1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on purchasing an 06 with 312K miles...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by stevenleggett, Feb 11, 2014.

1. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the double post.

New Hybrid battery, tires and brakes were recently installed.

I think the asking price is fair ($4,900), but am worried about the mileage even with the new battery.

Any one have any info? This would be my first Prius.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would not buy any car with that many miles, let alone my first Prius. The Hybrid battery, tires and brakes is nothing. That car is wore out. Run.

3. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I just needed the confirmation to run away.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To say the car is worn out is presumptuous. These cars can last a long time. For $4900, if it runs good, you almost can't go wrong IMO. Does the engine burn oil?

5. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to ask the gentleman that is selling it. From reading other threads this seems to be an issue.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well it certainly wouldn't be unheard of that a car with 312k miles burns oil. It would def be expected.

7. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you're comfortable doing any maintenance yourself, it might be a good deal. Still try to haggle, that seems a little high for the miles even with the new battery. If you would be running to the dealer for every issue, it could easily become a money pit.

8. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mind doing any maintenance, although I don't know much about them. However, this site can be used to help pinpoint any problems. Yeah, I'm afraid it will end up being a money pit and I should probably spend the money up front by getting something with a lot less miles.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you still want to consider buying it, take it to a Toyota dealer or a reputable mechanic who knows hybrids and have them check it out.

11. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He doesn't want to budge off of the price. I'll see if he reconsiders and calls me back. However, I'm going to continue to look for a used one with less miles.

I did find out that he owns an autmotive repair place, located in Theodore, AL, and bought this at auction.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When he says new hybrid battery, that can cost minimum $3000 at dealership, and one could possibly understand the asking price if this was done recently. If he did a cheaper replacement option, or that was while back, then one might wonder if it is worth it. A 2006 is worth about $8000 at 100k miles. Be sure to run the mileage calc on Edmunds or equiv to make sure it makes sense at 300k miles. New engine for Prius is fairly cheap, not that I would have a clue what to do with it. Transaxle problem can be costly though.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I promise you this car is worn out. If you are lucky, and I mean real lucky, you might get 3-6 months before the money starts flowing. +300,000 mile Prius, bought at auction, seller owns a garage...(n) I have turned a wrench for a living coming up on 40 years and I'm telling you not to buy this car. What you do though is your business, so best wishes.

14. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not buying it after reading this thread. I'm going to look for a newer model with less miles. Is there a certain year I should focus on?

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will get many "my favorite Year/Model" opinions here. What you first must determine and communicate with us is your budget and vehicle usage.

16. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The 06 thru 09 Gen II's are virtually the same, the standard wisdom is the newer the better. I believe the 09 was a short model year (the 10's came out early), so you can probably find an 08 easier.

17. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it would be a second vehicle to use during football season for travel and any long distance travel (which is rare). I'd like to keep it under 10k and I'd be paying cash.

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your not making this easy are you? There is a lot of demand for the Prius so your best bet might be to stay with a single owner, low mileage Gen II private purchase. That will take some patience with that price point though.

19. stevenleggett

stevenleggett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry! I've wanted one since I had one for a rental back in 2007. I'm going to be patient and wait for the right one to come along. I've learned a lot by reading this board and appreciate all the help!

20. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure where you are located, but I would check out autobeyours.com in Indiana. Steve is pretty well known on this site for his work on rebuilding wrecked Gen 2 Priuses. Given the quality of his work, I'd rather have a rebuild from him than a high mileage one of unknown heritage any day. I bought his #52 back in ~2007 (flew out and drove it back to AZ), and its still going strong 6 yrs and ~80,000 miles later :)

Rebuildable Prius and Electric Vehicles