1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tip: Rear struts from dealer are significantly less $$ than aftermarket

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Feb 18, 2013.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am shopping for new shocks and struts for a 2006 Prius and discovered something that may be of benefit to many of you.

The OE rear struts from Toyota cost $29/ea on parts.com. Prices on other online Toyota part sites will be similar.

The aftermarket Monroe OESpectrum rear strut is $60/ea on RockAuto.com. The popular KYB Excel-G is $70/ea.

I am not sure why the OE strut is so much cheaper than the aftermarket option. However, when it comes time for strut replacement, I think the most cost-effective approach would be to use OE rear struts and KYB Excel-G front struts. Together, this combination should cost you less than $200.

edit: When replacing your front and rear struts, you should also consider replacement of the front strut mounts (due to the bearing), dust seal (located between upper insulator and strut mount) and front upper insulators (part of the dust boot, which is often torn), which should add another ~$180.

johnjohnchu likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Out of curiosity, how many miles on that 06? Are there any visible signs/symptoms of them needing replacement?

I've seen widely differing opinions here on when they need to be replaced... I don't have trouble w/my tires cupping or anything, yet. (And my former 04 350Z had feathering and cupping on the inner edges of the fronts even w/o worn struts: that was a well known issue, the subject of TSBs, Nissan warranty extension, etc.)

3. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This one is showing light to moderate leakage on all four corners. Mileage is 102k, though the struts have been leaking since about 80k.

Although this particular car is not bouncy, the struts have lost their ability to "soak up" the small imperfections that are found on most roads. In other words, the ride is on the bumpy side.

Lastly, I recently replaced the rears on my 2011 at 54k, and the ride became noticeably better. And just this week, the R/F strut on my 2011 began to make some nasty noises over speed bumps, so I will need to replace my fronts soon as well.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Interesting, I haven't noticed any worsening of the ride on my 06 Prius vs. when it was new. I'm only a bit past 70K miles. But the ride was never that great to begin with, just comparable to econoboxes. It was significantly worse than my 02 Maxima and way better than my 04 350z.

5. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We need to set you up with one of these comparisons. The degradation is often so gradual that you do not notice the difference until after replacement:

6. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the Touring model supposed to give a rock-hardride? I understand the suspension is a tighter Euro-feel to it.

7. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure.

8. MaryRichmond

MaryRichmond New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 120mi. Prius just had rear strut leak diagnosed at its oil chg appt.@tire shop w estimate of $1656. both. I have never had anything other than tires, oil chg &a battery needed, car seems fine, so wondering if I pay that much & current car value is only $4k, am I risking the fact that life of bank of batteries could fail soon? I would like to keep it, & pretty surprised actually I’ve not wanted newer car yet, but wondering if other more expensive things are apt to start now too. Brakes are @3mm now too.

9. hemi71cuda

hemi71cuda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s an absurd price to replace rear suspension. Get a second and third opinion/estimate. Or ignore until you notice a problem. Your battery should fine for tens thousands of miles to come.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is that the front (disk) brakes, I'd get them replace soon. If the rear (drum) brakes, 3mm is not bad at all.

Attached Files: