1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires: Cooper GFE report after 20K

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Dec 21, 2012.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put these on about 30 months ago. They have about 20,000 miles on them. I just replaced one tire in July because it was losing pressure every couple months for about six months and we never could find a leak. No problems with the new tire.

Anyway, handling in rain, light snow, dry roads, etc. seems average. Nothing good, nothing bad. At least as good -- or possibly better than the OEM's....

Treadwear, well, they are at about 20,000 as I said, and, if I get lucky, I may get another 3-4,000 out of them. I do have to say that I drive at least two miles per day (often more) on semi-passable dirt/gravel roads...

PriusCamper, uart and F8L like this.
  2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find that the wear factor on gravel/dirt roads is *much* higher than pavement. I think tire dealers won't honor warranties if they know about that type of use.

(But...a bad day on a country road is better than a good day in the urban concrete jungle..)

(within limits of course :)

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the Energy Saver A/S next time. :)

4. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gravel roads book I have from the EPA says tire wear is increased 40-50 percent on dirt roads.

I think I will try Goodyear TripleTred next.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi CyberPriusII... How's the air pressure experiments? I know high tire pressure on gravel is the fastest way to a flat tire, but how about on I-5 with higher pressure on your Cooper's?

6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No real "experiments" with tire pressure, really.

With the original tires from the factory, I ran those at around 40 psi or whatever it was that John (I believe) recommended. I can't say I noticed any improvement in MPG, but I did not pay much attention, either.

When I switched to the Cooper GFE, they handled significantly worse at high speeds at the higher psi. At the Toyota recommended PSI there is no issue with the Cooper.

A friend who drives a Camry on about the same roads I do has received terrific treadwear with the TripleTred from Goodyear (46K on the last set). I think cost-wise, it would be smarter to "Go with Goodyear."

Goodyear is around $20 cheaper per tire than the Cooper GFE, also (that's without Goodyear's current rebate that unfortunately will expire in about 10 days).

Well, a large "suckerhole" has opened in the clouds, and the 30 mph wind has died, so I guess I had better go outside and clean-up more of the downed limbs from our 100 mph windstorm last Sunday....

PriusCamper likes this.