1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Inflation Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, Feb 11, 2012.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay
    I have read many different threads on this topic .Almost everyone has their view on what they use or work's for them. Most prius tires are rated at 44 psi sidewall pressure. So some people do like 42 , 43 or variation there of. I found someone in this forum who stated 52 psi inflation pressure . Sounds like a tire ready blow to me!!!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Never exceed the max pressure listed on your tires' sidewalls. That will vary by Brand and Model.

I lower it by 2 pounds to allow for error on my part. I also keep the Rears 2 pounds lower than the Fronts. Then watch for wear patterns, my Walmart Goodyear Viva Authority Fuel Max tires like less air than the stock Goodyear Integritys did.

1 person likes this.
  3. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in agreement with you. The tire industry standard on most 15 tires (aka prius tire) is 44 psi sidewall. Their is a forum thread poster going at 52 psi( I had a hard time understanding) but check it out . Go to Jaygroh.com/prius website and see for yourself

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Burst pressures are ridiculously over max sidewall.

But certainly max sidewall will reduce rolling resistance vs door placard. Many of us think max sidewall improves tire wear, handling, mileage. Negative is more noise, vibration, and harshness which you can somewhat compensate with conservative driving.

1 person likes this.
  5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I run 42 psi front and 40 psi rear. I think there are probably diminishing returns for going much higher.

1 person likes this.
  6. RikM

RikM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmmm. The pressure rating on my 16 inchers is 51psi...
    I'm currently running them at 43/41 (according to my digital guage). That's what I got from setting the tyre pump at the local garage to 44/42... The previous place, with the same settings I ended up with 42/40...
    When I took delivery, they turned up set to 32/28!

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    51 psi, if that is on your sidewall you can definitely do 51 lbs. I always run 50-55 with no problem. Your tires will last much longer and better mpg. I suspect that the manufacturers are required to imprint the maximum sidewall safety pressure, by Washington edict. Burst pressures are probably several times sidewall pressure. Tire installlers must always exceed that pressure just to get the bead to seat.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Several of my tire sets have listed a max bead-seating pressure of just 40 psi, for tires with sidewall pressures of 44.

The actual max sidewall wording varies among different tires. The most recently retired set didn't actually list any maximum allowed pressure, only stating that the maximum load rating was only for the specific pressure of 44 psi. I.e. the load rating did not apply to lower pressures.

A previous poster with some tire experience has pointedly mentioned that passenger car tire pressure ratings (35, 44, or 51 psi) derive from some old regulations, and there is relatively little public information about the safety or hazards of running near or above these pressures. The dangers of underinflated tires are far, far better documented.

So each driver must make his or her own personal decision about his/her comfort zone. The anecdotal stories of many hypermilers who run at and above the sidewall ratings have put my mind at ease. But since I don't speed, don't live in a region with really high speed limits, don't violate the load ratings, and don't live in a hot climate, these other sources of tire stress are greatly reduced on my cars compared to tens of millions of other American drivers. Drivers who do operate with these greater tire stresses need to take these into account when making their own choices.

1 person likes this.
  9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    GREAT sound advice! TY. :cheer2: