1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Newb: New 2012 Prius III 3rd Gen - Ev/Eco/Pwr/"other" mode?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by FlavoredAir, Aug 5, 2012.

1. FlavoredAir

FlavoredAir Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi there,

I'm going to be brutally honest here. I didn't like the Prius for years. Made a lot of fun of it. Up until a week ago I drove a 2009 Chevy Malibu 3.6L V6 with an aftermarket turbocharger installed. I loved the power. I got a Prius because I'm about to start a new job that's moved my office from being 22 miles away to just a hair over 50 miles away, and while I'm going to be compensated well for it, the idea of getting 2-3 tanks of gas per week was/is repulsive.

After poking fun at my friends who owned a Prius, here I am an owner. A week in, I'm enjoying it. Missing the raw power of the last car, but the Prius is enjoyable none-the-less. I'm a convert, I guess is what I'm saying.

So, my question: My Prius friends are all giving me a lot of different information about the three (four?) driving modes (EV/Eco/Power/none), and after doing a few searches on the forums, I'm still a bit confused.

I get the EV and Power modes. They make sense. All battery vs. every bit of power the car has. What I'm confused about is the use of Eco mode, and the use of no selected modes. Could someone succinctly explain those to me?

Thank you very much,

Scott

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normal (nothing selected), eco and power mainly just adjust accelerator pedal mapping. Eco also makes some changes to the behavior of the HVAC system.

Although this isn't of any use now, in the winter, using Eco can help prevent the ICE (internal combustion engine) from coming on to provide cabin heat. See Why mileage gets worse in winter | PriusChat.

FlavoredAir likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Eco/Normal/Power remap the response to pushing on the accelerator.
    Power makes it very abrupt once you are off idle, but gives you more control once the pedal is almost all the way down.
    Eco is the opposite, lots of pedal travel for very little difference in power at first , but once you stab the pedal, it is hard to modulate near the floor.
    Normal is a balanced feel to pedal travel.

In addition, Eco 'relaxs' the HVAC routines, so the car can use less energy.

EV mode just tries to stay all electric.

FlavoredAir likes this.
  4. FlavoredAir

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting. So, would you say that most drivers stay in Eco, Power, or "Normal" mode most of the time? I just had my first full fill up and only got about 430 miles out of the tank - which is great, but I'd like to eek out a bit more MPG when possible.

I've left it in Eco almost all the time, except when turning into traffic quickly (switching to Power and then back to Eco once I'm in a lane), and EV when I'm in parking lots.

Should I be leaving it in Eco, or is normal smarter? I'm just trying to understand the situations in which Eco vs. Normal (and I guess Power as well) would be best selected.

Thanks again!

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Depends on the driver. Some people actually get better mileage in power mode than in eco or normal.

I don't have a 3rd gen, but have test driven them a bunch. (My 2nd gen has no such modes at all. The modes were new feature to the 3rd gen). I'd find Eco mode to be too sluggish/slow. Even normal feels kinda sluggish to me vs. the only mode I have on my 2nd gen.

edit: I finally found a chart that has been floating around for ages about the pedal mapping: Pedal to the metal, uphill grades | PriusChat.

Personally, I wouldn't be so concerned about small differences in mileage when the mpg figure is high. See Car and Driver: Mileage? No, it's Your Gallonage that Really Counts | PriusChat. Try running a few "gallonage" calculations (e.g. 20 mpg vs. 18; 50 vs. 45, 55 vs. 50 and so on).

FlavoredAir likes this.
  6. FlavoredAir

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Coming from a V6 that had around 300hp, everything feels pretty slow to me. I know to get the most out of the Prius I'm going to have to adjust my driving style, but I'm having trouble finding a good balance. I know that no matter what I'm going to get substantially better milage. Just need to figure out the best way to drive it for me.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yeah, I hear you.

My Prius replaced my 255 hp 02 Nissan Maxima. I also had a 287 hp 350Z alongside my Prius for awhile. The Maxima actually felt faster than the Z, even though it wasn't (confirmed by trips to the drag strip). Maxima just had way less NVH when pushed.

Prius is really wimpy in power on the highway vs. either of those cars.

FlavoredAir likes this.
  8. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't get me wrong, I am a passionate Prius lover - Got 2 of them. But I think that EV / Eco / Power is a marketing scheme at best, and a driving hazard at worst. I need to instantly know how my car is going to respond in an emergency situation. For me to switch around how my gas pedal responds to a particular pressure of my foot is foolish! When faced with a decision that needs to be made in a nano second or two, I sure don't need to be faced with having to remember which mode I was in the mood for! Leave the buttons alone.

FlavoredAir likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Having owned cars with less than 70 HP, it makes a Prius seem much more powerful.

In my 5 speed 1989 Toyota Corolla All Trac wagon, my daughter claimed she never saw me pass any vehicle while going uphill, except another Toyota Corolla All Trac wagon with an Automatic.

FlavoredAir likes this.
  10. FlavoredAir

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I just took my Prius out for a 30 minute cruise in Normal mode, after driving it almost full time for a week in Eco mode, and I have to say that I'm feeling so much better now. The responsiveness in Normal mode is so much better than in Eco mode. I didn't find myself flooring the gas pedal at all.

Thank you all so very much much! I'm a lot happier with my Prius now!

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming from over 700rwhp the Prius feels fine for daily driving to me. :)

12. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think you made the right choice; when I test drove my Gen 3 I found “Normal Mode” or no mode selected as feeling closest to how my previous car behaved, and PWR mode felt too abrupt. Now that I’m used to how the car behaves, I have switched to ECO mode, to take advantage of the more efficient use of the A/C. I only use EV mode when I’m navigating around parking lots. The main thing is to use the mode that feels the most comfortable for how you drive.