1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tools: Garage Kit and Travel Kit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PixelRogue, Jul 6, 2015.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Discovered that over the years I have collected too too many socket auto repair kits. Looking to trim the tools down to just what would ever really be needed, vs a size and adapter for all the just-in-case philosophy in the past.

What sockets would be needed for the Prius in a home garage? What sockets would you need in a break down situation on the road?
    Focus is mainly on sockets, however if there are some tools you absolutely love and recommend please also mention.

If someone is asking for what types of projects, want to have all the tools necessary (short of highly specialized equipment) to cover majority of Prius repairs.)

Thank you for the insight

#1 PixelRogue, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the road kit, a few things I'd consider must-haves:

1. Pair of wheel chocks (for use when raising the car with scissor jack, place on the tire diagonally opposite)
    2. Small square of 3/4" thick wood: plywood, pine, or what have you (place under the scissor jack when using on gravel or soft earth)
    3. Wire, string and electrical tape (for emergency repair of torn bumpers, dragging underpanels and similar)

PixelRogue and Umar Ali like this.
  3. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - all good ideas. Had I had the string I could have saved an under panel on a previous prius.

Will post to the technical forum for their input.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    10, 12 and 14 mm sizes would be the most likely used. I would include a 3/8" ratchet wrench with the appropriate sockets and extensions, as well as open/box wrenches. You also need a 10 mm hex key socket to turn the transaxle fill/drain plugs.

#4 Patrick Wong, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Engine oil drain bolt is 14 mm.

For emergency use, an adjustable wrench is good, though might be hard to fit in certain scenarios. I keep an old beater in the car, literally found it lying on a road, lol.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  6. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to carry a tool box full of tools on long trips. Now I don't carry any tools because it is very unlikely anything will break; and, if something does break simple tools probably won't fix it. However, I do carry a pair of coveralls and two pair of nitrile gloves in case of a flat tire, and a quart of engine oil. For anything else I carry a smart phone, credit cards and a few hundred dollars in cash.

As far as the home garage, there is no such thing as too many tools.

Edit: I also have a folding, reflective safety triangle in both cars that you set up behind the car when stranded or changing a tire on the side of the road.

#6 Den49, Jul 12, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since my 2004 is approaching 200K miles, I am somewhat concerned about a traction battery failure. Should a failure occur, a workaround (for a limited period of time) is to disconnect the 12V battery to temporarily clear the DTC. So I carry a 3/8" ratchet wrench and sockets so that I can easily disconnect the negative cable where it bolts to the body, plus deal with other minor issues should they arise.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What Den said about gloves jogged my memory: changing a tire in sub-zero conditions triggered me to keep a pair of insulated work gloves in the car. In the (upper) glove box, lol.

Guess I'll open the flood gates. Some of these are decent gift ideas, for the car nut on your list:

We've got one of those combo flashlight, hazard flasher, seatbelt cutter and windshield breaking tools. Also a collapsible orange traffic cone, jump pack, first aid kit, blanket (doubles as hatch floor protector), plug repair kit, smart charger, tire pressure gauge, tread depth gauge, windshield scraper card,extra valve caps.

A decent bike tire pump is a good idea, if you're going on a road trip. It's a bit of a work out, but is capable of getting even a completely flat tire back to pressurized, without 12 volt draining issues. Or a battery operated one, but I've shied away from those so far. And if you've got a block heater: an extension cord.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Jul 12, 2015
    PixelRogue and Den49 like this.