1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota eats Volkswagen's lunch. Prius outsells TDI by 4X

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The numbers are useful but there could be supply problems for both hybrids and diesels. The ratios may reflect the limits of manufacturing.

Bob Wilson

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my first thought. The terms may not be totally even.

Thannks for posting the link though Rybold! :)

4. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    According to what I've read, VW has not brought that many TDI cars to the USA. However, this will change soon once the Golf TDI (based on the Mk. VI Golf) arrives within the next month or so.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Better check the date of what you read.

116 Golf TDI were purchased in the US in October.

Supply could still be an issue, but we've been hearing the same story for 3 years now. Remember when ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) became available?

6. sola

sola New Member

I don't think there should be any supply problems for TDIs. Volkswagen likely builds them here in Europe along with the EU models. They are building loads of those models because they are popular here.

I wouldn't buy a Golf or Jetta diesel if I had the option for a Prius or similar. They are the same old tech as gas cars, nothing new or inspiring. Their relatively better efficiency simply comes from the higher energy content of diesel.

In the EU it is not mandatory to equip diesels (in most of the countries) with particulate filters and diesels are 50% of car sales. You can imagine the air quality we have, it is just catastrophic. I would be the happiest person in the world if diesels were simply banned here. Air quality would improve a LOT since, at fleet level, gas cars pollute an awful less, if PDFs are not forced.

Electrification is the way to go, diesel is a dead end.

7. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Golf will not be as big of a seller here are the Jetta unless North American buyer habits change. Many people prefer sedans over hatchbacks. The Jetta often outsells the Golf 5-to-1. Golfs of all sorts are still just arriving at dealers though so sales could appear low for Golfs in the near future.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sedans suck! My last 6 cars have been hatchbacks: :D

#1 1990 Mustang GT
    #2 1987 Mustang GT
    #3 2000 Trans Am
    #4 1999 Camaro Z28
    #5 2000 C5 Corvette
    #6 2005 Prius (the best of them all)

Attached Files:

9. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow. You went from quite a muscle-car heritage to a hybrid. I congratulate you for driving a hybrid, but how? How did you possibly go from such a long line of muscle cars to a hybrid? :confused:
    (I suppose you are waiting for more powerful hybrids and phevs to come to market over the next few years, right? I am. :) )

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Of course you are right. ;) I would never pass up an affordable high HP/TQ hybrid or PHEV! I still love horespower but I am happy with the Prius.

To answer your question, I started learning more about my impact to my community and the environment we all rely on and I just couldn't stomach driving those beasts anymore. Although the Corvette did get excellent milage (28-30mpg)! So I decided to make changes in my life. I pleased with my choice. :)

These were the two trucks i sold in 2005. The blue truck made more HP than any of my cars lol

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

Man!! that is a great pair of ..ah..."trucks" there!

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aftermarket headlights to be sure but I wasn't complaining! ;)

Ok back on topic!

I kinda like the TDI Wagon. lol

Attached Files:

13. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I share your sentiments. My automotive history:

#1 '77 Honda Civic. Basically a motorcycle with a couple of doors. I was probably the only 16 yr old in my circle of friends who thought at the time it was a good idea to wear a seatbelt.

#2 '81 Buick Sh*tbir^^ er, uh, Skylark. Say no more.

#3 '85 VW Golf. Reliability exemplary, compared to #2. Started up and even ran. Most of the time. A big improvement, until...

#4 '93 Integra. Reset my definition of reliability. Non - maintenance costs over 10yrs came to exactly $80, for a fuel injector relay. Might still have it, had I not test- driven...

#5 '03 RSX type S. Most fun of my bunch to drive. No problems whatsoever in 105K mi. Consistently 30+ mpg, and pushed 40 on long trips, blowing away even the old EPA estimates. But it drank premium. Plus, what good is 200 hp at 7200 rpm in the kind of traffic we have around here?

#6 2010 Prius. Love it. Miss it (in the shop, for probably a long time:()

All with one excruciatingly forgettable exception were hatchbacks, and that's what I want--to be able to carry a bike or other stuff around inside the car when I want to. The "press" might call my tastes unusual for an American, but really, what do they give us to choose from? Sedans and FUVs, mainly.

btw, F8L, how do you like your switch from rwd to fwd? I've always liked the neutral handling of the few rwd cars I've driven, but just try it in an ice storm.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bird of a feather yeah? :) Except for the Buick. What were you thinking man? Hahaha

I generally like rwd much better but when it is really wet out or icy the FWD isn't so bad. :)

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see, you were attracted to the hatch back design for it's utility and practicality.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, you could stick a whole bunch of large speakers back there and the transfer function gave you incredible bass response. :D

It also made it easier when lugging racing slicks to the track with you.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, the Jetta TDI outsold the Insight. Tax credit ($2k) for the TDI surely helped. Honda's decision to bring back the Insight backfired for sure. The sale of HCH tanked after the Insight II came out.

It is clear that the Prius gives the most bang for the buck. Prius best MPG over Jetta TDI in both highway and city (especially) driving. To be fair, there should be tax credit for the Prius as well.

18. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My dad used to fold down the rear seat in his 1964 Corvette to carry racing slicks. You could fit quite a lot back there. At the same time, I think those fold down seats in 1964 might have something to do with why I am here today. :)

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well then, I'm glad your dad bought that car then. :) LOL