1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Sensor and winter tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Scott Kadera, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Scott Kadera

Scott Kadera New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,

I just bought a new 2014 Prius Two, not II because Roman numerals were used for model year 2010, and I asked the dealer if I could swap my good winter tires on my old 2007 Prius onto the new car. He said yes but that they would also have to swap the sensors from both cars and that the old sensors may not work on the new car. Thus, they recommend I just keep the dealer tires.

I've been getting my tires swapped out each fall and spring on the old car for two years now without having to worry about the sensor so why is this any different? Do they really need to swap the sensors?

Thanks,

-s

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I only have sensors in our summer tires. We do not have any problems in winter driving with winter tires that do not have sensors in them.

3. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There may be laws (state or federal) that the dealership has to abide by which make it illegal for them to mount tires to a car without functioning TPMS sensors (i.e. the law states that they are not permitted to bypass or otherwise render inoperative the TPMS system). If you can change them yourself you're under no such obligation, and you can safely ignore the TPMS warning light for the wintertime. I'd rather have good winter tires and check the pressures periodically.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing: your new tires are 195/65R15, the old ones are? Maybe 185/65R15? Maybe not a big deal, but also: how many seasons have you used the old ones? Snow tires are best replaced much sooner, say when tread depth's down to 6/32", no less.

Hopefully you can find a tire place that'll not having a problem with sensor-less wheels, because they can be an expensive, and ongoing expense/hassle.

FWIW, this is the rim and lug nut I'm using for snows, and no TPMS:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2008 model year?)
    steel rim lug nuts: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

Edit: changed 3/32" to 6/32"

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  5. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Good point. Here when buying new rubber, the tire dealerships are not allowed to physically touch the TPMS.

They bring the rim out to the customer and say "This sensor needs to be rotated 90 degrees to line-up with blah". So the customer twists it by hand, and the tech takes the rim back to the shop where he mounts the new rubber.

The owner of the vehicle can touch them, or the dealership can service them, but anyone else who is not certified can not.

I agree. :)

6. Scott Kadera

Scott Kadera New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, thanks for the replies. I think I have it sorted out now. They CAN swap out the rubber with no problem. There was a miscommunication between the mechanic and sales guy. They discussed swapping the whole rim and tire. That could have caused some problems but just swapping the tires shouldn't be an issue.

-s

ForestBeekeeper likes this.