1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Totaled my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stratusfear11, Sep 27, 2014.

1. stratusfear11

stratusfear11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The other night some friends and I were driving home and a car veered into our lane. In attempt to avoid it we swerved, lost control, and hit a utility pole as well as several trees; eventually landing on the roof. Our speed was approx. 55mph maybe slightly faster (that was the posted limit). The reason for this post isn't for sympathy or anything.. I figured some would be interested on how their vehicle would hold up in a real life crash and hearing the story/outcome from the owner himself. I'm sure you can find plenty of pictures of totaled Priuses on the Internet but most probably don't have a description of the outcome and how the passengers were afterwards. There are four passengers in the vehicle total. I was in the passenger seat. Each other occupant was seated next to the door. (Nobody in the middle rear seat). The main part of the impact was the passenger rear quarter panel. The car did roll several times and flipped front to back. I was the only person wearing a seatbelt. The airbag in the steering wheel deployed as well as the passenger dashboard airbag, the right side curtain airbags, and the front passenger seat airbag. The driver side curtain airbags and driver seat airbag did not deploy. The rear suspension beam (not sure exactly what it's called but the equivalent of a rear axle on a rear wheel drive car) was mostly detached and the passenger rear wheel broke off at the hub. The rear seats were pushed together and now overlap slightly but for the most part the cabin stayed intact. Will add pictures shortly. Sorry for any typos, writing this from an iPhone.

#1 stratusfear11, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, how are you all doing?

3. stratusfear11

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry forgot to add that. Three of us walked away. One was trapped and cut out. He had a broken rib and is home now.

4. stratusfear11

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. stratusfear11

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yikes, and some hear are horrified buy the poor offset crash ratings. incredibly safe car, glad you all made it through, that must have been a nightmare!

7. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It still runs and drives, right?
    In all seriousness, I'm glad everyone made it out alive. Especially with only one 1 of you having a seat belt on. Praise the Lord!

Merkey likes this.
  8. stratusfear11

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nightmare it was! If the 12v battery wasn't crushed i bet it would start right up. Well, at least attempt to move on electric! I think for such a small vehicle the structure held up well.

9. ijim2011

ijim2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Glad your all safe. You went big with the wreck.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy shite! What a hit. Amazing no one died. Amazing people still ride in cars with no seatbelt. Given an end to end roll over the roof held up really well. Did the car lose control when the driver whipped away from the guy creeping into the lane cause it looks like the front tires are
    pretty bald. Car breaking free with that much weight in it and your in for it.
    Thanks for posting glad you all walked away.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A little bit of wax and elbow grease, and it should buff right out

stratusfear11 and kenoarto like this.
  12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    driving a Prius without seatbelt? interesting detail. something modified that caused lack of airbag deployment?

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    wow that looks bad. thank god no one was badly hurt. I guess the sob that caused it left the scene.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At least the HV battery pack looks to be in good shape...........Way to design and protect the battery pack!!

15. stratusfear11

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The driver of the other vehicle never stopped. The front drivers side tire didn't have much tread left, the other three were almost new. Although i'm sure the lack of tread didn't help the situation, the embankment was almost a 4 foot vertical drop to the bottom of the ditch (and trees), so there wasn't much saving it anyways. I was too wondering about why the driver's side airbags didn't go off, but I starting thinking, the first impact crushed the 12v battery (it actually was almost touching the spare tire). Maybe the loss of the 12v system prevented the other side from deploying, or maybe it didn't deploy because the driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt? I'm not sure how all that works

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    do you get to part this car out now?

17. stratusfear11

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Insurance towed it away. I've never been in an accident or dealt with insurance, but I'm assuming it's theirs now that they paid off the loan

18. stratusfear11

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would think it's okay, but there might have been some damage. The body of the car was actually pushed in to the point where the folding back seats now overlap

19. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Woow....amazing car crash... A shame ut was the cool black prius You can Buy a nice prius with battery problems and put your actual pack.. You were listening tangerine dream? Stratosfear