1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Warning Light - Dead Sensor..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LulzChicken, Jun 15, 2010.

1. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey there guys.. This is not the first time this has happened. I am driving down the road and the TPMS light starts to blink - and then stays on. I looked in the manual and it says that "When the light comes on after blinking for 1 minute: Malfunction in the tire pressure warning system." The resolution is to "Have the system checked by your Toyota dealer." So that's where I'm going tomorrow. All my pressures, including the spare are how I have them set. I also made sure to re-set the TPMS button under the steering wheel to the new pressures and everything. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm kinda mad a sensor has failed though on a car that's less than one year old. :confused:

EDIT: Resolution has been reached. Turns out it was the License Plate LED bulbs interfering with the system. Tried out different LED's besides the super bright LED's and all is well.

2. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not the first TPWS sensor failure on a 3rd Gen I've seen. No worries as you do from time to time get a hold of bad parts and its covered under 3yr/36k warranty. :)

3. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is good news - I did go into the dealer and they said that the light came on because I had the tire pressures set at 40/42. I don't think that is the case. They set the pressures back to 33/35 (stock). I drove home and put them back up to 35/38 (little above stock). The light came on after 3 days of driving. SO - I put them back down to 33/35 and if the light comes on again I'll be sure to tell them that it was not due to my pressures. Pressures do not set off the BLINKING THEN ON light. Only the on light. Oh well.. I'll see what happens.

4. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This has been happening to me for the last couple weeks. It blinks, stays on, turns off randomly. I have yet to take it in though. They say its from overfilling huh? interesting. Mine are overfilled by a couple lbs. but nothing drastic.

5. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It is not from overfilling. If it was then half the Pri on this site would be having the problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah - I'm not so sure exactly what it actually is caused by. The book says it is a failing sensor.
    That's what I was thinking - however.. As the weather gets hotter and as the air expands more than it used to (in the tires) maybe more issues of this will arise?

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have my tires at 42/40 with no problem. Just be sure to reset the TPMS with the button under the steering wheel when you adjust tire pressures. This resets the system to the current pressure in the tires. Then, if the pressure in a single tire drops something like 8 psi or 25%, then the TPMS warning comes on.

8. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A blinking tire PSI light indicates a loss of communication or improper communication between a sensor and the TPWS ecu. Do NOT let a dealer tell you your 42/40psi or whatever higher psi you run is the cause of your blinking light. I have, on occasion, seen a fully functional sensor fall "asleep". It can be woken up by decreasing tire psi 6psi in 30 seconds. I think you should try this. So if your goal psi is 42/40, inflate them all to 50psi and deflate back to 42/40. If that doesn't cure your problem then a trip to a more compentent/knowledgable dealer will fix it.

1 person likes this.
  9. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep - I did reset the system each time I adjust the pressure. I'm gonna try this again..
    I walked out of the dealer thinking.. This is not right. I know better to be told otherwise. I'm going to pump them back up to how I WANT them. I'll try that trick you told me and see how it works out. I appreciate all of the information-rich replies I have seen. Thank you all very much!:D

10. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok guys - I hate to bump this thread. The light just came on AGAIN tonight. Should I bring it into the same dealer or no? I don't want to get turned away with the same excuse from another dealer... I'm 18 years old - if I go back to the same dealer and tell them that I know it's not the tire pressure causing the light they will think I'm under-educated and don't know my stuff. Any advice as what to do? Thanks for any input. I'm going to give them a call on Monday. *sigh*

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would let the dealer service advisor know that you visit PriusChat and that the people on this site advise you that this problem is with the sensor and not tire pressures. Many people on this site run their tire pressures at 40+ psi with no problems. I would also make the point that the Owner's Manual states that when the light flashes and then goes solid that this indicates a faulty sensor.

If after this discussion, they still want to hang their hat on tire pressures, then it would be time to look for another dealer.

1 person likes this.
  12. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know this is a minority view, but this illustrates just why I hate the whole TPMS idea....period.

