1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire recommendation for 2007 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tampaite, Apr 2, 2014.

1. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone recommend Sumitomo Touring LS T tires for 2007 Toyota Prius?

I currently have Uniroyal Tiger Paw but have been looking for tires that offer higher tread-life warranty and the T series from Sumitomo offers 85,000 miles warranty.

Size: 185/65R15

Thanks!

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like every time I buy a Prius with the Sumitomo LS T's they are scalloped and and extremely noisy. If you wan't a budget tire, I like the Kumho KR21 (85K warranty and 680 treadwear rating). If you can afford a little more and plan on keeping the car for the next 50k go for the Bridgestone Ecopias.

3. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello TampaPrius,

Thanks for responding. Am comparing them side by side and they all seem comparable and Kumho is even closer compared to Bridgestone. Still not convinced that Sumitomo is a terrible brand.

How true is the Workmanship warranty? If I had a flat then would it be as simple as calling the manufacturer and have the tires exchanged or replaced at a local installer?

• Sumitomo Touring LS T
    Treadlife Warranty: 6 Years / 85,000 Miles (T- Rated Tires)
    Cost:$55 per tire
    Manufacturer Special Warranty: 30 Day Test Drive, 2 Year Roadside
    Workmanship & Materials Warranty: Free replacement for 6 Years from date of purchase or worn to 2/32" remaining depth
    • Kumho Solus KR21
    Treadlife Warranty : 6 Years / 85,000 Miles
    Cost:$60 per tire
    Manufacturer Special Warranty: None
    Workmanship & Materials Warranty: 6 Years / Free replacement first 2/32" of wear, then prorated to final 2/32" remaining depth
    • Bridgestone's Ecopia EP422
    Treadlife Warranty: 5 Years / 65,000 Miles
    Cost: $65 per tire
    Manufacturer Special Warranty: 30 Day Buy & Try Guarantee
    Workmanship & Materials Warranty: 5 Years / Free replacement first 3 years, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you look into the Michelin Energy Saver A/S for your Gen II.

I just sold a 2009 Gen II that was running those tires. Very good LRR tire. Slightly better than the Ecopia as far as life expectancy is concerned. Excellent ride, very quiet, good traction, and a definite improvement in MPG. I actually saw a 5 MPG difference as per my fuelly records. I ran them at 42F, 40R for best MPG but even at factory settings they still delivered great MPG. If you ran the 35F 33R that Toyota specifies, the Prius rides like a dream. Ours had 79K on the clock when we sold it. Tires had about 15K on them and still rode like a new car, and that was with all the original struts and shocks.

The only folks who won't like these are those who live where the snow flies or those who have the touring model. Hard to find one to fit the touring. For your car and your location, these will be great tires! And NO, I don't work for Michelin.

P185/65R15 I was running the 88H Series. They come in two different speed and weight rating for the Prius.

Pictured below is the actual tires mounted on our old Prius. Plus the prices from Tirerack last May in 2013 when they were purchased. Your price may vary. Last pic is one of the best tanks with the new tires last summer. They are expensive, but well worth the extra money in my opinion.

DSC01517.JPG Energy Savers AS.gif 584 MM.JPG

Hope this helps you in your quest for the tires. Best of luck to you!

Ron (dorunron)

5. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't have any experience with tire warranties. They only apply to the original owner with proof of purchase. I am just reporting what I have found. I have tried to read through tire warranties occasionally and they look like a convention of lawyers put them together. I would buy based on reviews and hope you don't need to use the warranty. If you search this forum there are numerous threads on tires. There are no shortages of opinions.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After a lot of research narrowed down to Kumho Solus KR21 Amazon.com: Kumho Solus KR21 All-Season Tire - 185/65R15 86T: Automotive tires.

One of the national chains(Kauffman Tires) had similar price compared to Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct.

Four tires cost me about $290 and with tire installation, wheel alignment and TPMS Kit, the total came to little over $400.

