1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota: Cars Will Be Safer, but Still Need Drivers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Sep 5, 2014.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota: Cars Will Be Safer, but Still Need Drivers - ABC News

Toyota expects by "mid-decade" to roll out a next generation of safety systems in the U.S. that allow cars to steer themselves enough to stay in the center of a lane. And to keep the driver focused on the task at hand — driving — the cars will also feature a camera that monitors the driver's eyes and makes sure that hands are on the steering wheel. If the eyes drift off the road or hands come off the wheel, the car would issue a warning.

"In other words, a full-time back-seat driver," Ken Koibuchi, general manager of Toyota's intelligent vehicle division, said at Thursday's briefing.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Only if it talks like Eve off Wall-e or the voice from the Nintendo Wii. If it beeps constantly or has some boring bloke saying "warning, eyes off road" then it'll be disabled by me and quickly :)

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm so glad Lane Keeping was left off my PIP for that very reason. Constant beeping whenever it lost or found the lane markers, and very odd feeling steering assist that was more tiring than useful.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been in IT too long to trust a computer to navigate for me. On a closed course, maybe I'd be fine, but on a public road with crazy drivers at random?