1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

told not to use anything but regular gas..... true?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by k.s.c, Mar 25, 2012.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The best gas I used was in July 2012 when we went to Reno on vacation. I filled up in Carson City and the
    tank was quite low and took a little over 10 gallons. The station was a store / mini-mart, no name gas
    and I filled up with regular and there was no mention anywhere on the pump of 10% Ethanol as
    there is in Oregon. The price was about 10 cents a gallon less other stations.

After filling up and driving a few miles I noticed an immediate increase in MPG's. I noticed I was getting at
    least 5 mpg's more than with the gas I had purchased in Oregon.

That tank I got close to 60 mpg even after climbing up to Lake Tahoe and Virginia City.

Quite possibly it was because there was no Ethanol in the gasoline.

2. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mike (We0H), I'm wondering if this "cold start knocking" is caused due to the C/R? And owners using 87?
    I use 87 on mine but nothing but the Top Tier Gasoline Top Tier Gas brands has ever gone down my filler neck

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you simulated the conditions in which some of reliably get the cold start knock? I've only had the knock the one time I staged the car to meet those conditions.

4. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use mid grade 89 octane and premium octane 90+ during the winter season due to the winter blend mix they use here in Virginia. I’ll switch back to regular 87 octane during the summer months.

5. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting........... Have you noticed an increase in mileage using 89 octane or higher during the winter blend season? I work with Mark Knight who previously posted about increased mileage using 91 octane. We discussed the increase and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the winter blend in the 83 octane.

6. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well let's just say I'm maintaining an average around 48 to 51mpg during the winter months using a higher octane. Summer months I'm usually stay above 54mpg. A lot of people will argue the facts on whether or not to switch to a higher octane during the winter months. It really just boils down to the individual and their peace of mind. Higher octane will not hurt your Prius regardless of what people say. Is it a waste, probably so, I figure I'm still saving money either way I use to own a 2007 Tacoma that only got 18 to 22 mpg.

WE0H likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    'Winter blend' is richer in volatiles, so it starts easier, while' Summer blend' is poor in volatiles, to avoid vapor lock from boiling. Winter blend in summer would evaporate too easy causing pollution and poor driveability, Summer blend in winter would not start.

The Prius seems to do worse on winter blend, but I am not sure anyone has run a blind test versus outside temperature. In general, the Prius hates cold.

Octane is a red herring, the Prius never needs more than 87 unless you can hear it knocking.

explanation with an ecological bias
    Summer-Blend vs Winter-Blend Gasoline: What’s the Difference? - Popular Mechanics

explanation with a performance bias
    THE TRUTH ABOUT WINTER GAS. BY JOHN HUNKINS

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One tank of each means nothing. If there is a consistent difference after alternating at least ten times, that starts to be significant.

If the engine knocks it needs repair, not higher octane.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's the opposite, at Canadian Chevrons in my area at least: their Premium is the only gas without ethanol.

Regarding all your other points, spot-on: higher octane gas is only needed to prevent pre-ignition in few-and-far-between higher ignition engines. You wouldn't glean that though, rolling into a typical gas station, where 2/3 or 3/4 of the pumps are for this minority...

There's a recent CBC MarketPlace show on the subject:

Pump Fiction - Marketplace

10. Ridder

Ridder Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We don't have winterblends here for gasoline....only for diesel.

We have 95 octane, 98 octane and V-Power. V-power is 97 octane and has GTL fuel blended in.

Low octane in high compression engines (without knocking sensor) can cause knocking.

High octane in a Prius won't hurt your engine....only your wallet.

I know a little bit about those things because I work at the largest refinery in Europe and was for 1 year at the start-up of the largest GTL plant of the world in Qatar.

Luckily I get 20% off at Shell stations....we have to pay around $8/gallon here....

11. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As have all my previously and currently owned ice vehicles. Just another side effect of living in the snow belt.(n)

12. fobber

fobber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not to go completely off topic, but I would like to ask if is it ok to input near max level of gas or "topping it off." On my old car, I would just wait for the gas handle to click and then try to round it to the nearest dollar.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some will say fill 'till she clicks, and others will say fill 'em how you like. I have filled my vehicles to the threads and never had any issues with carbon canisters or any issues at all other than I get to drive a bit further on the tank. First click on a 3rd Gen is about 2 gallons shy of full to the threads. That's a hundred miles worth of driving.

Mike

14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thats what I have always done, no problems.

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New E15 Gasoline May Damage Vehicles and Cause Consumer Confusion | AAA NewsRoom

16. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The stock 3rd Gen ECU tune can handle E50 with no codes set, but Toyota might have to do sumthin else to run them on E15. Has anyone actually done their own testing on the various E blends to see at what point if any issues crop up? All I know is a bone stock 3rd Gen runs just fine on E50. I have never taken the fuel system apart to have a look and I know nobody that has done so to their own vehicle. There are a lot of people that post what they have read online, but can anyone show us actual pics and other data to back up what they found themselves? A 3rd Gen with some changes averages 46 mpg combined running straight E85 ;)

Mike

18. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota said E 15 will void warranty article on yahoo yesterday along with other mfg's. Please correct me if I read the article wrong.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct :)

Mike

20. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in