1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thule base racks for a 2006 Prius (and longboards)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Nords, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My apologies if this has been discussed recently, but here's what I get when I try to search the forums for keyword "Thule":

I'd appreciate links to a thread or a new answer below.

I'm going to be hauling 4-6 longboards to the beach (as well as passengers) and my inflatable HandiRacks aren't up to the task. I've seen a few Thule racks on the roofs of local Priuses, and from what I've read on Thule's website I think this will work.

Are there any other racks (brands or models) that are particularly good for a Gen II Prius roof? Any long-term problems with the Thule brand? I don't need to permanently mount them, but I'd certainly leave them on for a week or two if the surf is good.

2. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used Thule for years without any issues. There are other brands available such as Yakima etc.

3. Guitcadet

Guitcadet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2142 fit kit for the older racks (400 series) is discontinued, but you can still find them out there. I just picked up the last one from a local outdoor shop at a clearance price. Haven't actually mounted the racks on the 08 Prius yet - just bought the car last Saturday - but expect it to work out fine. Installation instructions show only a 24" bar spread with this setup, but not a bit deal for what you are hauling - might get more interesting with an 18 foot canoe.