1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire decision - Continental Purecontact vs Yokohama Avid Ascend

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eddiehaskell, Mar 6, 2014.

1. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can get:

Continental Purecontact with roadside hazard protection for $353 ($300 without)

or

Yokohama Avid Ascend with roadside hazard protection for $300

Which is the better tire? Price difference is so small that it doesn't really matter. I want best fuel economy/durability. Handling/traction/road noise really don't matter to me.

Any experience with these tires? My stock tires were AVID S33 and my fuel economy was pretty good. Those were replaced by the YK520 which lowered my fuel economy by a lot...I want to say 4-5 mpg.

I want something that gives comparable/better fuel economy to the S33 and last a little longer.

2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    personally I would go with the Michelin energy saver low rolling resistancetires you always need low rolling resistance tires you have to ask them for them you can't just put regular tires on the Prius but if those are my choices that I go with the Yoko's

3. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Supposedly both of these tires have some fancy low rolling resistance technology. I know the Yoko's have orange oil mixed in with the rubber and the Purecontacts have a special compound too. The Michelin energy savers are what I originally wanted, but I just can't justify spending an extra $150 for them.

4. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm getting Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's installed (w/hazard) for $424 tomorrow at Costco. Retiring the OEM AVID S33's at 55k. Expecting as good as MPG.

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have to worry about snow and ice so... When I change out the tire I'm going with the Yokohama's . That's what came on the car, new. They were more or less developed for the Prius and they work very well for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i just bought my 2014 Prius 3 three weeks ago and i put on 2,600 miles on the OE Goodyears Assurance Fuel Max. So i can comment that although i (dis)liked the Goodyears ,the Bridgestones Ecopia 422 are better. The Ecopia 422 tires got installed on Thursdays and i have driven about 700 miles on the tires in three days. The mileage is roughly the same as the Fuel Max, but that's where the similarities end... In every other situation thus far the E422 are better... I haven't tested them out in the rain yet, so i can't comment.

if performance is important to you and don't mind loosing some 4-5mpg then go with the Conti Pure Contact. They are a better tire and also perform very well in Snow and Rain, true all season tire. This was garnered from talking to tire guys and reading the reviews. I read mixed review about the Yokohomas, so i steered away from those tires?

I think for the money the E422 are great as an all around performer, where they are not going to be used as a serious a/s tire. I live in Los Angeles, so i don't care too much about how they handle in the snow. As far as performance tires on a prius, I don't push my car over 65mph - 90% of the time. when i want performance i jump on my Tiger 800 cc motorcycle and split lanes,weave, speed redline and gas the throttle. So in my opinion the tires won't magically transform your Prius into a canyon carver or a track car.

Costco and most tire shops will refund you the money on the Bridgestones within 30 days or 1,000 miles if you are not happy. I inflated 40/38 lbs. and within 20 feet of rolling i knew i liked the tires over OE. Good luck with yur tires.

7. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I lost 3-4 MPG when I changed from the factory Goodyears to Conti PureContacts. However, wet traction was greatly improved.

8. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yep. no free lunches. pick either mpg or better tires (traction, wet, wear, etc.)

9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's not forget to factor in your driving environment. I think that has a lot to do with people's choices. For example: I mainly drive in an asphalt/concrete Metropolis. Yokohama's suite me just fine. I'm sure my choice for a different tire would be in order if I lived in the snow belt.

10. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i live in Los Angeles - for all accounts the Ecopia 422 does nice in the city where weather is constantly warm and dry. Nary a wet day.

11. sooperedd

sooperedd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought the Conti PureContacts were LRR ? I had planned on replacing my OEMs with these but I don't want to lose that many MPGs.

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the price include installation? If so, it's a great deal. Where if I may ask?

13. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was that going from worn Goodyears to new Conti? I believe a drop of 3 or 4 mpg is normal when going from used to new tires.

14. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Install is another $50. I believe I will go with the Ascend with road hazard protection. ~$350 out the door.