1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure sensor light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paige11, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Paige11

Paige11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had my tires replaced without having the the tire pressure sensors reinstalled. (one was malfunctioning and I just don't have the available funds to have it/the rest of them replaced, at the current momtn)

Is there a way to disengage the warning light on the dash?

Thanks!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think there's a reasonable way. I did hear of a guy putting his 4 (functional) sensors in a pressurized cylinder, in the hatch. Even that won't work for you.

We run 5 months out of the year with snow tires on separate rims, without sensor. Believe me, after about a week you don't notice that light. Liken it to the passenger seat air bag warning (assuming second gen has that).

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it bothers you, put some black tape over the light. After a while you should get used to it.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to add, while some have done it successfully, playing with the wiring, and/or asking the dealership to switch stuff off, has had a few unwanted consequences.

dorunron likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do agree. All of us are human and we do make mistakes. Sometimes it is best just to leave things alone. My daddy taught me this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Ron

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Black Tape.
    Either that or get some used TPMS sensors and do the mating dance.

I've been an Electronics Tech for decades now, and yes...it's very possible to disable the light (actually it's probably an LED) but I wouldn't.
    Too many evil things could go wrong, and you really wouldn't want to sell a car with a user-defeated federally mandated safety feature........would you? :eek:
    upload_2014-9-9_9-26-14.jpeg
    Scotch Super 33+ ;)

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just doing nothing is an alternative too. Saves cleaning tape residue off. ;)

Yeah, move along, nothing to see here.

8. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the same problem when I first purchased my Prius (used). The TPMS light came on the next day. Rumor had it, according to the guy at my local Mom & Pop tire store, that the battery had died in 1 sensor. :mad:

For $50, he replaced the TPMS valve stem/sensor and reprogrammed it. Toyota wanted some insane price to do the SAME thing ($200 comes to mind, per sensor).

I had come to PriusChat and scoured the web on ways to disable the system all together; while it is possible on other Toyota platforms and I believe even on Gen3's, it is near impossible to do it on the Gen2's while keeping the car happy. However, if you could somehow get into the dash cover and disconnect the light bulb that turns on the tire pressure warning light, you might be going somewhere there (I am not very keep on putting tape over the light myself - it will look tacky but first and foremost would drive me nuts).

So I know money is tight for you... been there. Call around to your local Mom & Pop tire shops though- mine was cheaper than the dealer and any of the big chains in my area (Discount Tire, Belle, etc etc).(y)