1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on past weekend test drive 2014 Prius III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by yibo829, May 19, 2014.

1. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Last Saturday I test drove a 2014 Prius trim 3. I must say that it has a softer ride than my current 2009 Prius and of course it rides better in terms of ride quality. It felt more substantial. Another thing I took notice was the steering, it was feather light. I'm not sure why my current car's steering is much heavier than the 3rd generation. I loved the lighter steering.
    But here are some of the things I didn't like. The leather seat is pretty low quality in my opinion and I know it's not real leather. The Prius lacks insulation, there's quite a lot of road noise and engine noise when revved up. Also the door sounds like a tin can when tapping on it. The interior was very sad to me because it was all hard plastic. I especially tapped on the dash area and I have a feeling it may start rattling in the future like how my current car has a dash rattle. I'm not sure if the trim 5 has the same amount of hard plastic.
    Nonetheless, I still like the Prius very much. I am looking to upgrade soon. I still want to buy another Prius. I feel I can overlook all those flaws I described.

I am also comparing the Prius to the Lexus ct 200h. The Lexus I know has better interior quality and a more refined ride. I like the double wishbone rear suspension instead of the torsion beam rear suspension the Prius has. But of course the Lexus is more expensive.

iPod touch ?

2. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting perspective Yibo. My '13 is my first Prius and I find the same things to be a little disappointing. I do have a dash rattle when first starting out in the morning, and of course my dealer can't seem to replicate the concern. This is possibly the noisiest car I've ever driven on the highway, is your '09 as loud?

I really like the car overall, the spectacular fuel economy largely makes up for the issues in my opinion. My coworker has a CT200H and his fuel economy is noticeably worse than mine. That wouldn't stop me from buying one, but the price difference probably would.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're going to upgrade and you don't seem to like the 2014. Just drive your 2009 for a couple more years and the new generation will be out and that will surely be an UPGRADE

hybridbear likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ what he said.

5. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I agree on the dealer cannot replicate the issue scenario. And yes, it is pretty loud on the highway but I just deal with it. I guess I'm pretty used it after many years of driving my 09.

iPod touch ?

6. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I do agree. I need to see what the next generation has to offer.

iPod touch ?