The mechanic showed me two TPMS sensors that am told were broken(see attachment) and cannot be put back and quoted me $120 each to have them replaced. I asked them to install the standard valve stems instead.

1. Is it normal to have broken TPMS sensors? do these sensors have batteries in them and how do they get charged?
    2. Also, where I can find the best price for them and does anyone know the part number?
    3. The new tires replaced were 12 months old looking at the DOT numbers. They had 1113 and 1213 listed meaning manufactured in Mar/Apr 2013. Is this the norm?

Appreciate your help!

Attached Files:

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. If the TPMS light was on BEFORE you had any work done I would say that either the tires were low on air and or the sensors were broken. Yes, they have batteries inside that I don't think can be replaced or recharged. My understanding is you have to replace the sensor when the battery dies. Now, lets look at a little different scenario. If the TPMS light was OFF BEFORE you had any work done and the mechanic shows you two sensors that are broken after the work is done, in my opinion the mechanic broke them and should be responsible for the replacement of them including parts and labor.

Also note that if you run standard stems the TPMS light will be ON until you install new sensors and reprogram the Prius with the sensor codes.

2. Prices vary on these things. Check online, Toyota, Ebay, Amazon, ETC. I would go to your local Toyota Parts Department, give them the info on your car and ask how much they are and at the same time GET THE PART #.

3. Well, that's a loaded question. Things like that happen from time to time. Yes, it would be nice if you had dates like 0314 or 0114, but life is not always a bed of roses. As long as those tires will stored properly I would think one year would be okay. Much more than that is where red flags MIGHT be raised. Remember I said this is a loaded question and I have no doubt you will get plenty of different opinions on this one.

FWIW, I think you made a good choice on the brand of tires you got. Don't forget to have them use "stick on weights". The weights you hammer on will corrode the alloy wheels over time.

Let us know what you finally do concerning the TPMS situation. You will get tired of seeing the light after a while.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

9. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hello Ron,

Yea am a bit miffed at getting tires that are a year older but I did get the full replacement certificate so that may negate somewhat so perhaps its a lesson for others to ask for DOT numbers before work is done. I checked after the payment was made *duh*

The TPMS light was NOT ON before taking the vehicle. It's going to be an argument and am not good at confronting people and you are right, it's kinda distracting to having to see the light stay ON all the time but for what's its worth, the store manager agreed to replace it for no charge if I bring the replacement part(Not sure if he was offering to replace as courtesy or if he was guilty)

Let me find the part # and post its price. Thanks!

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you see physical damage on the old TPMS sensors it would be hard to claim the repair shop caused the problem. The sensors are 7 years old, after all. If the tire shop is willing to install the new sensors at no additional charge, that seems like a reasonable outcome.

The fact that the tires are one year old is a bit more irritating IMO but I guess they could tell you that is why the tires were on sale.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would focus on what Patrick Wong referred to as far as physical damage to the sensors themselves. Even then, trying to prove your case in court might be difficult.

I would further "consider" taking the vendor up on the "free replacement" if you bring the part in IF they are capable of doing it correctly AND properly record the codes for each sensor in the Prius. The recording involves using a tool that interfaces with the OBD port and connects to the appropriate ECU on the car. The Prius allows for four codes to be registered in the proper place. This can be done with Techstream (Used by Toyota) along with other various hardware programmed to do this sort of work.

design-13.jpg

If you don't feel comfortable with "free replacement" at this time and have a good trustworthy mechanic I would consult him/her. Otherwise a trip to your local Toyota dealer should resolve the issue once and for all.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

12. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could not find the part number but given the model # PMV-107J was able to buy couple of sensors on eBay and Kauffman installed it and reset the sensors for no additional charge.

Initially they tried to pull another one claiming that I bought Chevy TPMS and said it doesn't fit the Prius but showed them the original part and the replacement and they reluctantly agreed to install it.

Based on this experience, I likely won't recommend this Kauffman location in Tampa, FL.