1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

three dreaded symbols, red n black infocenter car and fan noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by A J, Jun 11, 2012.

1. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I perused this sit and the web these past 2 days for answers. I became reasonably sure it was the traction batt. but since my small batt. was old and tested borderline, I went and got a drop in Optima replacement for my 06, 135,000 mile prius II. 10 miles into the post install test drive, thinking I was out of the woods for "only" 150 bucks, all the stuff lit up again, and the fan in the back was heard for the first time, My ques, is: should I go get it diagnosed by an independent (preferably) or go to a dealer, or just buy an 08? or newer from a salvage yard. I will keep this car as long as I can. Not planning to fix and sell.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your described symptoms point to a traction battery failure. If you see the traction batttery state-of-charge gauge show rapid changes as you drive the car, that also is indicative that the traction battery is bad.

If you want to be sure then you should have the DTC read.

3. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is exactly as you described. What is DTC and how far can I drive it to get checked? I will be swapping out the big$ batt. in my driveway after/during soaking up info from here and youtube

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    DTC is the diagnostic trouble code. A Toyota dealer has the necessary equipment to read Prius DTCs.

Tom

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding how far can you drive the car in that condition, I would say not very far. Suggest you bring your fully-charged cellphone along so you can call for a tow if you are stuck on the side of the road.

dave77 likes this.
  6. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info fellas, have deciced to park it at the bottom of the drive until I get a battery. I will be perusing ebay, nationwide, depending on shipping cost and thesalvage lots and Craigslist in app. 300 mile radius (N.O., Birmingham, Atl., Tallahassee or thereabouts). Any suggestions on sourcing and possible installation guides would be appreciated, Just filled up the K5 for the first time in years. It had a quarter tank and still took almost 80 bucks to fill at 3.21/gal. I do not miss those days!

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can obtain Toyota repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.

The safety precautions relating to traction battery replacement should be carefully observed for your safety.

8. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, nice site. When I saw what a subscription cost I figured out why. Very steep for a broke college student Any cheaper guide out there just for this task? Also is there a shopping/wish list for tools and equipment to recondition/charge/balance the battery?

9. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well my used battery came in and the swap was made to the point that the replacement battery is in and hooked up. Most bolts holding it down are not in place prior to energizing vehicle for testing. Test complete. It is as if I did nothing. Questions are- Do all bolts have to be in and tight? Doubtful but remotely possible. Bad Replacement Battery? Need scanguage to perform some type of reset of the system? Something else entirely?

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If you disconnect the 12v battery for a couple of minutes, the diagnostic codes will reset and then maybe all will be well.

You did know that the safety plug has to be slid into place to reconnect everything?

JeffD

12. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    12v battery was the first to get disconnected prior to removal of o.e. battery. Safety plug locked in place. Will pull plug, remove cover and replace plug and check voltage downstream. That stated, it is acting like no work performed.

13. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Upon removing service cover I saw one of the 3 plugs was not locked into place. Reconnected, disconnected 12V batt. at pos. terminal, drinking a cup of tea and crossing fingers prior to round 2.

14. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No change in results. With car on, there is no voltage on the downstream terminals. probably due to the fact that is either how the system works, or works when all the warning lights are on?

15. A J

A J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do the computers on the vehicle need to be reprogrammed to "talk" to one another if the HV battery pack gets swapped?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No.

Are you sure that you have pivoted the lever on the traction battery interlock switch 90 degrees; then slid the lever to lock it in place?

When you make the Prius READY, you should hear the system main relays within the traction battery case engage so that the battery is connected to the inverter. Do you hear the relays clicking?