1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing Tear Drop Trailer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Saphteemon, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Saphteemon

Saphteemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So....now that I have the Prius......I'm thinking about buying a tear drop trailer for some weekend camping....[IMGLINK]
    http://www.roamingtimes.com/a/consumer/images/camp-inn-teardrop-trailer.jpg[/IMGLINK]

2. Saphteemon

Saphteemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. Saphteemon

Saphteemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    they typically weight about 1000 lbs and have a 90 lb. tongue weight....

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tents are much lighter, and even more aerodynamic. Especially in the trunk. ;)

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Read the manual... Toyota doesn't recommend towing anything with the Prius.

2 people like this.
  6. Saphteemon

Saphteemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    phooey......guess i'll have to use my f-250 then.......:p:p

1 person likes this.
  7. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll bet you could easily tow a trailer designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle. Some of them hold a lot of volume and most are very light and aerodynamic.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh I agree, I have a single place trailer I haul trash and stuff with I had plans to hookup to the Prius. Probably still could but I suspect it would void the warranty.

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People have towed light trailers (<1000 pounds) with the Prius, but I'd recommend not doing a lot of it, and keep the speeds lower.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. If you save up for the fuel all year it shouldn't strain the budget too much.

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This travel trailer weighs about 560 pounds empty. I've towed it about 600 miles so far, and I'm generally happy with it. The only complaint is the 32 mpg. I guess the aerodynamics could be a bit better... The power is adequate, certainly better than many trucks on the same roads. And this with a Gen2 - a Gen3 has considerably more power.

12. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just curious, but what advantage do these little trailers offer over a good quality 4 person tent?

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No tent to erect!

14. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have used my 2009 to tow and launch my 17 foot day sailor - the trailer and boat weigh about 750 pounds and I have been very happy with how the Prius handled it. Your trailer will likely be heavier, but aerodynamics should be a world better than a sailboat.

On my commute someone has a Tab teardrop trailer parked in their driveway. It is awfully cute and in looking at thir website it seems to be very well thought out and cool.

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My trailer replaces exactly that. The trailer is off the ground, which means that it is easier to get into, and the surface that you sleep on is not dependent on the surface of the ground. It's a lot drier than a tent in wet weather, particularly if you end up in what turns out to be a streambed. I have a 6" foam mattress in the trailer, instead of the air mattress used in the tent. In general, the trailer travels already set up, while a tent and cooking gear are a project every time you settle.

On the other hand, the car mileage sucks (32 mpg instead of 47), you can't travel as fast (55-60 mph instead of 65-70). Parking lots can be a problem, depending on how they're set up. Towing anything is a bigger project than not towing it. There is a campsite I regularly use that is accessed by a 6 mile long dirt road that is already marginal for travel in the Prius. The space at the site is limited, and turning the car around is a problem. I'd like to take the trailer there next time, but I'm not sure it will work.

So the answer is that a small trailer is a step up in convenience and comfort from a tent. It's no replacement for the home-on-wheels many people use, but then $1000 buys you less than $80,000.

16. Saphteemon

Saphteemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I like it......:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

1 person likes this.
  17. dinger_greg

dinger_greg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is that the 4x8 trailer they sell at Harbor Freight?

18. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The red part is the Harbor Freight foldable 4x8 trailer. They have another one that doesn't fold that's rated for a bit more weight. They have sales all the time, plus you can usually get a 20% off coupon. I think I paid about $240 after all the games, down from $400 list.

The brown part is 4x8 sheets of 1/2" plywood from Lowes/Home Depot. Plus some 2"x2" for bracing and to attach the plywood at corners.

All of the ready made teardrops that I've seen are a lot heavier than the 560 pounds that this one came out at. That may work with a stronger car, but I was trying hard to keep the weight at a minimum with conventional materials. A conventional teardrop shape is certainly more aerodynamic, but also an order of magnitude more difficult to build.

As for plans, buy a trailer & cut some plywood to fit. The two sides clamped together and cut as one piece, including the door openings. Other than that, the smaller pieces were roughly cut oversize, assembled, and the excess trimmed off with a router.

The first upgrade that I'd recommend is to use a 5x8 trailer with 5 lug tires. But that's another $400 and a few more pounds. Plus you'd have to either build up some 5x8 sheets of plywood from 4x8 stock, or use 5x10 sheets at 4x the price. It's a 4x8 world out there...

19. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rob, I like your no nonsense solution to building a trailer.:cool:

You could build rounded end caps from foam plastic and fiberglass and even make them into storage compartments (with access holes to use them from inside the trailer so you don't need outside doors on them).for light stuff. They would help the aerodynamics. Whether is would be worth the effort or not, is another question.

1 person likes this.