1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took The Leap! Mechanic Recommendation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jrdamien, Jul 26, 2016.

1. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    After weeks of looking and debating today I put money down on a '09 with 104k miles for $6900. The data from Torque showed the batter to be good. It otherwise is a well maintained Prius.

I had given up on my intention to buy a Prius because I thought I could get a newer (but lesser quality) car for the same or less money. But in the end this wasn't the case. Every Corolla and Elantra and Mazda3 that was an '09 or newer with 100k or less miles were the same price or more.

OR they were prior salvage titles. I had my heart set on a '12 Corolla that had bad hail damage. I could find NO insurance company who would put collision coverage on the vehicle unless the damage was repaired. It's ridiculous, but...

So now I have an older Prius. And now I need an older Prius mechanic in the MN Twin Cities, just in case. I know the local battery guy from here but if anyone can recommend a mechanic who can make use of junk yard parts, please let me know.

Any other advice on what I should do with the car? Change the transaxle fluid, supposedly?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! did you get the maintenance history? if not, it's worth doing oil and filter, check/clean/replace cabin and air filter. at 104k, you're coming up on a bunch of stuff. check the maint. manual, and yes, change the tranny fluid. all the best!(y)

jrdamien likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck.
    I hope your purchase turns out to be a satisfying experience.

Toyota has a "Owners Website"...you can google it. I'd recommend signing up and entering your VIN number.

jrdamien likes this.
  4. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Service was very regular and routine.

Being new to Prius, which maintenance manual? Are they online? What "bunch of stuff" am I coming up on?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it comes with one, but if you didn't get it, they are on line somewhere. search toyota owners site. after 100k, you start to need things like plugs, all the fluids, serpentine belt and maybe water pump, some people clean the egr and intake manifold, throttle body and maf, but they're not in the service, just like tranny fluid.

jrdamien likes this.
  6. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congrats. A 2009 with 104k miles for $6900 is a good deal.

Loanshark, jrdamien and bisco like this.
  7. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I really hope so!

Loanshark likes this.