1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tinting the Windows

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by daczone, Jan 25, 2014.

1. daczone

daczone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've got to say I just tinted my windows in less than 2 hours total for the entire car, and although it was a little intimidating with all that glass. It was the easiest car I have ever done.

I searched online to see how to remove the door panels, but I have a tip.. You only have to remove the 2 screws NOT the silver piece on under the switches, that stays with the door.

Roll the windows down about 1 inch, before you start. You'll see there is a curved piece of modeling towards the back of the window that your tint needs to be able to go under. The door panels just pop off, You just need to remove them enough to allow the tint to lay on the window inside the door.

[​IMG]
    Panel still connected, just resting there to allow the window tint to lay on the window.

[​IMG]
    One side done

[​IMG]
    All Done.. 4 windows on each side + 2 Rear Windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    $25 total... and 2 hours of my time.

Tint goes on with the normal process, Soapy water in the spray bottle and a set of squeegies. I only had to use a heat gun on the lower rear window, It seems to be a little more curved than the rest, but it's pretty small in size and already has some factory tint on it. The heat gun us used to activate the glue on the film and get it to setup quicker.

I'll try to get some more pictures when it's outside.

xliderider and 32kcolors like this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice, but perhaps you should have considered putting higher quality film on since you went through the trouble to do it? (y)

SCH-I535

3. pfour2131

pfour2131 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That looks so much better!

4. daczone

daczone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Higher Quality?? Explain

[​IMG]

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not knocking your application skills. What I meant was, what kind of film is it that only cost $25? Maybe premium quality tint or ceramic tint might have been worthwhile?

SCH-I535

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bet it's the same quality tint that most people pay $150 for. $25 for film and the rest is just labor.

7. daczone

daczone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah... I see, Well the tint I used is guaranteed not to turn purple and is optic grade, but it's no 3M Crystalline or Huper Optik. But then again I don't live in Texas, AZ, California and my cars are always garaged.

My last professional tint job that I paid the Dealership to do turned purple after 10 years and needed to be redone, but it totally saved the interior. So even the cheapest of tint is better than none IMO.

I went with 30% so it's not super dark, but now I don't feel like I am in a fishbowl. :)

8. daczone

daczone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $150 would be a bargain. Around here $400-$550 is the norm. About $75 per window and double that for the back.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's easy to find $150 tint jobs in Southern California. A number of members here have Johnson film done for $150ish.

10. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone tint their Prius like this?:

[​IMG]

Ie, with the wedge windows really dark and the side door windows lighter? If so, please share pics.

I think it looks nice and balanced and am thinking of changing mine. I would only have to have the rear doors re-tinted lighter and the front wedges darker since I have 20% on the backs and 35% on the fronts currently.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I remember seeing at least one member do that. The front quarter windows aren't considered part of front side windows so you can black them out if you desire. However, I don't think it looks more balanced. If anything, the same tint all around always looks more balanced than any combination of disparate tints.

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree, I meant at least it looks more balanced than something like this-

[​IMG]

Which to me is hideous. It gives it a bit of uniqueness versus having them all tinted the same.