1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Decision

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by arrosen, Feb 15, 2013.

1. arrosen

arrosen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I need to buy new tires, and I am totally overwhelmed, so I am leaving it to some experts to guide me.

My OEMs (Goodyear, I think) were replaced at about 35K, and I put on Pirelli P4 (non-LRR) which lasted form another 35K. My mileage may have taken a slight drop (I average 44 mpg), but not too bad. In fact, I;m not really sure if the drop in miles had to do with the tires, or with the fact that my sife started driving the car!

My main concern now is longevity. I would like a set of tires ot last 50-ish thousand miles...maybe I'm dreaming, but so be it. I live in So Cal, so weather is not a concern. And, I would like to spend as little as possible :)

I would also like to buy these tires at Sears becasue I have a lot of Sears Gift Cards!!

Here is what I am looking at:

BFGoodrich advantage T/A - I can get these for $63/tire, and I would jump on these, but I haven't been able to find too many Prius-based reviews. They are not LRR, but I don't know if I care or if it really matters.

Goodyear Assurance FuelMax - These may have been my OEMs, and they only lasted 35K. They are $88/tire

Goodyear Weatherhandler Fuelmax - Would these be OK for SoCal? Don't know much about them. Price - $55/tire

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 - All around solid performer, but will be $83 per tire, and some say that they don't last very long

Conti ProContact Eco - $95/tire - Mixed Reviews

Any suggestions would be very helpful!!

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome. F8L is the resident Tire Expert. Your original tires were most likely Goodyear Integrity. You do not mention your tire pressure. Increasing your tp will prolong tire life. I had 47316 miles and tread left on my Integrities when I disposed of my 2006.

Look at the tires on your short list at tirerack.com. The difference between LRR tires and those that are not can be 10% of your fuel economy. Based on my numbers & experience I'm looking at 200 additional gallons over the next 60000 miles. That level of savings will more than pay for a set of tires.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S is a popular choice for a 15" tire but search for F8L's thread on tire choices as he also lists a long lasting tire. Again, check the treadwear ratings and inflate the tires. No tire is going to last long when it is underinflated.

There's nothing worse than discovering you're not happy with the tires after ward. Best wishes for finding a tire that you are happy with as only you can decide the weight given to fuel economy, longevity, and handling.

3. M'boro Dan

M'boro Dan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I replaced my original equipment Michelins with Bridgestone Ecopias. The low rolling resistant tires can make a significant difference. So far I like the Ecopias.