1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota’s World’s Most Thermal Efficient Engine; 38.5 percent, Turbo Joining!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota’s World’s Most Thermal Efficient Engine; 38.5 percent, Turbo Joining!
    Toyota's World's Most Thermal Efficient Engine, Turbo Joining - Cars Bikes Trucks

Lightweight materials, improved batteries, improved engine efficiency + turbos. The 42.4% and 43.7 % was a year ago. I wonder if they reached the 45% target for the next Gen Prius.

Toyota targets 45% thermal efficiency for engines in next-gen hybrids!
    Toyota targets 45% thermal efficiency for engines in next-gen hybrids

2. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really interesting news.

I hope it's not just a "gimmick"--i.e., great efficiency under fairly rare conditions.

The real trick is to increase efficiency over the whole set of conditions generally seen in ordinary driving.

Does anyone know how these new engines do on that score?

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure they mean for a normal aspirated gasoline engine. Other engines like turbo diesels have higher efficiencies.

The 2.5L is an atkinson ice, so I would assume it needs a hybrid system to keep it at proper load. DI should allow for better efficiency at lower power levels than our 1.8L port injected prius engine, but it is a bigger engine too which means more friction. 38.5% is less than I expected, since they were talking about 42% in the lab.
    There are no real details on the 2L di gas turbo. Its likely that this will find duty in both hybrids and non-hybrids. If its designed like bmw's 2L turbo (28i) it should have good low to moderate power efficiency and good low end torque, at high power it will likely guzzle gas. An ECO button could keep you out of this high power, high fuel consumption area.

4. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking forward to the next generation Prius. With this engine tech, improved batteries and evolution of the in car electronic this will be an interesting vehicle. I can't wait. I hope they keep the flying bridge design inside!!!

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A 2.5L is too big for a Prius - If I had to guess where it would go - I'd say a SUV like the Highlander Hybrid. If the mod was for a smaller engine - I'd be thinking Prius c/v/liftback or even the PiP.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its in the same engine family and size as the camry hybrid. The direct injection is what is new, and this should provide both more power and efficiency, but should cost more to manufacture ($100-$300). I don't know if its a replacement or if they will keep the 2AR-FXE in some hybrids and use this new di version in others.

I agree that this won't be in the next prius, but they may put in similar technology to increase its efficiency.

I don't think the AR has enough power for the highlander hybrid. The more efficient 2L turbo coming out in 2014 may find its way in the highlander and Lexus RX, in both hybrid and non-hybrid versions. Ford seems to be doing well with its 2L turbo explorer. Since this looks to be toyota's most efficient engine, I would love the 2L to be a prius option.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The new Rav4 Hybrid will probably get the new 2.5L engine along with the Lexus IS and the 2.0L for Prius v.

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have any links or information about a rav4 hybrid?

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not saying there won't be a rav4 hybrid, I just haven't heard a peep about it, so I doubt the 2.5 engine is getting launched in it. I'm guessing we won't see one until at least 2014 (2015 my), although I have no inside information. That 2L turbo might be a better fit.;)

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hybrid Rav4 was mentioned in a throw away comment among the news of Toyota's improved engines, EVs, and FCHVs.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

I mentioned this before, it is "old" news from Toyota presentation week ago.

It is new AR engine for Lexus RWD application, going into new IS300h, which Lexus Europe claims to have under 100g/100km, which is around CT200h levels in Europe and better than Camry. Currently Camry V6 is around 10% more efficient than Lexus 350 with D4S.

It has D4S - dual port and direct injection, new system featured in FRS and modified from one in 2GR-FSE (Lexus GS350h).

Lexus will use it to differentiate between Toyota's with FWD HSD.

It seems they managed to improved the fuel efficiency from the engine used in Camry by 10%+... it is hard to say like this.... and also improved hp/torque by similar amounts.

With this kind of improvement, they might be using lion batteries as well, as it is hard to see 10% improvement from very efficient 2AR-FXE by just adding D4S. D4S can improve around 7-10% both efficiency and output compared to regular MPI engine, not HSD. In their PR, Toyota mentioned "high output battery" but who knows what that actually means.

I would guess this goes into IS300h and GS300h at least... engine going into FWD applications will most likely be the same as in Camry hybrid.

Since it has both dual and port injection, so double the injectors, cost is a bit higher. Toyota said it is useful on engines over 2.0l while borderline on their 1.6l (compared to 1.6l Valvematic probably). It is probably about the same cost as adding start/stop to non-hybrid car and these things add up all together.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

hybrid of rav4 is certainly coming... new rav4 is being launched within months. Since Rav4 is supposed to move to Camry platform, it will obviously use same engine as Camry.

Turbo is supposed to come in one vehicle in 2014... Rav4 is coming out in 2013... so who knows how that works. Looking how Ecoboost doesnt get good real life mileage, I am not sure what will they do with it. Fusion 1.6l got almost the worst fuel mileage in MT comparo and it wasnt faster either.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure where you come up with this stuff. Toyota firmly stated there wasn't going to be a rav4 hybrid at launch, that this year there would be a rav4 ev and not hybrid. There could definitely be one in 2013 or later, and I would expect that the redesign made allowances for a possible hybrid. No reason that the camry doesn't get the di engine when its developed, is there? Its the same family, I would assume it would fit. Did they really move the rav4 to the camry platform?

Toyota's announcement says they are finally getting an efficient 2L trubo. Your anti-ecoboost rants may end when toyota starts producing di turbo gas engines:) They seem to get better mileage in real life and on tests, or do you think toyota is lying when they say its 2L turbo will be even more efficient than the 2.5L Di atkinson? Why would they only put it in one vehicle? I would expect that the turbo will be an option in many of Toyota's cars.

According to one motor trend source, it might be dumb to have a rav 4 hybrid before a venza hybrid.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Some additional information, and some speculation
    Toyota overhauls engine plans - Autoweek
    Its clear this change comes from the top to add DI and turbocharging.

I'm thinking this would be worthwhile in the Prius, but say it only adds 2 mpg, will people pay $128 more for a prius that already gets great mileage?
    That is different most DI use multihole. No real explanation. This is the speculation about the roll out of the Atkinson AR DI engine

It looks like its the bean counters versus the president on how fast this rolls out. The move to turbos was telegraphed in January
    Toyota Ready to Fight Back With Downsized Turbo Engines | TheDetroitBureau.com

The turbo should be out in 2014.

18. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bigger engine means less losses overall. Total friction losses may increase when increasing displacement, also wall and irreversible thermal losses, but power also increases at a higher extent.

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

There is no change from the "top", all of this has been in works for past 10 years at least.

D4S started in 2006, Toyota published papers to SAE about how it works in 2GR-FSE engine.

Only question is who is going to pay for the bill, technology is there and has been.

20. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol spwolf,

Read the articles. Toyota has lagged in DI and turbo charging, they are now changing. They only were putting DI in lexus, and never have produced a efficiency turbo, only a few power turbos a long time ago. Sure they have been doing R&D for a long time, but if they had been really investing they wouldn't have needed gazoo
    Gazoo Racing Builds Toyota Yaris Turbo Concept with 180-Horses [Video] - Carscoop

Akido Toyoda is trying to change things. If they were trying hard for 10 years they would have many cars with the technology today. I wish him well. IMHO it is the right direction.