1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

totally pleased with pip mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by kurbmaster, Apr 18, 2013.

1. kurbmaster

kurbmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HI just went on a 800 mile trip NY to DC with a full charge when I left. Set cruise control for 75 on the interstate and that led to a 47.5 mpg checked with calculator, gauge in car said 49mpg. Car had two adults and two small children with full luggage. I carried a donut spare that I picked up for $45 that fit half way into the hidden compartment in back under floor hinge. When I set cruise for 80 mph mileage went down to 43mpg.

Meanwhile I have a ten mile commute to work that I take 5 miles of interstate on the way to work. My range is up to 10.8 (now with warmer weather)when I start out and I use this all up on the way there. I take the slow way back home that is a combination of 30-40 mph roads. . I average about 100mpg on the 20 mile round trip, I am only able to plug in at home. I was really happy with this.

When I take the slow way to and from work mileage I go up over 230 mpg using a combination of EV and HV.

I do have one question when I try to force HV mode when I get on the interstate and push the HV switch I notice my EV mileage till depletes unless I push the HV/EV buttons numerous times. What is the proper procedure to stop the EV miles from depleting when you go on the interstate and is this really necessary, should you just leave it in the eco mode?

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  2. Room23

Room23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had the same problem. When I first got on to the highway after pushing the EV/HV button I also notice that my EV miles would continue to be depleated for a short time. This happened when I pushed the HV/EV button while on the on ramp. After a few times I found that if I were to push the button just a little earlier, say 300-400 yards before I got to the highway the engine was warm enough not to need the battery to get up to highway speeds. My EV milage does not go down anymore when getting on the highway after pushing the button a little earlier.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is correct. It uses mostly EV while it is in warm up cycle. This is why your EV goes down at first.

babybird likes this.
  4. akm3

akm3 First time Lebowski'er

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you take 'the slow way home' are you getting better MPG at the expense of actually driving more distance to do it? That seems like a bad idea. Just asking.

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my case the slow route I take is parallel to the fast route so distance is a little shorter on the slow route. :)

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Once HV mode is engaged, EV-BOOST will deplete EV miles until the initial phase of warm-up completes. That's roughly 60 seconds. It's purpose is to reduce both emissions & consumption by heavily drawing from the battery-pack to allow the engine to run at a lower RPM, despite high demand.

There is no way to circumvent that behavior; it's the point of Prius being a plug-in hybrid. The system momentarily takes advantage of having both an engine & motor available. Pressing the button multiple times doesn't do anything either, since the event is controlled by time.

7. MK500

MK500 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a great thread. I feel like I learn something new every day on Prius Chat :)

So I should push HV on slow side streets about 60 seconds before entering the highway to reduce EV depletion. I'm only at about 900 miles so far and it's almost exclusively city driving; but I'm looking forward to eventually taking a road trip.

We have used exactly 6 gallons of gas so far for 884.2 miles driven. It's mind blowing compared to the 20MPG or so we were averaging in our Civic. My wife and I LOVE our PiP :)

I need to call around to see if I can find a spare; as I had to use one on my other car this year and realized how useful they are. Kurbmaster: $45 sounds like a very good deal for your spare.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You'll have to try and see. My guess is that it is better for fuel economy to hit HV as soon as you have a straight shot to the freeway, no red lights or stops signs. You don't want to use EV at high speeds but you also don't want the ICE on while idle. Since I enter the freeway at a decline, I don't press HV until I am at the bottom of the hill. By that time I am well into the freeway and going 60 mph despite being in EV mode with the HSI indicator empty, coasting in other words. So, there are a lot of factors involved for best fuel consumption.

A Civic with 20 mpg? That's like a Prius getting 35 mpg! Something must've wrong with the car.

9. MK500

MK500 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It was caused by us living on a hill with very steep streets and constantly doing short (10 mile) trips. So we would go down the hill with the brakes blazing, and then come right back up again burning tons of gas. Repeat 3 times a day. It was pretty worst-case-scenario for gas car (and close to best case for PiP). It's amazing how much gas you can burn on a single steep hill climb.

When we rarely went on road trips the Civic would get MUCH better MPG than 20 on the highway. But that was only like 5% or our annual driving so it didn't bring up our numbers much.

mmmodem likes this.
  10. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also live on a hill. Our gas only cars had EPA ratings from ~ 22 to 28 mpg. We averaged 16 to 18 mpg around town and equaled or bettered the EPA ratings on the highway. Our Camry hybrid average was better at 30 mpg. Our PIP is averaging ~120 mpg.

chesleyn likes this.
  11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Spring has finally arrived and MPG is climbing. Though the temp was only just above freezing, this morning's commute (just under 17 miles with half at 70 mph) ended up at 181 MPG. :cool:

retired4999 likes this.
  12. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What year is your Miata? The finish looks great! I have a '91 which my son bought new in November of '90.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can circumvent the behavior by switching to HV mode 60 seconds earlier.

