1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Canada Expands 2014 Highlander Hybrid Models to 3 (with Pricing)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That was unexpected - 3 trim levels for the HiHy, given that the U.S. shrunk it down to 1.

2. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I am surprised to see that in the Limited they included the lane departure system.

In my 2010 ATP Prius, it seemed that it was not accepted by Toyota Canada, and was seen on US models only. Not sure if they felt Canadian roads didn't have enough pavement markers or it was some other reason for dropping that item. Not something that I think would have activated in my car maybe more than once over 5 years, but just didn't understand the omission.

If I needed an SUV to get around, a Highlander Hybrid would be high on my list.

Roland

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lane Departure Alert is different from Lane Keep Assist. LDA (sometimes called LDW by other manufacturers) is simply a warning (audible, sensual, visual or any combination of the three) that you're drifting out of the lane. Some will have steering wheel resistance that increases resistance in the "wrong" direction and decreases resistance to the direction back to the centre of the lane.

Lane Keep Assist will physically keep you in the centre of the lane and thus has a steering input ECU and a camera to view the lane markings. This system will nudge the steering wheel to keep you in the lane if it senses that you're at the edge of the lane. In addition, it can help with steering around corners on the highway, making highway driving even more relaxing (when combined with DRCC).

As we do drive in the States often, I was disappointed that LKA was included in 2010 but more importantly, LED headlights weren't available on the Technology Package as we do have longer nights (maybe except for southern Ontario) and better lights would have been very useful. In addition, it packaged headlight washers, good for Spring melt with slurry of melting snow and sand constantly coating the front of the car. (Well, really all sides of the car except the roof). I understand that they wanted to keep the price down (it was $36,565 if you remember, with $1,495 as PDI vs. US$35k with $795 freight/delivery in the US for a 2010 Prius V w/ AT Package)

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh and you'll notice that with a lot of new vehicles, the "Technology Package" or "Safety Package" or "Driver Assistance Package" will include the following 3 items:

• Blind Spot Monitor (Blind Spot Monitoring System)
    • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
    • Lane Departure Warning System

My guess is that the same supplier is supplying these manufacturers as they all use the same ultrasonic sensor (similar to the backup sensors) mounted on the side of the car on the corner of the rear bumper. It certainly cheaper than a mirror-mounted camera that Volvo uses.

5. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I stand corrected... I was remembering the LKA system and that blank button on my Canadian steering wheel.

The headlight washers included with the LED lighting package we couldn't get would be good, but I thought that the output of the system was not as good as the halogen projectors at first because fog lights were included to fill in when the cars were equipped with the LED's. Having said that, I added the factory fog light kit to my halogen's, which I upgraded to HID 35watt because I found the dark wet conditions prevalent around here for months needed things kicked up a notch. Part of that is age I'm sure though, just turned 58 today actually.

Roland

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota tends to include foglights on upper trim levels (Camry XLE, Avalon Limited, Yaris RS etc etc).

Your car is starting to sound like mine. I have MobileHID 5000K HIDs for my low beams (35W) and I installed OEM fogs (from PriusChat) among other things.

7. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Both ATP 2010 Canuk models running the Pacific Northwest... almost to be expected.

Roland

8. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Great!

This is the kind of car that is missing from Toyotas lineup in Europe. Great idea to use hybrid propulsion where it can make a big difference - in heavy vehicles.

9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This HiHy features the same Lexus RX450h powertrain.
    It would be interesting to see IS300h 2.5 l in a RAV4, though.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding the LED headlights, headlight washers and foglights (all of which we have with the Canadian "Touring" package:

I believe the headlight washers were mandated with LED headlights, since they don't produce enough heat to melt snow. The foglights are pretty subtle, ie: they don't change the lighting much. You can tell they're on, that's about it. I rarely use the fogs, can't remember ever using the washers, except to test.

11. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Hm. I use halogen headlights on my Prius now but they tend to light up the road very poorly during the dark months here in Sweden, i recon it is the same in Canada also. Washers were not included on the Prius(+) which makes it very difficult this time of year. The headlights tend to get so dirty after a few miles that you barely can se the lights are on. So I am a little surprised that the canadian Highlander didn't include better headlamps and washers :)

Roland1555 likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Headlight washers are not mandatory in North America with HID or LED headlights so we rarely see them offered on this side of the pond. For us, the headlight washers are offered on the Prius v with LED headlights; none on halogen models.

They'll be used if you use the windshield washer while the headlights are on.

13. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Despite the headlight washers not being mandatory, the Prius tended to be a car that was well equipped in terms of having a good compliment of high tech and high end equipment.

When I lived back east and had to commute daily on crowded salt covered highways you tended to rapidly go through windshield washer fluid trying to maintain some visibility. I'd always have to use the squeegee wash brush with the tank of anti-freeze they'd put out at the gas stations to clean my headlights that had a thick baked on coating of salty dirty film on them. The lamp heat, read here halogens, would cook the stuff onto the housing. this makes me wonder more why they only thought about a lack of heat with the LED units as a reason to fit the washer system for the headlights. Although the halogens can melt the snow and ice, they still get very dirty with the output suffering until cleaned.

Would be nice to see this function added to more models of not just the Highlander Limited and the Prius touring, but to all. Think Toyota should place a greater emphasis on this as it really helps with safety.

Roland

priusplusowner likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You mean if I activate the windshield washer the headlight washer jets also squirt out some? I'm not sure, but I don't think that happens. I could check it out. There is a dedicated switch for the headlight washers. And it only works if the headlights are on.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, the headlight washer button works if the headlights are on but it is also tied to the windshield washer and will spray if you activate the windshield washer and the headlight low beams are on.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think manufacturers might be shy to do so here with ridicule luxury cars got that had headlight wipers.

17. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I did not know that it was fashionable to ridicule cars with headlamp washer systems.

If my car had them I would be pleased, however where I live now it is not something that would be as desirable since weather conditions locally tend to be only rainy and wet in the winter months.

Roland

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He said wipers, not washers. The only two manufacturers that I know of that had headlight wipers were Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

19. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Wipers/washers equal the same end result if they are functional.

If the ridicule was limited to the little wipers and not to headlamp cleaning, does it mean that in dark poorly lit places we should be made to stop and get out of our cars to clean our headlamps by some other means rather than a flick of a steering wheel mounted stalk or button? I'd rather see more vehicles have the system as standard, but personally I like the pop out washer system better than those tiny wipers with adjacent washer nozzles.

Just as a touch free car wash sometimes doesn't work as well as when a wash mitt is used, I guess some car makers felt that they should mirror the method used to clean windscreens. But they do look less attractive that pop outs.

Again, my point is only that I'd be happy if this washer was in greater use, not restricted to Prius touring/LED models or Highlander Limited. If it has value on certain models, this value could be shared at minimal cost I'd think.

Roland

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    After amount of salt that built up on the car this season, pop up washers for the headlights seem like a good idea. My headlights looked worse than age fogged ones, with noticeably dimmer output. More than likely, I wouldn't have opted for washers when I bought the car though. Winters just aren't bad enough to warrant it in most of the lower 48, and that is likely why they are mostly limited to luxury and high trim models still. There isn't the demand for them from most buyers, and unfortunately for Canada and Alaska, that is what drives manufacturer decisions on these issues.

The headlight wipers were just silly and ostentatious down here. "Look at me. I can afford tiny wipers for my headlights that cost more to replace than your windshield ones."

I think just driving slower to account for lower headlight output would just be fine. If from snow build up, you should be going slower already.

The times I have been driving in a snow storm heavy enough to cover cool running head lights, I would have welcomed it. The headlight reflection off the falling snow can be blinding. I once drove with just the parking lights on through a storm because I could see farther without the headlights on.

A question. Most high output LEDs require a heatsink. Couldn't the heatsink be designed to direct the heat to help melt any snow or ice?