1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire keeps leaking, where to look next?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Solkre, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Solkre

Solkre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used 2006 Prius and after a few months the TPMS went off, and I filled the low tire. Then it went off a few weeks later, and again and again. I got the tire looked at. They cleaned the wheel and the tire and re-sealed it and rebuilt the valve for the TPMS. It still leaked. Then I got a new tire on it completely, and again the TPMS was rebuilt. IT'S STILL LEAKING!

They told me they even put the tire completely under water, and saw no leak (bubbles). What could be going on here, do I have a bad wheel (rim?)? Is there anything else I should be looking for?

It's driving me crazy. Good news is everything else on the car seems fine.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes it is possible for the wheel itself to leak; usually from a crack. Cold weather also lowers pressures. What pressure do you set the tire for normally?

3. Solkre

Solkre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They came at 40psi so that's what I kept using. The other 3 tires don't have an issue.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it leaks it should bubble, unless the leak is associated with stress. It's possible that you have a crack in the wheel that only opens under load, such as cornering.

Have you tried another tire store?

Tom

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There not Goodyear Integrities is it because if so thats your problem.