1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three new bumpers in 8 months! Think I am safe for now

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Freedom, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They say things come in three's -- Carmine has had 3 new bumpers in 8 months. I think I am safe now.

First one: I parked out on the street while I sealed my concrete driveway. I thought I was down far enough from the driveway across the street -- our street is VERY WIDE. Well, daughter came to visit with her 3 sons -- 5 year old twins, plus a 2 year old. When she left, the 3 were all screaming (which is why she left the Grandparents and headed home.) She 'thought' she heard something but with all the screaming she wasn't sure, so off she went, home. No damage to her car. I had finished the sealing job and was in the shower when this happened, so for me, it was a 'hit and run.' The police sorted it out, did not charge her with anything (which was fine with me), and her insurance paid everything, even my deductible. New rear driver's side fender, new rear bumper (and the protector strip which I have on that -- the clear one not the black one), new tail light well, light and cover.

Second one: I was at a 5 way intersection. Stop sign, so I stopped at the stop line. Due to a yew tree on the corner, I could not see if anyone was coming from my left, so I moved forward and stopped again. Guy behind thought I was going. I know for a fact he was on his cell phone, but neither of us mentioned this to the police officer. He had a nice big pick up with a push bar across the front. No damage to his truck. Carmine needed a new driver's side fender, new bumper and clear protector, new rear door hatch, new hatch locking mechanism, new tail light well, light and cover. I also got a new shark fin antenna, it was not damaged in the hit but for some reason it got damaged in the auto body shop. His insurance paid everything including my deductible. (The auto body shop may have covered the new shark fin antenna themselves, no idea, did not ask. Long as I didn't have to pay, fine by me.)

Third one: SAME INTERSECTION, now there is a mile high pile of snow blocking any view on my left. So after I stopped at the stop sign I had to move forward, stopped again as yep there is a car coming. Young girl behind me thought I was going, and rammed me. She was in a Nisssan Murano, no damage to her vehicle -- actually her mom's, she is on her parents' insurance (gives you an idea of her age- young) and she was hysterical, never been in an accident. She phoned her mom while I phoned police -- you always need a police report for insurance. Carmine got a new driver side's fender, new bumper and clear protector, new tail light well, light and cover. Her insurance paid for everything including my deductible.

I AM NEVER GOING TO THAT INTERSECTION AGAIN. I found an alternate route, and I am going that way all the time, now.

The auto body shop I use is also the one the local Toyota dealer uses, they have high scores on Angie's List, BBB and any other place I found them listed.

Every time they work on Carmine, it seems they disconnect all the power. I have to reset the clock and my radio presets. I have to reprogram my garage door opener buttons on the rear view mirror.

I sure hope this is the end of accidents for Carmine. I JUST received my Clazzio seat covers (actually they arrived while she was in the shop this last time). I'd hate to 'lose' my car before I even get them on!

DenToyPri05, kenoarto and PriusGuy32 like this.
  2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3 times is a charm?

3. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hope so!

4. DenToyPri05

DenToyPri05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't really "like" this, but I do like resolution.

Lordy, what a series of hiccups!!