I would make sure that the tires are set where you want them, and then ignore the stupid light, at least until you're ready to seriously tackle trouble-shooting the system. It just makes no sense to keep making dealer visits to solve a "problem" that is only an issue if you're dumb enough not to know how to use a tire gauge.

I just used the wheels from a previous-gen Prius [an '05] to mount new Michelin Harmony tires on our '10, at the 3500 mile point. No TPMS sensors, since I took the 2010 OEM wheels/tires and stored them intact to remount on the car at resale time. So the silly light comes on, and I ignore it.....after driving for 48 years, I find I can successfully manage tire pressures without this complex, failure-prone, thoroughly unnecessary complication known as TPMS.

I'm 65, not 18, but you're getting an early education in the way dealer service departments tend to operate - if they can diagnose a problem quickly, with known tools and technology, then you're fine. If nothing convenient exists to track down the problem, good luck. TPMS, in my experience, falls into the latter category. Only you can decide how much trouble it's worth to get the stupid light to turn off.

(Yes, clearly one or more of the sensors is either failing or already failed - the challenge comes in finding which one, without tearing down all of the tire/wheel assemblies. It can be done, but you have to have the right tools for measuring signal strength, and the time and desire to pursue it. This dealer apparently doesn't / won't....}

2 people like this.
  13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it were my car, I'd have a tire shop use their electronic tool to read the tire sensor ids and battery condition. It's probably a low battery (in a new car :mad:), for which the solution is to install a replacement sensor. Sensors are about $100 from a dealer, or $25 on eBay. Then the new sensor has to be registered with the car, which requires either the Toyota Techstream scantool or a fairly expensive aftermarket tool that a tire shop may or may not have.

It could be some other fault, such as a bad TPMS receiver or a bad connection to it. But a weak/dead sensor is the first thing to check. Tire shops usually have the equipment to diagnose the sensors, while you'll have to use a dealer for the rest of the system.

Since one dealer just blew you off on your first attempt, take it as a lesson in how much business you should send his way. Try another dealer who wants your business.

1 person likes this.
  14. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly - I even pointed them the manual and he basically ignored me. It's time for me to put my foot in the door. My dealership is totally brand new with a top notch service department. It's going to be a shame if I have to drive an hour to the other older department. I will if I must though. Thanks for your insight. I'll let you know how it turns out!
    Thank you very much for your opinion. I truly agree with you regarding the TPMS. I check my tire pressures every week or so and everything is up to par and just how I want it. The light has a tendency to come on and go off at random. I'm just going to drive the car and ignore the light untill I have time to deal with my dealers B/S. Thank you again for letting me in on your 2 cents. I'm taking everything in this thread very seriously.
    See that's what I want my dealer to do - but I assume they are trying to take the cheaper/less effort way of doing things and just say it's my fault because my PSI are above the recommended. I'm going to call around to nearby dealers and get them to assure me they will use their tool to check the sensors - and not just literally kick my tire and say the PSI is too high. Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it and will let all of you know how this ordeal turns out. :)

15. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good news everyone - I stopped by the local Toyota dealer and spoke with Clayton Hannah. He is a great service adviser. I ask for him every time. I informed him of my worries about a dead sensor and he assured me that they would be checked. Turned out that the rear right sensor was weak and fluctuating every now and then - probably kicking the light on. I could go further into detail, but I'll see how this works out for now. Hopefully my issue is fixed!

Here is a document I made with quotes from all of you and handed it to the service manager to show the mechanic aswell:
    [​IMG]
    Thank you ALL for your help. I really showed them who is boss this time. :rockon:

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good news is always plus. Hope this takes care of your problem. Thanks for following up on this and letting us know the outcome.

17. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anytime - thank YOU for your input to this problem. Every bit helped. :D

18. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guess what folks? I'm BACK!!!! The light turned on AGAIN! Not sure what I'm going to do this time.. *sigh*

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did they replace the rear sensor that they indicated was "weak"?

Take it back until they fix the problem. I know taking it back is a pain but they need to fix their problem.

20. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The prosecution rests....

TPMS, guilty as charged. (Good grief, this is such an unnecessary complication to automotive life....)