14. MK500

MK500 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I could go on and on about my love affair with the Miata, but I know it's a BIT off topic; so I'll try to keep it short.

I bought my first one in 90 as well. Bright red. I was 20 years old and living on my own far away from where I grew up. Got my first big promotion at work so bought my baby. I called every dealer in the state and finally negotiated a deal for $12K new (most of their lot was trucks). The dealership went out of business 2 weeks later. Every night after work and every weekend I drove it constantly exploring all over the Eastern US. I would put 2,000 miles on in a weekend and sleep in the car by the ocean. Gas was around $1/gallon. They were incredibly rare back then and people would ask me if it was a Ferrari when I stopped at gas stations. Every Miata owner would wave when they saw another back then with that "knowing smile". 4 years later I met with some hard financial times and had to sell it to help fund a cross-country move. I was very sad.

I bought my second - a '97 - after a few years out West. Met my wife and we had great dates and adventures. We would throw the bikes on a rack and drive to Yosemite for the weekend. We held hands the first time resting on the trunk looking up at the stars in the incredibly clear sky there. I have a picture of us sitting on the back "parade style" at our wedding. I had to sell it 2 years later to help with the down payment for our house. Boy were we broke then. It was cheap Civic and noodles and rice for a few years while we settled into house expenses.

In 2001 things were going well with my career (dot-com boom) and my wife said I could buy a used Miata if I wanted. I ran out and found a one-year-old 2001 bright red with 10K miles on it for $14K. That's the one in the picture. It is a garage queen with 30K miles. When I need to blow off steam or just feel awesome; I dig it out of the back of the garage and lower the top no matter what the temperature. 30 miles on coastal highway 1 and I'm 20 again.

I've driven a lot of cars; including a top of the line Ferrari 458...but the Miata is still my favorite. Light, simple, reliable, and pure fun. And for some reason it fits me like a glove.

Yeah, that's the short version :)

Part of what makes me love my Prius is the feeling of freedom it gives me. I can drive to the beach and take a bike ride; then come home all on $0.20 worth of electricity. This reminds me of my days of roving with $1 gas back in the '90s. I guess I'm getting old; but putting $60 worth of gas in the Miata for a full fill-up is very painful. I feel guilty spending that much. I have a daughter who will be needing college money in 12 years.

15. kurbmaster

kurbmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My commute to work is about 1 mile shorter the slow way. So I am starting to take it more and more everyday I work.
    I was running late and I hustled the short way with all its twist and turns and I got it down to only 3 minutes longer that way.

Meanwhile I ordered a hidden hitch for my PIP and cant wait to hook it up. My airstream should look fantastic being pulled behind it (only kidding) . I have a small motorcycle trailer and a dirt bike that I might tow a couple of times a year. The motorcycle trailer converts into a box trailer that I might put four bicycles in. Can't wait till I get it hooked up.

16. MK500

MK500 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Airstream :-D

Let us know how that hitch and trailer work out. I'd love to see pictures. My father always had a little trailer around that he built. It was so useful for everything from motorcycles/4wheeler/snowmobile and bikes to furniture. I pulled it quite a few times with a '85 civic wagon which probably had 70HP; but it was a manual.

17. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Spring is awesome - EV read now up to 13.2 and actual is usually about 15 now.
    Considering my car was bought 5 weeks ago with 20 dealer gas miles on it I'm now close to 600 mpg
    and actual 90% EV - check the read + back out the dealer miles...
    Now down 2 dots on the gas thingy - at this rate I may not need a fill-up for 6 months !

anyone ever maintain 90%+ ?
    [​IMG]

MK500 likes this.
  18. MK500

MK500 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    74% is about the best we've been able to do so far for various reasons (see threads about living on hill). We're working on improving that. 90% is freaking awesome!

We are on our first tank of gas since new also. So far we have burned 7.6 gallons of gas and driven 1,161 miles in about 5 weeks :)

3PriusMike did a 3,424 mile tank, but even then he was like 82% I think. Check out this thread:

3000+ mile tank | PriusChat

19. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the feedback.
    3PriusMike - you're my target and I'm coming !
    I think I can do it - just hit 1255 two gas bars down so 5,000-6,000 pace...
    Its interesting - to some negs are "not fun to drive" and sure its no a sports car but this hyper mpg thing is fun for me

20. kurbmaster

kurbmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hitch was bought two weeks ago they never shipped it ..said they will ship it today. I will take a picture when I get it hooked up.