1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Help: Wheel trims don't fit right after new tires (weights).

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uart, Jun 13, 2014.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I could use some quick help if anyone knows what's going on here. I just got 4 new tires fitted and as soon as I got home and went to check the pressures, I notice that the way they've fitted the balance weights on the edge of the tires prevents the wheel trims from clipping in correctly.

I know that it wasn't like this previously, but unfortunately I've never really noticed exactly how those weights were attached before. Can anyone help me figure out how the weights are supposed to be attached on the standard Prius wheel. I'm thinking about going back and asking them to do it properly, but I'd like to know what I'm talking about beforehand. :LOL:

Thanks.

#1 uart, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are 2 ways to get around this problem. You can either re-balance the wheels with weights that stick on the center of the rim or you can have them re-balance the wheel with weights only on the inside of the rim.

The way you have it balanced now, weights on both the outside and inside of the rim, is the most common and most accurate way of balancing. Sticky weights are more expensive (but you might not have to pay more), but also does the job you need. The sticky rims are usually used on higher end wheels. Having weights only on the inside works as well, but it's not quite as accurately balanced as a wheel that's balanced with weights on the inside and outside of the rim.

I normally ask for sticky weights, if not available, I have them put weights only on the inside. The wheels show balanced and I don't usually know/feel the difference from a wheel that's balanced with weights on the inside and outside.

[​IMG]

uart likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some alloy wheels, especially those with no lip, are balanced using adhesive backed weights stuck on the inner rim surface.

If your wheels were balanced this way previously, then you should be able to see marks where they were previously. Look past the spokes of the wheels at the inner diameter of the rim. Typically they are squares, or several squares in a line.

SCH-I535

uart likes this.
  4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks guys, that cleared up my questions a lot. (y)

I had a close look and I couldn't see anywhere that the stick-on weights could have been placed. It's plenty dirty under those trim rings and I'm sure it would be very noticeable if anything had been stuck there, so they must have previously been balanced on the inside only.

It's nearly 5pm Friday here now, but I'll go back Monday and see if they'll fix it for me. If they want to charge then I'll take it somewhere else (in protest) and pay someone else to do it properly.