1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire help - Arizona hot desert and high elevation driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by arizonaprius, Sep 27, 2011.

1. arizonaprius

arizonaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a bit of a unique hot desert/mountain driving situation and I'm a complete dunce when it comes to tire shopping.

I have a 09 Touring with the original stock Bridgestone Turanza tires (P195/55R16) with 45k miles on them. I live in Phoenix, but just bought a cabin in Flagstaff at 7000 elevation and lots of snow. I'm thinking I should go for an all-season tire so that perhaps I can still use the car up in Flagstaff unless there's a blizzard. I would hate to have to always drive our SUV gas guzzler every time just due to the threat of snow.

I grew up in Wisconsin but it's totally flat, so I don't recall anyone ever using chains. In Flagstaff, there are times when they require chains... although I think I would avoid using the Prius if there's a big chance of snow anyway.... but I could get caught occasionally.

Is there such a tire that can perform well in these conditions? I've never used snow chains, so is that a complicating factor to tire choice?

Thanks for any input!! :D:D

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did fine on my Kumho Eco Solus KR22 last year in Santa Fe (very similar to Flag, 7000'), but they were brand new, and I took the RAV when the snow was deep.

You will find that, in deep snow, the car is useless. On icy roads, the car does fine, if you avoid steep inclines. Since you have a 2009, the traction control is better than earlier models.

Rather than tire chains, try an Autosock. For $65, good insurance
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000ZJYF48?tag=priuschatcom-20

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually keep the Autosocks in my hatch during the winter. Just in case. Great insurance.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a look at Michelin Hydro Edge and Good Year Fuel Max, both are all season and are good in snow and ice! G/Y are great for FE as well! Win Win! Nokian are very good winter tires and are LRR as well.Made in Finland. Hal

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. arizonaprius

arizonaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone!! For some reason I didn't get emails with the responses and I forgot about it until one of my tires developed a slow leak. Time to order something. I have no intentions of taking the car in deep snow - and hopefully it doesn't sneak up on me in Flag :)