1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyo Guard Sealant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by A. B. Hair, Aug 6, 2006.

1. A. B. Hair

A. B. Hair New Member

Rural area called Powdersville, 10 miles out of Gr
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2 day old Prius that came with the Toyo Guard sealant. I did not order it with the sealant and did not have to pay for it. At this time I have not washed the car. It does not seem slick as a newly waxed car. I asked how I should care for it at the dealers and they say just wash. I looked on the internet but did not find any instuctions.
    I have been a Zanio fan for some time and need help with Toyo Guard. Can any one help me? I did get a bottle of cleaneer and sealer with the car.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. B. Hair @ Aug 6 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]298634[/snapback]</div>
    The sealants that the dealer applies is no better than a good sealant that you can apply yourself... and will last about a year under good conditions. If all you do is wash the car, the sealant will stay in pretty good shape for the year. As soon as you do a full-on Zaino job (starting with Dawn, etc) you'll be stripping the sealant off, and starting over with whatever it is you decide to apply. Just treat it like a Zaino wax job for now, or just start over with Zaino and forget what's on there. Whatever seems to make the most sense to you. Paint sealants are one of those high margin items for the dealer. I'm glad you didn't pay for it!

3. A. B. Hair

A. B. Hair New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 6 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]298766[/snapback]</div>
    Many thanks, you confirmed my thinking. I do keep cars in my garage so I will last at least until the hot weather is over here. One cool day in the fall I'll do a zanio job fully with dawn wash and te whole bit.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 6 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]298766[/snapback]</div>
    Dawn won't remove sealant, and neither does claying when done properly with plenty of lubricant. Dawn will strip wax but not sealant.

5. A. B. Hair

A. B. Hair New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 6 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]298841[/snapback]</div>
    Priusenvy, Thanks, then what would you recommend I should do. I did get a bottle of cleaner - sealer with the car. The car has very little "slick" feel that I like!

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. B. Hair @ Aug 7 2006, 04:03 AM) [snapback]298951[/snapback]</div>
    Most sealants will not bond properly if applied over wax, that's why Zaino recommends the Dawn wash.

In most cases, Zaino will bond when applied over other sealants, and even some glazes. Over at detailcity.org, I've read of lots of people applying Zaino over Klasse AIO, and even Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, which is a combination of polish and glaze.

I'd just try applying the Zaino over what you've got, after a Dawn wash to insure that any wax was removed. If it doesn't bond and is gone in a few weeks, you've only wasted 1/2 hour of your life. The next time you can use Klasse AIO or a polish with abrasives to prepare the surface. Don't let the word "abrasives" scare you, the polishing agents in a product like Menzerna Final Polish II are extremely fine and break down when applied with an orbital polisher, and are used to create a perfect, swirl-free surface prior to applying a final protective layer of wax or sealant. By using a high quality polish like Menzerna I can actually polish my paint to a higher gloss before applying sealant than most people can get after applying sealant.