you're making a request.
    If the Prius doesn't want to go into reverse?
    It won't.

There are, however, limits to what engineers can do with cars.
    The Prius isn't able to stop drivers from being idiots, because engineers just aren't that talented yet.

That's why we have Highway Patrol Officers. :)

If "the other guy" was "the loser" as the Donald would say, then my advice would be to let El Fato catch up with him or her.
    Sooner or later they will get a ticket...or get in a wreck---probably hurting somebody who is just trying to get to work, or they will suffer poor fuel economy.

Don't BE the loser.

Good Luck!

#11 ETC(SS), Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  12. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a bit crazy, IMO. Have you heard of "red line"? It IS possible to run an engine over red line and destroy the engine. That is why some of us lament the lack of tachometer in the Prius.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, but i'm not sure prius will allow that. do you have any data?

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ".......There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits."

-or-

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dave Bowman: What's the problem?

HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?

HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.

HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?

HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.

HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

15. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I hear 'ya. I think the first qualification for a driver's license in MD is to have an IQ below room temperature. Seriously, I know about awful driver's. My introduction to driving on the East Coast was about a week after I got here. Someone was BACKING UP on the freeway because he had missed his exit. !!! If you miss the exit, your penance for inattention is to get off at the next one, no matter how far, and come on back. Good Grief. I used to ride a motorcycle in CA, and the first time I took it out on MD roads I came home and garaged it until I could sell it. No way I'm going to ride out here.

I also suffer from some road rage, which I have learned to detect and manage early. These days I signal a lane change, but ONLY after I see that I can do it and have ALREADY started the change. If not, the idiot behind the open space will accelerate to close it up and freeze me out. Sometimes you just have to take a breath, let it out, and go to your happy place. Either that, or become part of the problem.

Yes, the lack of any claim by Toyota that the Prius engine is different than every other engine I've heard of. I'm quite sure that there is enough instrumentation available to act as a over rev governor, but no one I've heard of says they have implemented such a system.

#15 mike091020, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would you need a tachometer in a CVT equipped car?
    Yeah....OK....so I know it's not "really" a cvt but that's how it acts.

What, exactly, are you supposed to do with the information that the tachometer supplies you with?
    Downshift?

The Prius doesn't have a "red line" because it's really really tough to over-rev the motor.
    There's no mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body, and even if you could reach into the engine compartment and yank open the TB, the engine would still not over-rev.
    The Prius is rev-limited but the driver doesn't have any rudder input in this process.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a scan gauge will show rpm, no?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mike, if you own a Prius, you can learn all kinds of worthwhile stuff by reading your New Car Features Manual on techinfo.toyota.com. The major ones are for each new model, so yours would be the 2004 edition.

The throttle control in the Prius is entirely by wire. The throttle plate never, ever assumes any position that isn't exactly where the computers want it to be.

Try to overrev your engine some time. Just try it. You can watch the RPMs with any OBD-II scantool (even the most generic ones, because RPM is one of the generic OBDII values).

-Chap

19. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes

20. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, upshift if anything. :) No, ease off on the gas. Which is what the OP should have done rather than racing the idiot full bore to prove a point.

Good to hear. All I can say is that I still drive by ear. If the engine sounds as if it is going too fast, I throttle back. I can afford getting there a few minutes later ... not so much a new engine.

Merged.

Yeah, if you have one connected and all of that hoo-ha. I don't. It would be super nice to add one to the HUD.

#20 mike091020, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016