1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota "care" ignores tire pressure requests & resets Trip A?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Coyotefred, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'Just got my PiP back from my 25K service at the local "Toyota care" provide (dealer) and, as they've done twice before now, they ignored my instructions to leave the tire pressure at 42PSI (well within the tire manufacturer's specs), and they've reset my Trip A computer. Even though the "intake" employee specifically wrote the 42PSI on the work order, the guys in the garage just crossed that out and set them to the "factory specified" 35PSI.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Trip A wasn't reset on my 5K and 10K visits, so whatever they needed to do to reset the "maintenance needed" pop-up didn't erase Trip A the first few times.

I'm also not sure whether tire rotation was part of the 25,000 mile service or not, but they did it...never asked even though I had snow tires on...and then mounted the directional snows the wrong way on two wheels.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They reset the trip A meter 90% of the time for me too. :(

I use it to track miles driven between fill ups for Fuelly.

They always set the air pressures down to factory spec as well. Must be a liability thing.

3. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I too asked for 42 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear at my local Toyota dealer recently, they set the pressure to 35 psi!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine didn't do anything. and i mean anything! not sure which is worse.:rolleyes:

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dealer usually gets it right but sometimes they forget or the service guy just does not check or does not care how the customer wants things done. Then I have to remind them.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When getting service on an extended road trip, I had a tire pressure argument directly with the tech. Coming in highway hot, he found my pressure 'dangerously high', and wouldn't allow them to remain that high. We finally compromised at 40 psi. Which, after adjusting for overnight cooling and a 6000 foot descent the next day, left them underinflated. I'm very thankful I didn't allow him to drop the (hot, high altitude) pressure to the door label figure.

My selling dealerships delivered the cars at 40/39 psi, and never lowered them during service visits.

They reset only Trip A? At my first service, they reset Trip B too. Now I record numbers as the car goes in.

Tire rotations? The norm for that is every 5k miles. I'd make them put the wrong-way directionals back the right way.

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is why...

after 4 years and 62,000 miles, my 2010 has never been back to a dealer lot. :)

8. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    5000 miles service this week. had pressure up to 40 they lowered to 35 all around. Also asked about Entune up grade said they don't do up grade unless you are experiencing trouble with it. told Service adviser to write down I'm having trouble with Entune. They installed the up grade.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 was prior to Toyota Care but being my first Toyota I carried it to the dealer the first few service intervals "to establish a relationship". After lowering tire pressure and over tightening the oil pan drain plug, the oil filter and the tire lugs I gave up and have DIY ever since.

10. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The only time I got the tire pressure I wanted was when we picked up the PIP. I asked for 41psi and the service manager got the hose out and checked them. They were already at 41psi. This issue is of special concern with Ecopia tires, because they seem to have flimsier sidewalls than typical non-LRR tires, and handle much better at 40psi and higher. 35psi seems to raise the chances for a flat, according to experiences with them by Leaf owners.

11. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I'm glad (?) I'm not the only one... I suppose the tire pressure is a liability issue, but I don't remember ever having this issue with my previous vehicles when I requested a specific tire pressure. But not getting a directional tire back on correctly is ridiculous.

'Funny this is that they are almost aggressive about wanting you to give them their "5 star rating" on the customer service survey...they remind you several times as you are picking up keys/getting the paperwork. 'Not this time... Although they did give me a free "car wash"...

12. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Guys, in order to shut off the maint. light, doesn't it require the trip meter to be pressed and held with another action being done? I'm reading this over with a vague recollection of how to get the main light off... or am I thinking of years ago? It's late. My service staff's gone. Just thinking the trip meter's reset isn't accidental.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The maintenance reset does involve pushing the trip reset button, but if done correctly, TripA and TripB are not reset. But flub it, and the Trip values are gone.

The techs have done it correctly on my cars every time since that first flub.

14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) Set trip odometer to display A (not total miles, not miles remaining, but trip display A)
    2) Power off the car
    3) Press the MPH/KPH button on the dash and keep it pressed down
    4) With the MPH/KPH button still held down, press the car's Power button normally, until the car starts. Keep the MPH/KPH button held down.
    5) On the speedometer display, where the "nag" message appears, a Progress Indicator Scale will appear, with a message that says something like "Resetting Maintenance Indicator." Keep MPH/KPH held down until the progress bar completes and goes away.
    6) NOW you can let go of the MPH/KPH button.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/howto-resetting-the-oil-maintenance-required-indicator.70054/page-3#ixzz2prWAK0Li
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  15. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmmmm....this would also explain why my dash was reading the speed in KPH rather than MPH... :mad: I thought I had accidentally hit the MPH/KPH button myself, but with your instructions here I'm guessing the tech was responsible for that too...

16. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anyone know if they reset your TPMS sensor via the button under the dash? There's probably no way to know, so I'll just have to redo my own TPMS re-setting again. I raise the tire pressures much higher so that a 25% drop from that point is effectively maybe 4 pounds or so under my desired running tire pressure of 42/40. When I got it their new I'll tires were plus or -40 pounds, so maybe they will leave my tire pressure alone, hopefully.

17. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for tip to tell them my problem with Entune to ensure I get it. :)
    When told they could not turn off seat belt alarm, I pleasantly asked if he would mind showing me the rule that they could not, because the alarm is so annoying. He came to waiting room and asked if I wanted both sets done. (yes). :) :)

He asked if I wanted 44/42 psi. I requested 42/40. He also noted my request not to reset the TPMS monitor.

18. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    G
    Good but I am surprised they will silence the seat belt alarm.

19. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ..." I pleasantly asked if he would mind showing me the rule that they could not, because the alarm is so annoying."
    Maybe, not having an actual "rule" to show me why they could not do it, was the key, I don't know. But they turned off the sea belt alarm!

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I pick up the car, I check the tire pressure. If it is not right, I go back to the Service Manager inform him there is a problem, it's taken care of. I also give them a printed list in big font, of what I want done during this service visit!
    It works for me!